Page 1 of 2
sysD
1,057 IQ
i'm going to get flamed for the title... that's ok

i'm not really a big metal fan. i like some parts of some songs. oh, and dopethrone by electric wizard. most of the album. its good.

the breakdown in lamb of god's black label (near the end) is ****ing badass, for example.

oh, and master of puppets is alright. but everyone knows that.

NOT a fan of:
-constant screamo with no buildup of tension/release (it can work in breaks)
-vocalists that feel the need to jerk themselves off by drowning out all other instruments
-drums that sound like they were made on a sequencer (eg no velocity dynamics)
-thrash/mindless shred (guitar masturbation)
-insanely fast drums for the sake of insanely fast drums
-classic metal bands (judas priest, etc)

i'd prefer a band with clean vocals most of the time.

any recommendations?
sigless
Last edited by sysD at May 5, 2013,
sysD
1,057 IQ
Quote by moses132049
periphery?

erm. thanks for the rec, but not really into it.

and mastadon isn't bad! the instrumentals are great, kind of reminds me of tool. i wish the singer didn't sound like chris cornell with a head cold, though....
sigless
sysD
1,057 IQ
Quote by NABEF9
Dream Theater, Queensryche, Nevermore, Blind Guardian.

dream theater has amazing instrumentals (super technical). i can appreciate that. i like the vocals too, they're like muse, kind of (one of my favourite bands). however, they've got this Rush-like quality that i just can't get behind. some people love Rush. i do not. XD

queensryche is NOT my thing. it forcibly reminded me of that meme with the sweaty 40 year old slaying cougar bitches with his rainbow keytar.

the singer from nevermore sounds like he's continuously shitting his pants.

blind guardian is the worst thing i have ever heard in my life. i hope they all get aids.

but thanks! XD
sigless
sysD
1,057 IQ
Quote by palm mute
Try Gorguts - Obscura

Yeah, uh, interesting. I really mean that. I know they're supposed to be discordant, and they pull it off. :/
sigless
sysD
1,057 IQ
Quote by strictly-diesel
Sacred Mother Tongue
Tremonti

and when you feel can handle it
Mnemic
Soilwork

the guitarist for sacred mother tongue is pretty good. nice crunch.
the video for a light will shine made me lol repeatedly. i've gotta assume they were being tongue in cheek. if not, its even funnier.

Tremonti's singer reminded me too much of the guy from nickelback for me to enjoy it....

Mnemic is actually decent. their singer's good. i'll have to check out more of their stuff but i tentatively like them.

i can see the appeal of soilwork, but its not for me.

thanks for the recommendations
sigless
sysD
1,057 IQ
Quote by CoreysMonster
What you want are bands like Katatonia or Opeth.

This guy... this is the guy.

GOOD BANDS. thanks man.

i should've mentioned that i was really into chevelle a few years ago. they had a good singer, great crunchy guitar tone, and well written dynamic songs
sigless
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
Quote by sysD
i like the vocals too, they're like muse, kind of (one of my favourite bands). however, they've got this Rush-like quality that i just can't get behind. some people love Rush. i do not. XD

You did just not say that?!

Muse is garbage, and you should be ashamed.

Quote by sysD
i should've mentioned that i was really into chevelle a few years ago. they had a good singer, great crunchy guitar tone, and well written dynamic songs

Sure they do.

They use the same song structure as every other band on the radio.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at May 5, 2013,
barden1069
UG's ONLY Guitarist
1,083 IQ
Deftones? Koi No Yokan is amazing. If you like Mastodon you'll probably like Baroness (especially the albums Red and Blue).
Le Gear
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Ibanez AM93
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange AD30
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H
'72 Fender Vibrosonic Reverb

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
sysD
1,057 IQ
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
You did just not say that?!

Sure they do.

You dislike muse, i dislike 90% of the bands you're into. I guess we're even

Yeah, I guess you're right about Chevelle. Its not like certain song structures are popular because they work well. That would be silly.
Atypical song structures can be good. Care to show me your favourite example?
sigless
sysD
1,057 IQ
Quote by barden1069
Deftones? Koi No Yokan is amazing. If you like Mastodon you'll probably like Baroness (especially the albums Red and Blue).

Broenheim, Deftones' self titled was one of the first metal cds I ever bought. They're one of my fav bands from back in the day. Team Sleep is bomb too.
Koi No Yokan is THE SHIT. I was blown away. And they did the entire thing on an Axe FX 2? Badassery.

I checked out a couple of Baroness songs. They're definitely good. Thanks.
sigless
sysD
1,057 IQ
Quote by MoJo-EaTeR
Necrophagist

No.
sigless
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world
705 IQ
Quote by sysD
blind guardian is the worst thing i have ever heard in my life. i hope they all get aids.

duude omg i kno right? if you want good bands id suggest alterbridge and chiodos and a day to remember theye'rer ogood look u can check them out here
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

PSN: esunax
arabmetallion
569 IQ
if you liked Master of Puppets, you may like Ride The lightning [better guitar work] or ...And Justice for all [better vocals].
As for bands, I'm not sure what you mean by
Quote by sysD
thrash/mindless shred (guitar masturbation)
thrash is a sub-genre of metal, shred refers to a style of soloing which is not exclusive to metal.
you could try Iced Earth...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-S7MF6xhb4
Like others have suggested, Mastodon. Not a huge fan but they fit your criteria more than any other band I can think of
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwgqenxNUfs
My shitty gear:
Vox AD30VT-XL
Danelectro Fab Metal
Zoom 505 II
ESP Ltd MH-50
Last edited by arabmetallion at May 5, 2013,
Emperor's Child
Isn't It?
2,486 IQ
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

New Born, Citizen Erased, Eternally Missed, Forced In, Assassin (GOB Edit), Exogenesis...

Not one of those songs follows the same song structure... or is Garbage for that matter .

OT: If you like Katatonia, Opeth and Muse (as I do), then a few other suggestions:
Ne Obliviscaris
Guilt Machine
Battle Circus (more rock but whatever, oh and free album)
Porcupine Tree (start with Fear of a Blank Planet)
Riverside (start with Second Life Syndrome)
Karnivool (start with Sound Awake)
Haken (start with Visions)
Tesseract
Swallow The Sun (start with The Morning Never Came)

I'm also going to say Cynic, but it might be a bit early for that...

EDIT: I forgot Symphony X. Paradise Lost might be a good place to start.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Last edited by Emperor's Child at May 5, 2013,
barden1069
UG's ONLY Guitarist
1,083 IQ
If you like Tool, a lot of people compare Karnivool to them. YMMV but while I think they're significantly different I still quite enjoy Karnivool.
Le Gear
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Ibanez AM93
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange AD30
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H
'72 Fender Vibrosonic Reverb

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
MoJo-EaTeR
247 IQ
Quote by sysD
No.

Seriously though, maybe check out Hardcore Superstar (don't be fooled by the name, they're not a hardcore band)
megaluisdeth
647 IQ
Check out Cynic or Angra. If you don't like these bands then there is something wrong with you...
Marty Friedman+Jason Becker=Cacophony
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
Quote by Emperor's Child
New Born, Citizen Erased, Eternally Missed, Forced In, Assassin (GOB Edit), Exogenesis...

Not one of those songs follows the same song structure... or is Garbage for that matter .

I wasn't saying Muse had the same song structure every song. That said, new Muse certainly is garbage.

OT: If you like Katatonia, Opeth and Muse (as I do), then a few other suggestions:
Ne Obliviscaris
Guilt Machine
Tesseract

Aside from TessacT and Riverside (but those are more personal things), I'd agree with all of these choices.

Quote by sysD
Yeah, I guess you're right about Chevelle. Its not like certain song structures are popular because they work well. That would be silly.
Atypical song structures can be good. Care to show me your favourite example?

Check out some Post-Metal. Neurosis, Isis, and Cult of Luna are good places to start.
sysD
1,057 IQ
Quote by Kytokinesis
duude omg i kno right? if you want good bands id suggest alterbridge and chiodos and a day to remember theye'rer ogood look u can check them out here

You must be a Rhode's Scholar.
sigless
sysD
1,057 IQ
Quote by arabmetallion
if you liked Master of Puppets, you may like Ride The lightning [better guitar work] or ...And Justice for all [better vocals].
As for bands, I'm not sure what you mean by thrash is a sub-genre of metal, shred refers to a style of soloing which is not exclusive to metal.
you could try Iced Earth...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-S7MF6xhb4
Like others have suggested, Mastodon. Not a huge fan but they fit your criteria more than any other band I can think of
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwgqenxNUfs

Yeah man, there's definitely some good Metallica. I don't agree with the band's politics AT ALL, but they make some good music. Some.

I guess what I mean by thrash and shred is just what (to me) seems like mindless competitions in who can play guitar solos or drum the fastest. Its not a competition, people. A crazy fast riff here and there can be good, but I think its tasteless when the entire song is a race to see who can break the sound barrier on their kick drums or flying v guitar. There's no contrast to the speed demonry when its done that way, ya kno?

I know my criteria are kind of (overly) specific. I haven't had much luck finding metal that I like on my own, hence the thread.

I should also mention that I was really into Incubus (their old, old stuff was kind of metal-y. Kind of..). Deftones, Chevelle, Tool, some APC....
sigless
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
Quote by sysD
You must be a Rhode's Scholar.

He was trolling...

Of course, you're either trolling us, incapable of looking in the stickied Metal rec's thread, or just arrogantly stupid about what is good Metal. Hint: Around here, good Metal is usually based upon the quality of the songwriting and composition.

Quote by sysD
I should also mention that I was really into Incubus (their old, old stuff was kind of metal-y. Kind of..). Deftones, Chevelle, Tool, some APC....

This is exactly what I'm talking about. You list off some Nu Metal or Alt. Hard Rock bands (as if we're supposed to take you seriously) and then are asking for similar bands that are "Metal". What?!
kcmoon5150
UG's Kris
2,726 IQ
Metal snob?
How do you make a signature? Is this a signature? Sig?.... Nature?..... Sigmund Freud?...... Nature Valley?.... Sigmund Fraud?..... Frankie Valli?.... ah, $!*@ it...
way Of the dodo
179 IQ
The ocean collective's last 3 albums, corelia, friend for a foe, returning we hear the larks, skyharbor most the of the aforementioned bands. Really for your specifications just google prog metal.
Last edited by way Of the dodo at May 5, 2013,
sysD
1,057 IQ
Quote by Emperor's Child

Ne Obliviscaris
Guilt Machine
Tesseract

Sweet; hefty list.

Ne Obliviscaris is DOOOPEE. thanks for that one.

Not of a fan of the Guilt Machine vocals at all. The intros were promising on the songs I listened to... then splat.

Battle Circus are some weird mother****ers. But great music. Definately a muse-like vibe there. Definitely getting that album.

Porcupine Tree. Get out of my head. This band is too good. I'm gonna get that album as soon as I can.

Riverside's alright, I guess. Some parts of their songs were interesting... but it didn't work for me as a whole. I'll check em out more later.

Karnivool's good. I'm going to listen to the full album tonight.

The same goes for Haken.

Annnnd same for Tesseract. These are all good bands man. Kind of prog rock-ish?

Swallow the Sun - COMBO BREAKER. Big meh.

Thanks for the list!
sigless
sysD
1,057 IQ
Yeah, you guys are right. I guess what I was really looking for is prog rock/metal.

I guess REAL METAL (by your definition, XD) isn't really my thing. I wasn't really too educated on its sub genres either. You can return to stroking your flying v guitar whilst listening to dragonforce now.
sigless
sysD
1,057 IQ
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
He was trolling...

Of course, you're either trolling us, incapable of looking in the stickied Metal rec's thread, or just arrogantly stupid about what is good Metal. Hint: Around here, good Metal is usually based upon the quality of the songwriting and composition.

I know he was trolling. And I was being sarcastic (why would I click a troll's links?).

Yeah man, I must be arrogantly stupid about good metal. DragonForce is obviously the pinnacle of human achievement. Anyone who has an opinion about music that differs from yours is obviously arrogant. In addition, anyone who ignores sticky metal rec threads must be stupid because its not as though a person might want opinions outside of the ones already posted there.
You are god, and I will silently fellate you while cooking you a steak.
sigless
sysD
1,057 IQ
Quote by MoJo-EaTeR
Seriously though, maybe check out Hardcore Superstar (don't be fooled by the name, they're not a hardcore band)

I'll have to work up the red on my neck before I listen to that band again. XD
sigless
sysD
1,057 IQ
Quote by megaluisdeth
Check out Cynic or Angra. If you don't like these bands then there is something wrong with you...

There is something wrong with me.
sigless