When I changed the strings on my Epiphone G-400 from 10s to 10-52s, the nut eventually cracked and had to be replaced. I wasn't sure if that was because of the added string size (it cracked on the outside by the low E string) . Now I plan on switching to 11s, should I have the nut replaced again?
you shouldn't have to. chances are, it was jut a shoddy nut that wasn't really that good of quality. you don't need to replace your nut every time you change string gauge. just make sure that the strings fit snug (not too tight) within the slots. if they're too small, carefully file them open more.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
And while you're changing strings it's a good idea to rub some pencil graphite in the grooves.
Silverburst
Quote by JustRooster
G-400's aren't renowned for their quality.

True that, I'm not a fan of it, but as a university student I don't have a lot of choices right now

Thanks everyone!
Replace, no. But it should be filed properly to fit your string guage. Shouldn't be snug at all, but allow the string to slide without binding. I won't go into detail here, but google/youtube the topic and you'll figure it out. I'm for DIY but if you're not up to it have a tech properly file the nut slots and height for you. And lubing with graphite or nut sauce, etc. will help with tuning stability.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro