Poll Options
View poll results: Should I quit?
Yeah
38 33%
Nah
77 67%
Voters: 115.
Page 1 of 3
It's kind of depressing considering I've played for over 6 years now and invested thousands into gear but I just feel like guitar isn't getting me where I want to go musically anymore. A little over a year ago I started playing piano/keyboard and I just feel like I can do so much more with it and that it is a much more elegant and simple instrument in some aspects.

With guitar, especially if you play metal or music with a lot of distortion in your tone, you have to worry about properly muting or else you sound like crap. The slightest little brush of the strings can create horribly unpleasant noise. Then there is the never ending quest for the right gear/tone.

With piano, you press the key and you get a perfect note every time (assuming you have a decent piano/keyboard that is in tune). I just find it much easier to sound really good and clean on piano than it is on electric guitar.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying one instrument is better than the other, it's just that for me personally I feel my potential for piano playing is greater than that for guitar playing.

Here is a video of me covering "Master of Puppets" by Metallica, so maybe you guys can watch it and think of a reason to convince me not to sell all my guitars and gear and use it on keyboards/pianos. There's also some videos of me playing piano on my channel too but they're not very good.
Guitars:
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Jeff Loomis 7 string
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
Yamaha YDP161 Arius Digital Piano
Last edited by Stringz of Fury at May 4, 2013,
It seems stupid to sell all your guitars n shit when you could just keep them, get some keyboard stuff and then use both in tandem.
You're starting a new instrument and it's satisfying. You've been playing guitar for a while and it's getting more frustrating. Just play both.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by goest
It seems stupid to sell all your guitars n shit when you could just keep them, get some keyboard stuff and then use both in tandem.

This basically. At least keep one of them - you can always sell it later, and it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

But if piano's what makes you happy, you've got no obligation to play guitar.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Yeah! Screw the haters! Who needs some stupid guitar when you can shred on...... the... ....piano...?

I kid. Do whatever then.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Yeah! Screw the haters! Who needs some stupid guitar when you can shred on...... the... ....piano...?

I kid. Do whatever then.

Piano shred:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUVCGsWhwHU
Guitars:
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
Your right hand's stiff as ****, if you find your playing to be sloppy or whatever (which I think you do judging from what you wrote) then just practice more.

And don't sell your gear man, got a Loomis myself and a couple LTDs, pretty neat guitars.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
You already have a piano, so why not just continue to practice it and save up/spend more money on it later. No reason to get rid of the guitar gear.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
Quote by Rawshik
You already have a piano, so why not just continue to practice it and save up/spend more money on it later. No reason to get rid of the guitar gear.

I have an ESP horizon. It's an amazing guitar but I don't feel like I deserve a guitar that costs almost $2000. As for the Loomis, I don't really like playing someone else's guitar anymore, I don't like EMGs anymore, and it has too flat of a neck that I can't seem to fix so I get bad fret buzz and there's no good guitar techs around here.

I'm thinking about keeping my Ibanez RG since it was my first decent guitar and selling the Loomis and Horizon and getting a Schecter Blackjack.
Guitars:
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
If you don't like EMGs there's a chance you simply don't like actives, in which case you won't like the Blackjack either.

You don't need a good tech to get that fixed, an average half-decent one will do. IMO, sell the EMGs and get passives (CL/LF, BKPs, whatever will do).
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by Stringz of Fury
I have an ESP horizon. It's an amazing guitar but I don't feel like I deserve a guitar that costs almost $2000. As for the Loomis, I don't really like playing someone else's guitar anymore, I don't like EMGs anymore, and it has too flat of a neck that I can't seem to fix so I get bad fret buzz and there's no good guitar techs around here.

I'm thinking about keeping my Ibanez RG since it was my first decent guitar and selling the Loomis and Horizon and getting a Schecter Blackjack.

Did you acquire it legally?

If so, then it doesn't matter if you "deserve it" or not. You don't have to earn a right to play a nice guitar.

if you play keyboards it will improve guitar playing.get ride of the 7 string geez and get a dam strat 6 string.make up some songs you'll get a hell lot better.i think you getting tired of guitar cause every dam band is the same .go listen to 60's and 70's music .before all this just tapping and shredding .my 3 year old son loves the beatles he plays the drums .
Quote by INSULIN
if you play keyboards it will improve guitar playing.get ride of the 7 string geez and get a dam strat 6 string.make up some songs you'll get a hell lot better.i think you getting tired of guitar cause every dam band is the same .go listen to 60's and 70's music .before all this just tapping and shredding .my 3 year old son loves the beatles he plays the drums .

Thisis a drun 0on secntence.
Quote by necrosis1193
Did you acquire it legally?

If so, then it doesn't matter if you "deserve it" or not. You don't have to earn a right to play a nice guitar.

Haha I guess I worded that wrong. Yes I acquired it legally but I just don't feel like I NEED a guitar THAT nice. I feel like I could be just as happy with something closer to the $1000 mark. My Loomis would probably be fine if I could just get the stupid neck fixed .
Guitars:
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
brag thread for the fact that:

A) look at me i can play the piano love me

B) look at me i can play the guitar watch my video love me and advertisements so more ppl can love me

C) look at me i have a nice guitar love me

i dont love u
Quote by Stringz of Fury
Haha I guess I worded that wrong. Yes I acquired it legally but I just don't feel like I NEED a guitar THAT nice. I feel like I could be just as happy with something closer to the $1000 mark. My Loomis would probably be fine if I could just get the stupid neck fixed .

Just keep whichever one you like the most. If you like the Loomis, then sell the others, and use the money from that to get it fixed. Trust me, if you sell all of your nice guitars and downgrade just because you don't think you need it, you'll regret it in a little while when you feel like having a guitar track somewhere, and don't have that guitar that felt like butter to play. You don't 'need' any of them, technically speaking. Keep the one(s) you want, not the ones you somehow determine you need.

Quote by Thrashtastic15

B) look at me i can play the guitar watch my video love me and advertisements so more ppl can love me

i dont love u

Lol.
Guitars:
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
Quote by Thrashtastic15

i dont love u

this is great. i <3 u thrash
you're a stone fox
Don't quit instruments. Maybe concentrate more on piano for a while, and once you become more used to that you will become interested in guitar again as you start to miss it. Never quit instruments, just switch focus
Quote by chookiecookie
WHAT SORCERY IS THIS?!

But seriously, I bet she gives great handjobs.

Absolutely. playing the piano is nothing but monotonously pumping the elbow, after all.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
TS, have you ever thought about, you know, not playing metal? Try a genre that real people listen to.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
TS, have you ever thought about, you know, not playing metal? Try a genre that real people listen to.

If I listen to Jazz and Metal does that make me half real?
Almost everyone who listens to metal that claims they listen to Jazz really don't listen to Jazz. Everyone here says they listen to jazz should really take a hard look at their tastes and ask themselves if they really actually like jazz, or are just saying they do to seem like they're more well rounded and appreciative of a genre that's known for being more technically advanced.

EDIT:

It's also important to note that metal fans who actually listen to jazz always listen to really shit jazz.
Last edited by JustRooster at May 4, 2013,
One does not simply give up guitar.
Quote by devourke
I love you bro. I'd totally turn gay for you after that.

November 13th, 2011. Nodincap.

LoL: Kublai Dong

MC: StealthTurtle
Twitter
Last.fm
Quote by JustRooster
Almost everyone who listens to metal that claims they listen to Jazz really don't listen to Jazz. Everyone here says they listen to jazz should really take a hard look at their tastes and ask themselves if they really actually like jazz, or are just saying they do to seem like they're more well rounded and appreciative of a genre that's known for being more technically advanced.

EDIT:

It's also important to note that metal fans who actually listen to jazz always listen to really shit jazz.

I actually went on an adventure today learning about Bebop and the musicians that pioneered it. :3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYd6ftWE_rM

Reading about Bud's life made me sad.
Quote by Stringz of Fury

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying one instrument is better than the other, it's just that for me personally I feel my potential for piano playing is greater than that for guitar playing.

If this is how you feel then go for it.

Realistic though, you're extremely distorting the potential of guitar by putting it in a metal focus. Look at classical guitar, each note that's played is 'perfect' because you're not distorting the shit out of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSQzUx3QW2Y

for example.

And I don't mean to be the asshole here, but while your playing was accurate, it lacked a lot of charisma and 'power' because of the almost mechanical methodology you took to playing. Find something you truly want to pursue and enjoy it. Playing a 7 string loomis imo isn't as rewarding as playing a Cordoba I decided one day that I would swap and I did.

I also have a keyboard I just got and I enjoy playing that as well.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Quote by JustRooster

EDIT:

This post is so ****ing pretentious I can't believe there's not a '' in there.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by lexanirider78

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

I hope my post doesn't turn this thread into a dump of different people posting links to obscure jazz to try to prove they're fans.
I've been thinking the same thing lately, tbh. I don't think I'm gonna sell my guitars and amps though.
Just gonna buy a bass and bass amp. I used to play bass and I miss it terribly.
We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal;
A generation born to witness
The end of the world

Quote by JustRooster
I hope my post doesn't turn this thread into a dump of different people posting links to obscure jazz to try to prove they're fans.

Oh, it will, and maybe we'll get lucky and Ian will be on as well.
Quote by JustRooster

Everyone needs to prove themselves except you.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by lexanirider78

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

Quote by ryan_nadon
Everyone needs to prove themselves except you.

Back off, kid, you're out of your league.
Page 1 of 3