I'm on a tight budget and in need of a new practice amp. I currently have a Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt. I don't use half it's effects, and they sound cheap, it's actually extremely loud, I mean shaking the walls and ceiling loud, is geared toasted metal players, and well...now that I'm getting better at guitar, I want a step up. I play a wide variety of music. Southern rock, classic rock, late 60's psychedelic rock, old hard rock, just about everything from the 60's and 70's. The hardest stuff I play is Black Sabbath. I like vintage tones, and I especially like the clean tones of fender amps I've tried, even cheap ones. I don't need or want something with a bunch of effects or whatnot already on it. I now have a Digitech Rp200a, which has more effects than I could ever use on it. I do plan on eventually getting a Fuzz pedal and Wah pedal. I need something that can handle Humbuckers well, though. I had some cheap fender once that simply couldn't do that with any gain. And it doesn't need to be very loud, but I don't want a POS 10 or 15 watt.

Any suggestions? Is the Fender Frontman 25r pretty good?
I would aim higher and get a valve amp, rather than the Frontman which is more a sidegrade if anything. What about the Fender Blues JR perhaps?
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
$530 bucks for a blues jr. Is sadly way out of my reach. I was thinking about a Vibro Champ XD but sadly it seems like they're discontinued and I'm not seeing many used ones.
The Vypyr amps have the best volume controls I've ever used. I've owned 3 versions (15, 75 & 120H). You know there's two volume controls right? The amp should absolutely not be shaking walls if you don't want it to.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by GuitarNewb77
$530 bucks for a blues jr. Is sadly way out of my reach. I was thinking about a Vibro Champ XD but sadly it seems like they're discontinued and I'm not seeing many used ones.

That is the amp I was about to suggest. I have one, and am sad to hear they are discontinued. Is the SuperChamp XD discontinued as well?

The other small amp I have and could recommend is a Traynor Darkhorse. Switches from 15 to 2 watts. On 2 watts runs thru an AU7 for a power tube. It sounds great at very low volumes.
The Super Champ XD is nice but if you are looking to get away from onboard effects then it might not suit your fancy. You can have a Blues Jr. used for the price of one of those new.
I had a Vox AC4TV head/cab for a while.

It was a pretty sweet little practice amp. You can switch it between 4, 1, and 1/4 watts.. all tube.

1/4 watt tube is a lot louder then I expected it would be. It gets a pretty sweet natural breakup.

The cab was pretty cheap tho; made of particle board. You might want to look at different cab. The stock speaker also sucks ass. I quickly swapped it out for a C-Rex, and this thing had such a beautiful clean tone through this speaker.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by GuitarNewb77
it's actually extremely loud, I mean shaking the walls and ceiling loud,

I think you should get the volume controls fixed. I'm with Offworld92 on this. Sure if you want a new amp get one but don't call the V30 for being too loud.
I have an Orange cr35ldx. It's a nifty little amp. Check it out. They've got a great price on them over at Humbucker Music.
Quote by Offworld92
The Vypyr amps have the best volume controls I've ever used. I've owned 3 versions (15, 75 & 120H). You know there's two volume controls right? The amp should absolutely not be shaking walls if you don't want it to.

Are you sure the 15 has two volume controls? I don't think mine does. But anyways, There are other reasons I want a new amp, too.

I think a Super Champ XD or used Blues Jr. Sounds good, but even around 350 is still a bit out of my reach.
Quote by GuitarNewb77
Are you sure the 15 has two volume controls? I don't think mine does. But anyways, There are other reasons I want a new amp, too.

I think a Super Champ XD or used Blues Jr. Sounds good, but even around 350 is still a bit out of my reach.

If you can't afford the amp you want, then wait!

Don't go out and spend all of your money on something that you're going to regret 6 months down the road.

Trust me, I've made that mistake. I bounced around between a few shitty ss amps (mg, fm, bandit) before I even realised what a tube amp was.

Listen to the folks on this site, we've been there and done it!

I sure wish I knew about UG 10 years ago. I would have saved a butt ton of money over the years
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Also, fill this out for Christ's sake:

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by red.guitar
Also, fill this out for Christ's sake:

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.

I filled some of that out in my profile, just now. I hardly ever come here but I can see the community us great so I'll come here more often.
So, anyways: Budget: it would be really nice to not have to go over $300 bucks but I guess I can go up to around $350. It'll take me a while to save that much up, though. I know that's not alot of money to most people, but I'm in a kind of weird situation. Nothing private, though.
Genres: Think of something between 1966 and 1980. I probably play it.
Anything from CCR to Led Zeppelin, from Cream to AC/DC.
Hendrix, Page, and Clapton are my 3 favorite guitarists.

Ill go new or used but id rather have a higher quality used amp than a new lower quality amp if they're both the same price.
I just play at home right now, but now that I've found some friends interested in the same stuff I might soon have a band started.

I live in the extreme northwest part of North Carolina, close to both Virginia and Tennesee.

Current gear: Nice Korean Les Paul copy (Arbor), Peavey Vypyr 15, Johnson Jg-620n (it's actually not bad at all with good strings)
Check out the Peavey Classic 30. They go used for $300-350.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Check out the Peavey Classic 30. They go used for $300-350.

^This

/Thread
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by cdr_salamander
Answer the questions here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31052894&postcount=2

Just from what you put down, I am going to suggest the Blues Jr. NOS. It's small, 15w, sounds extremely good, and takes pedals extremely well.

Sorry, I just now saw your post. Ok since the link you gave uses the example of a 12 year old that has $200 dollars in the "how to give advice" section, I wasn't going to at first in fear of being banned or something for my age but now I guess I'll just spit it out.
I'm 13. I don't have a job and my birthday isn't till august. So, it would take a looooong time to save up $350 dollars, mowing peoples lawns, cutting down weeds and such. I guess I could convince my parents to maybe pay half of it. I want a new guitar, too. I think I want an Epiphone SG.
Last edited by GuitarNewb77 at May 5, 2013,
Quote by GuitarNewb77
I filled some of that out in my profile, just now. I hardly ever come here but I can see the community us great so I'll come here more often.
So, anyways: Budget: it would be really nice to not have to go over $300 bucks but I guess I can go up to around $350. It'll take me a while to save that much up, though. I know that's not alot of money to most people, but I'm in a kind of weird situation. Nothing private, though.
Genres: Think of something between 1966 and 1980. I probably play it.
Anything from CCR to Led Zeppelin, from Cream to AC/DC.
Hendrix, Page, and Clapton are my 3 favorite guitarists.

Ill go new or used but id rather have a higher quality used amp than a new lower quality amp if they're both the same price.
I just play at home right now, but now that I've found some friends interested in the same stuff I might soon have a band started.

I live in the extreme northwest part of North Carolina, close to both Virginia and Tennesee.

Current gear: Nice Korean Les Paul copy (Arbor), Peavey Vypyr 15, Johnson Jg-620n (it's actually not bad at all with good strings)

Howdy fellow North Carolinian

The Classic 30 would be a good amp, the Peavey Windsor Studio might also be something you could look at.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by GuitarNewb77
Sorry, I just now saw your post. Ok since the link you gave uses the example of a 12 year old that has $200 dollars in the "how to give advice" section, I wasn't going to at first in fear of being banned or something for my age but now I guess I'll just spit it out.
I'm 13. I don't have a job and my birthday isn't till august. So, it would take a looooong time to save up $350 dollars, mowing peoples lawns, cutting down weeds and such. I guess I could convince my parents to maybe pay half of it. I want a new guitar, too. I think I want an Epiphone SG.

I completely understand where you are coming from man, we have all been that age once and know how hard it is to get our hands on some of the nicer stuff. My first amp was a cheapo $70 Crate solid-state mess and I had to mow the grass for a good two months before my dad let me buy it, and that was 14 years ago.

Sometimes it's better to do a bit of saving up. The Blues Jr. and the Classic 30 are both outstanding amps for the money, and I'm afraid anything less at this point is just going to bring disappointment.

Take a look at some pawn shops and local guitar stores to see if they can help you out, or maybe take a loan from your parents where you can get the amp now and pay it back over time. Where there is a will, there is a way.
Where does the Fender Mustang 1 fit into this?
1978 Les Paul Custom Sunburst
2001 USA Strat (Hot & Cool Rails)
Effects: Boss GT-6 with Tech-21 Power Amp
Quote by MissingSomethin
Where does the Fender Mustang 1 fit into this?

Another el cheapo SS. Definitely not what OP wants for vintage toanz.
Hey man, I saw you were considering a Fender Vibro Champ XD (5W version). It just so happens I'm selling one right now (used but in absolutely mint condition). Let me know if you're interested!

It's a pretty awesome little amp! Most of the models sound really good (I never use the high-gain ones, though, and it seems like you won't either) and the volume is perfect for practice (I live in an apartment so I know about trying to get good tone while playing quietly). The effects are kinda cheap sounding, (besides the reverb, which sounds really good) but it seems like you won't be using those either. I'm just getting rid of it because I got a great deal on a Vox AC4, which to me sounds a little better but doesn't have nearly the same versatility (I have pedals for distortion, etc).

By the way, if you don't need reverb and you're okay with a single channel amp that'll naturally break up at pretty low volumes, the Vox would be a great choice too.
Last edited by mattrusso at May 5, 2013,
For just a practice amp I'd go with an Orange Micro Terror and an Orange PPC108 or PPC 112 cab.
Quote by mattrusso
Hey man, I saw you were considering a Fender Vibro Champ XD (5W version). It just so happens I'm selling one right now (used but in absolutely mint condition). Let me know if you're interested!

It's a pretty awesome little amp! Most of the models sound really good (I never use the high-gain ones, though, and it seems like you won't either) and the volume is perfect for practice (I live in an apartment so I know about trying to get good tone while playing quietly). The effects are kinda cheap sounding, (besides the reverb, which sounds really good) but it seems like you won't be using those either. I'm just getting rid of it because I got a great deal on a Vox AC4, which to me sounds a little better but doesn't have nearly the same versatility (I have pedals for distortion, etc).

By the way, if you don't need reverb and you're okay with a single channel amp that'll naturally break up at pretty low volumes, the Vox would be a great choice too.

I'd definitely be interested...if I had money. Thanks for the offer, though.

But for when I do get money...I don't know if I should go fender or vox. I like the Voxey tone, but I've heard they aren't very versatile. I like fender too. Which company in general would be better suited to what I play?
If a 15W Vyper shakes your walls, what you need is a new home.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
If a 15W Vyper shakes your walls, what you need is a new home.

My house isnt tiny or cheap, but parts of it were built during the civil war or shortly after...maybe my walls are just shaky.