Looking to be creative with some presets on my Fractal Axe FX II. I wanna build some presets based on as authentic as possible virtual rigs. So I was curious if anyone has the knowledge to share. Does anyone know who used Mesa gear in the 80's and what did their rigs consist of? I.e. Amps, pedals (especially for boost) rack gear etc. If nothing else could be a cool discussion.
Two that immediately spring to mind are Metallica and Santana. Santana a Mk1 and Metallica a Mk2C (just the preamp iirc)
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Dream theater comes to mind as well. JP still uses it for leads.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
john sykes did in whitesnake, didn't he?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Good one's. I recall reading in an interview that John Sykes used a "Coliseum 300" Mesa/Boogie on the WS 1987 album. I am not sure but I think that was during the Mark III period.

I have also heard that Stryper used Mesa for a while.
Quote by stm113
Good one's. I recall reading in an interview that John Sykes used a "Coliseum 300" Mesa/Boogie on the WS 1987 album. I am not sure but I think that was during the Mark III period.

It's just a huge Mesa Mark III, IIRC, haha.

Trey Anastasio of Phish was around the early 80's I think, still uses it to this day.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Funny how people talk about the Mark Series amps being probably their best products, yet they didn't seem to really hit their popularity stride til the grunge era and the Dual Rec hit.
Steve Lukather used a Mark IIC+ or III if I'm not mistaken.

Tony Iommi used Mark III's for some time during the 80's. Was never a fan of his tone tho.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiAUgz_uO1U

Oh and here is this:

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=41714
Last edited by schecter ftw at May 5, 2013,
Iommi switched from Laney when their QC bit the dust with the AOR's. As soon as they got their shit together again he went back to them.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Side note about the AORs I was able to play on a stock ones in the mid 90's and it sounded ok, it was better when I use a guitar that was loaded with SD live wires. About 3 years ago a good friend of mine came across an AOR That had the Voodoo amps Platinum mod done to it, Which also included the Jose mod. The tone of that amp is killer! In fact it stops all over That same friends JCM 800 With the exact same mod done to it.
AOR's sound great when they work. Unfortunately they came with below par tube sockets that had a tendency to fail.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
AOR's sound great when they work. Unfortunately they came with below par tube sockets that had a tendency to fail.

I loved mine, but I'm pretty sure I had a socket go out on me, I never bothered to figure it out because I was within my return period. With the bass knob pulled out that thing seriously shook the room.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I bet the Platinum mod resolves that issue.

Hey Schecter thanks for the post w/the vid, it was cool to watch. Anything presented with a British accent like that automatically sounds more proper lol. With all due respect (so no one can get mad now) I think the best part about that was that the starlix people thought enough people would want to play lead like Iommi that they'd make a profit off of that video.

I'm a HUGE Sabbath fan but I never liked Toni's leads. Every once in a while he'd bust out a cool lick but his "off the cuff" recording of leads to me never created really memorable or singing leads with the exception of the melodic lines in songs War Pigs, Iron Man, NIB, etc… I think his strengths were in his riff writting. Iommi has written the absolute BEST metal riffs of all time!
Quote by stm113

Referring to the lousy sockets or the bass? The bass I wouldn't consider an issue, I thought it was pretty cool You could set it normally with it pushed in and play around on it, then you pull it out and it's like you just switched over to a bass rig.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by R45VT
Dream theater comes to mind as well. JP still uses it for leads.

Their late 80s stuff is always fun to listen to. Dominici had a good voice.
Quote by stm113

Hey Schecter thanks for the post w/the vid, it was cool to watch. Anything presented with a British accent like that automatically sounds more proper lol. With all due respect (so no one can get mad now) I think the best part about that was that the starlix people thought enough people would want to play lead like Iommi that they'd make a profit off of that video.

I'm a HUGE Sabbath fan but I never liked Toni's leads. Every once in a while he'd bust out a cool lick but his "off the cuff" recording of leads to me never created really memorable or singing leads with the exception of the melodic lines in songs War Pigs, Iron Man, NIB, etc… I think his strengths were in his riff writting. Iommi has written the absolute BEST metal riffs of all time!

Yeah no problem.

Here is a video with Steve Lukather. He talks about the Mark III around 3 mins in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnFw2HMu3dg
Quote by stm113
It involves replacing the sockets?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I think Brad Gillis used a couple MKIIB's in stereo on Ozzy's Speak of the Devil tour and album. I think he used a chorus for the stereo effect. No clue what else he used aside from that red strat.
"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." -some dude
For some reason I remember reading in the Slash autobio that he and Izzy both used them when they first got signed. I'm not really sure what amp tho.

The story was something about them taking their signing bonuses and buying a mesa stack each. Then the new producer showed up at their next practice where they both had the mesa's blaring to test them out. Apparent he stepped into the room mid song, heard they outrageously loud guitars, and then turned around, and walked out
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H