Hello
I've been playing acoustic guitar and bass for the past two years, and I thought I'd try the electric guitar. I've been using my acoustic as an "electric" guitar for a little bit. My friend who was moving to Alaska gave me his old Squier Affinity Strat that he got at a garage sale since he hasn't played it in a few years.

Now that I have a better grasp of the electric guitar, I think it's time for me to upgrade. Not to mention that I don't like how the strat feels when I play.
My friend asked me to be the 2nd guitarist in his church so that's another reason I'd like to upgrade.

Budget: $200-$250(?)

Favorite Artists: Switchfoot, RHCP, Skillet, Hillsong, Thousand Foot Krutch, Planetshakers

Favorite Genres: Rock/Hard Rock, Metal, Punk, Funk

Preferences: Preferrably not an Ibanez (don't like their necks) and Strats. That probably rules out a lot, but I don't want to throw down money on a guitar that I don't think plays comfortably to me.

Pickups: At least one humbucker would be nice to block "humming" from high gain, but not necessary.

New or Used: Used

Current Gear: Squier Affinity Strat + my Fender Rumble 15 amp.
His church would have me connect my guitar through a multi-effect pedal, into a Presonus mixer, and out the speakers.

Some possible candidates that I've chosen out are:
-Agile AL-2000
-Squier VM Jazzmaster 2012 (if I can find one used)
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard
-Squier VM Telecaster Custom

Thank you in advance!
I'd go for a Squier VM Jag, I have the VM Jazzmaster, and though it's nice, I'm more a Jag fan myself.
MF has $60 off $299, you can get one new with your budget:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/squier-vintage-modified-jaguar-electric-guitar

Also, all of those options are decent, you'd probably be set with any of them to be honest.
OffsetOffset
Last edited by SteveHOC at May 4, 2013,
I'd go with the Jazzmaster just because I like how they look and sound.
The Agile wouldn't be a bad option either.
Bass gear:
-Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass
-Fender Rumble 15 Amp

Guitar Gear:
-Agile AL-2000
-Boss Tu-3 Tuner -> Joyo Vintage Overdrive -> Joyo Vintage Ultimate Overdrive -> Ernie Ball MVP -> TC Nova Repeater