hi all,

so I've owned my 6505 a couple of years now. bought it second hand off ebay, previous owner said he replaced the tubes with JJs.
the time has come to replace my tubes. now after look in the back behind the grill plate, I see the power tubes there, plain as day. however, I cannot for the life of me see the preamp tubes! where they SHOULD be, are just drill holes (or screw holes).
is it possible for an amp with preamp tubes to run WITHOUT them in it?? if so, what do I do to rectify this problem?? I have a full set of 5 preamp and 4 power tubes on the way already... this is just so bizarre.

cheers
Hahaaha

Back of amp- remove the Philips screws... Directly right of the output selector impedance.

There are six screws total.

Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Last edited by R45VT at May 4, 2013,
so theres a transformer looking thing to the left and right of both power tubes, I've taken the back plate off.. Im not sure what you mean by directly right of the impedance selecter, what am I supposed to do? lol

sorry about my noobness, haven't modded an amp before..
Quote by Fender_For_Life
so theres a transformer looking thing to the left and right of both power tubes, I've taken the back plate off.. Im not sure what you mean by directly right of the impedance selecter, what am I supposed to do? lol

sorry about my noobness, haven't modded an amp before..

Jesus...

See the output selector switch? For the speaker impedance? Pullt those 6 screws off... The are located INSIDE the amp.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
OH, I found where you mean. the small plate. damn I feel dumb now haha!

thanks for that

just quickly too, I've read that from right to left for the pre amps, it goes V1 GAIN, V2 GAIN, V5 GAIN, V3 LOOP, V4 PI.. however, I emailed peavey, and they say it goes like this, from left to right (this is exactly as she emailed me): #1 rhythm input gain, #2 share by rhythm and lead, #3 & 4 is additional gain and mostly for lead channel, #4 effects loop, #5 phase splitter.

so now Im just confused!
I just checked on the schematic and if you are looking at the back of the amp, V4 is closest to the power tubes. It goes v4, 3, 5, 2, 1, with 1 being on the edge of the amp.

The 6505+ adds another preamp tube, v6, next to v1. So the 6505+ layout from the back is: power tubes --> v4, v3, v5, v2, v1, v6.

This is for the heads btw.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Maybe time to get a pro to look at it?
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Quote by Fender_For_Life
in her email, she didn't list them in order using V, only #... still confused.

Well for now lets just go with the info Guitarbaddie gave you. The schematic for these amps is usually the source you should go by.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by Fender_For_Life
in her email, she didn't list them in order using V, only #... still confused.

What preamp tubes did you get? If you got 5 12ax7's, just put them in and your good to go. You only really need to worry about tube positions (v1, v2, v3... etc.) if you're troubleshooting or want to further sculpt your tone with specific preamp tube selections.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Last edited by Tremolo Bum at May 5, 2013,
i got a tung sol for v1, high gain jj ecc83 for v2, penta labs for v3 and 4, and sovtek for v5. I kinda got them for those specific slots. well ill try the schematic guitarbaddie gave me.. perhaps the lady from peavey got it mixed up.
i believe on mine i could look at the circuit board and see v- whatever it would be. it's not obvious, doesn't even look like it's for us to really notice, but the label should be there. but mines a 6505+. anyway, just remember they are not in order as far as v-1 - v-5 in numerical order. the v-whatever number thing is somewhat irrelevant for the purpose of re tubing the thing. those are just labels. just worry about the order. and you said in the email she sent you that 3 and 4 were gain, but then you said 4 was the effects loop. doesn't add up.

anyway, tremolo bum seemed to answer your question. i'm going to go left to right, but i'm tired and might mess this up... if you are looking from the back of the amp. v-4 is the first tube closest to the power tubes, put in a penta lab. to the right, it's v-3 which you said was the effects loop, put in a penta lab, then v-5 which you said was gain, put in your sovtek, then v-2 which you said was... drum roll... more gain, put in your jj. then, the far right when you are looking at it from the back, will be v-1 which is the input gain tube, put in your tung sol. sounds to me like her email was backwards, as if she meant left when looking at it from the front of the amp, aimlessly jabbing tubes on the circuit board because you can't see anything from the front.

i don't know if i got all that right. i'm just going off the information on this page that you guys have posted, but hopefully you understand how to figure it out. you just need to find what position is what v-#, then find what that v-# does. and then put in the tube you got for that purpose into that position.
Play around with the tubes, you may find one you like more in that spot. v1 and the PI will make the most impact.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Quote by Fender_For_Life
yeah I guess I shouldn't get too hung up over it. cheers lads \m/

At the end of the day it will sound like a beast no mater what you do to it or where you position the knobs. 6505s FTW
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Quote by R45VT
At the end of the day it will sound like a beast no mater what you do to it or where you position the knobs. 6505s FTW

Hell yeah man!!