Hi all
I'm having a slight problem trying to find a good guitar amp. I play in a 3 piece band that does everything from blues to punk, grunge and metal. We mostly do outdoor shows. My main problem is budget. I need something at about £350 max.
I was looking at the fender Frontman but there seems to be a wide variety of opinions as to it's suitability.
Any experience with the frontman or suggestions for better amps would be greatly appreciated so long as they can be sourced in the UK.
Thanks allot
I owned a FM half stack for a while... worst decision of my life. I do not recommend this amp. The distortion is fizzy and brittle, and the cleans are not thre greatest.

I recommed looking at Jet City amps, maybe the JCA22.

They're super cheap, all tube amps, with an amazing dirty tone. Good cleans, but they're not the greatest. This is a really dirty amp

I play in a 3 piece punk/pop/rock band, using a JCA50H. This amp is perfect for my tone. Lots of low end growl to make up for only one guitar. I also play a lot of blues/rock/hardrock on ym own time, and the JCA covers it all.

Like I said, not the best cleans, but I pearsonally love the way that the cleans breakup.

If you're interested, PM me and I can send you some songs that I've recorded with the JCA50H, and the 20H.

Cheers!
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Look for a used:
Marshall JCM DSL401
Laney VC50
Blackstar HT40
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Peavey valveking
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at May 4, 2013,
I'm not sure if it would handle all the requirements of your outdoors gigs but the orange micro terror is my latest cheap gigging amp, but its only a head. So you would need to buy a cheap cabinet also
Once again, you really need to define "metal".
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Anybody doing outdoor gigs that knows what they are doing will mike everything up through the PA anyway. You don't try to do it exclusively off the amps at an outdoor gig, you have to put something through the PA bins. It's not like playing a room.
The JCA50 is a fine suggestion as are the ones Rob said.
An Orange Dual Terror would be cool. Any of the full tube terrors really. Maybe used? I don't know anything about prices there. You gotta try a proper Orange to know. They're a love/hate sorta thing. You gotta plug into one and crank it up yourself.

Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Once again, you really need to define "metal".
Very true.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at May 4, 2013,
The only issue with the JCA50 is that all the jet city stuff is seriously low in supply in europe

Although... You're in luck...

http://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca50h.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_24s.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_sssnake_pps1015.htm
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Last edited by GABarrie at May 5, 2013,
+1 on the jet city suggestion- thomann's selling them really cheap at the moment. you can get the 50 watt head for under £250. if you can stretch that budget even slightly, you can get a decent cab with it, too (the harley benton g212vintage with v30 speakers). If you can't, you should still be able to get a usable plywood cab for around £100 on thomann- though that's a much more expensive way to do it if you do plan on eventually swapping speakers. Granted, I think i prefer eminence v12s to v30s with the jet city, which pretty much means you have to upgrade the speakers anyway, so...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Find a way to get the money for a good amp. You'll never regret it.
1978 Les Paul Custom Sunburst
2001 USA Strat (Hot & Cool Rails)
Effects: Boss GT-6 with Tech-21 Power Amp