Page 1 of 2
As the title says, what was your first good amp?

I'll start off by saying I have a Kustom quad 100HD, brought it and a fender FM412 cab off ebay for £145.
In my eyes (probably lacking in tonal knowledge) it's great, especially as it's so simple to use because it only has 2 channels, a lead and rhythm (for me, clean and distortion) with an boost button on the lead channel. It has decent effects too, but I usually leave the effects knob on reverb tbh

It certainly beats my Line 6 spider 30 IV, which was the first amp I got.
Still playing out of a Marshall Valvestate 2000 AVT 50... I need a new amp.... although with a pedaltrain hooked up to it, it sounds decent.
Marshall AVT150 combo I got in 2001, it served me well, still have it but don't use it nowadays.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Carvin MTS3212 (which is now just sitting in the corner collecting dust because I can't afford new tubes for it)

The Roland Mico Cube is pretty awesome for a portable amp.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
6505+
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
A Vox AC4. Very nice tones out of that thing, but I sold it because I didn't really like it at all. Got some pedals with the money and downgraded to a Fender 65R.

I might get a Blues jr. soon. I don't really need a tube amp, though. Almost every venue here has its own backline. I just need something for rehearsals and the 65R is lightweight and perfect for the job.
Fender Jaguar -> Polytune -> Diamond Compressor -> Timmy -> OCD -> Big Muff -> Line 6 M9 -> Sonomatic Cheddar -> Spark boost -> Fender BDRI
My first & only: a 40w Fender HRD 1x12 combo.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I used to play marshall MG amps, and then I bought Marshall Haze 15 which is still my main amp.
Quote by ambler3
It's a hybrid, got a tube preamp in each of the channels but otherwise solid state. Other online opinions of it seem good.

ITT: OP buys mediocre amp, seeks validation.

Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
ITT: OP buys mediocre amp, seeks validation.

I knew it wasn't going to be that great, was partially looking for a variety of tones, which I would say it has, at least much more than my Spider..
I kinda brought it impulsively..the price was one of the main reasons I went for it tbh, and I have no regrets. The cab may be a little low end..but for £145 for both, I can't complain!
My first real amp was a first generation Hot Rod Deluxe. I've still got it 8 years later. When you've got your go-to, you never get rid of it.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I got a VS100. I have come a long way.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
The first (what I would call diecent) amp I bought was an original Line 6 Spider 65 watt 1x12 combo. I can't believe it cost $420 back then. I got it with student loan money and I actually giged it for 2 yrs

I know people hate the spider series, but in 2000 when they were introduced, they were a complete game changer in the amp world.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I consider myself fairly lucky. I started with an Ibanez 10-watt that came with my first guitar (Ibanez Metal Jumpstart ) upgraded to a Crate GTD120 (basically the predecessor to the Flexwave) after 6 months, and then I managed to snag a used '59 Bassman LTD for $700, which I still have to this day
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
I once found a balloon filled with frosting that I ate....anyways I found out later on in life it was a used condom...

[color="Green"][B]while[/B][/COLOR] [color="Blue"]True[/COLOR]:
    [color="Green"][B]for[/B][/COLOR] i [color="Green"][B]in[/B][/COLOR] [[color="Teal"]"/"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"-"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"|"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"[/COLOR][color="Red"]\\[/COLOR][color="Teal"]"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"|"[/COLOR]]:
        [color="Green"][B]print[/B][/COLOR] [color="Teal"]"%s[/COLOR][color="Red"]\r[/COLOR][color="Teal"]"[/COLOR] % i,
Depends on what you consider "decent", what one finds decent another might see as junk. Take me for example, I own a Crate Flexwave 65/112, I find it to be a decent amp, after replacing stock speaker with an Eminence Texas Heat, others will tell me it's a junk/toy/mediocre/craptastic amp, especially because it isn't tube. Now this isn't a tube hate speech I love tube amps, i just dislike the prices, so in my budget and my situation I own a Blackheart Killer Ant, which isn't the best of tube amps but it's an "ok" tube amp that I can play comfortably in my apartment.
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
Quote by ambler3
I knew it wasn't going to be that great, was partially looking for a variety of tones, which I would say it has, at least much more than my Spider..
I kinda brought it impulsively..the price was one of the main reasons I went for it tbh, and I have no regrets. The cab may be a little low end..but for £145 for both, I can't complain!

Don't validate someone giving you shit like that. If you like it, you like it.

I'm still seeking the tone I want. My first decent amp was an AC15, which is great, but doesn't have an effects loop. I've got a Tiny Terror and a JCA22H, and right now I like the Jet City the best, but that's all going to change.

I'm either getting an AC30 next, or a Twin Reverb.
I haven't owned a Fender tube amp yet, but I've tried plenty and this one seemed to suit my needs well enough.
OffsetOffset
my first real amp is a Kustom , I've had since the 80's and it was not new then , a early 70's model , 2 channels like yours with pull-bright , its BIG and heavy with tuck and roll upholstry, still have and its still my favorite ... its too big to keep in the house according to the wife but I bring it in every chance I get , I have a Line 6 spider 15W prcatice amp I seldom use and a Peavy Classic 30 that I keep in the house and use everyday , I do like the Peavey a lot also but the Kustom is my favorite
I had a Randall RH150G3 that I really liked (aside from the ungodly hiss from the gain channel) but the first 'decent' amp I got was a Laney VH100R. Scored it for 800 bucks with the cabinet.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Mine was a Peavey VTM120. Got it dirt cheap from Daddys Junky Music in Dedham, MA summer of 1997. IIRC it was $200. Would still have it if it wasn't stolen a few years ago. Still have and use the Fender 4x12 I bought that day though.
Quote by Fumble fingers
my first real amp is a Kustom , I've had since the 80's and it was not new then , a early 70's model , 2 channels like yours with pull-bright , its BIG and heavy with tuck and roll upholstry, still have and its still my favorite ... its too big to keep in the house according to the wife but I bring it in every chance I get , I have a Line 6 spider 15W prcatice amp I seldom use and a Peavy Classic 30 that I keep in the house and use everyday , I do like the Peavey a lot also but the Kustom is my favorite

If it looks anything like mine, I wouldn't be surprised that it's lasted all this time. I know about the weight..mine weighs a tonne and due to it's dimensions it's really irritating to lug around! Is your Kustom a hybrid/SS amp then?
Christ, I know I'll get shit for this...

But it was my first tube amp and it's the 6505+ 112 combo. Before then, it was always solid state with random zoom pedals or a modeling amp.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 (EMG's)
ESP LTD EC-1000 (SD JH/59's)
Rolland Jazz Chorus (For cleans)
Peavey 6505 + 112 Combo w/ C-V30
ISP Decimator/TS9/ZW Chorus
Marshall Vintage Modern. Well, I had a Tiny Terror before that, but I didn't really like it. But I guess it was okay.
I don't think I've ever had an amp I've been disappointed with. My first amp wasn't 'decent' by any stretch, but I've still got it kicking around; it's still fine for just bashing something out at home.

I suppose my first 'decent' amp by other peoples' standards would be a Marshall DSL100. Before that though I already had my Line 6 HD147, which to me (and lots of goth kids in Europe and Canada) is the end-all king of amps.

ed: I did have a Peavey Windsor head for a while, which I thought was pretty nice, if a bit limited.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by orion82698
Christ, I know I'll get shit for this...

But it was my first tube amp and it's the 6505+ 112 combo. Before then, it was always solid state with random zoom pedals or a modeling amp.

Nah, the 6505+ is held in pretty high regard, dude. Well, amongst those after high gain at least anyway. Of course I'm biased as I own one (the version head though) but still, they're known for being good amps so I doubt you'll be getting any shit haha.
Quote by ambler3
If it looks anything like mine, I wouldn't be surprised that it's lasted all this time. I know about the weight..mine weighs a tonne and due to it's dimensions it's really irritating to lug around! Is your Kustom a hybrid/SS amp then?

I thought it was a tube for 18 years but it's a SS ...... the sound at low volume blows the Peavey away , it looses nothing at low volume and will knock the windows out of the house turned up .... its just too BIG , too heavy to move in , out and around the house
My first proper amp was my Fender Princeton Chorus which I got for stuff all. Solid State goodness... lovely clean channel which loves pedals... The next bigger style amp is my Epiphone So-Cal 50 with initially a home made 412 cabinet and now a Laney 412 cab. When I get some matching speakers I'll re fit the homemade and have a stack... Funny enough, my home made cabinet is heavier and tighter than a store bought one (was cut and assembled with the help of a cabinet maker friend on his professional equipment, it didn't see a jigsaw until the speaker holes were getting cut) which is kinda cool to me.
Fender Super 60.

I still have it. I didn't really bother with amps for a long time.

Ignorance is bliss.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Quote by Fumble fingers
I thought it was a tube for 18 years but it's a SS ...... the sound at low volume blows the Peavey away , it looses nothing at low volume and will knock the windows out of the house turned up .... its just too BIG , too heavy to move in , out and around the house

Oh right, I find low volume isn't that great on mine (may be that I just prefer it turned up fairly high :P )
I've tried it quite loud..but haven't yet found out whether it's that loud :P I can't wait to take it out into the open and really blast it out, will be interesting to hear the volumes it can reach!
Quote by NotTheMessiah30
Nah, the 6505+ is held in pretty high regard, dude. Well, amongst those after high gain at least anyway. Of course I'm biased as I own one (the version head though) but still, they're known for being good amps so I doubt you'll be getting any shit haha.

If anything, he'll get shit due to people's jealousy :P
Quote by David Stein
Fender Twin Reverb. Actually my first amp period.

If that ^^ would have been MY first amp, I think my life would have gone in a whole different direction.

Actually, my first decent amp was probably my first amp as well - though I got it when I was twelve and really don't remember what it was. It was all tube, tweed-covered, '66 or older. I don't know how many watts, what size speaker, manufacturer, etc. It somehow got lost during the many moves I made as a kid. Wish I still had it.

Didn't really have a decent amp until I got my vintage blackface SuperReverb which I still have today.
Page 1 of 2