I'm trying to sand saddle down. However, most instructions from people say:
1. capo 7th and/or 2nd fret (I have 2 so I'm going to use both)
2. loosen strings
3. remove saddle.

I don't understand how this works. If you put the capo on, then loosen the strings, wouldn't the section AFTER the capo'd area that would be loosened, not where the saddle is? (you're unwinding the string starting from the headstock?

It's my first time, I've already changed my tuning a lot and I'm afraid to snap my strings doing this as they're pretty new.
my husband says he has used a capo when removing saddles, but that the strings will get a little looser even with the capo in place. he doesn't always do it, but does it when he doesn't want the strings to unwind off the tuner posts.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by kamikrazi123
I
I don't understand how this works. If you put the capo on, then loosen the strings, wouldn't the section AFTER the capo'd area that would be loosened, not where the saddle is? (you're unwinding the string starting from the headstock?

Ostensibly, you pull the strings on the saddle side of the capo as you loosen them.

This would work best with a Planet Waves type capo, as you don't have to lock it down fully, just enough to maintain a bit of tension. (A Kyser type would be either fully on, or fully off).

However, take care not to pull hard with a tight capo, or you could possibly burn or scar the rubber under the string..

FWIW, you can tune your guitar with a capo in place. I have to tune that way with my 12 strings. If you tune open and then capo, the pitch and intonation goes haywire because of the differential pitch changes of so many different string gauges.
As Patti says... The only reason I can think of for doing this is to keep the strings in place on the tuning pegs.. But you're still going to have to loosen the strings a lot so that you can remove the bridge pins and then the saddle...
Why not just wait till you need to change strings anyway?
Quote by kamikrazi123
I
1. capo 7th and/or 2nd fret (I have 2 so I'm going to use both)
Dude, there's almost no excuse to use a capo to remove a saddle for sanding.

With that said, there's absolutely NO reason or excuse, to use two.