Yup. It's yet another NGD thread from me! . I wasn't expecting to post another one THIS soon, but a friend of mine notified me of an awesome find at a shop he works at. I was in the market for some kind of 2x12 for my Fender Bassman 50 I recently acquired, but decided to lay low until a good used deal on a cab popped up (any kind of 2x12, really). And oh, am I glad I waited! Scored this one for a mere $200. Here she is!

Bam! A likely Blackface-era, but possibly early Silverface Bandmaster/Bassman style 2x12 cab! Although I did not bring my own Bassman head to try through it, it sounded absolutely killer with tons of vintage mojo with other Fender heads at the shop! This thing is far from original, but that's the least of my worries for what I paid. Not sure if the extra handles on top of the cab are original or not, but appear to be an old modification if they were added.

From what I can tell, one speaker is definitely a replacement installed way back in the day, and the other is still a mystery on if it's an original, or some kind of no-name replacement. After some basic research into them, I at least have pretty solid data on the replacement speaker. This is what I found inside of it!

The speaker on the left is a Jensen "Vibranto", model # MI-120, C8512, with a date code of 220704. Based on what I was able to find out on it, it's a 50-watt ceramic magnet speaker, most likely manufactured in January of 1967. Other info I found indicates that these were common warranty replacement speakers for Fender cabs of the Blackface/early Silverface era, most likely due to guitarists cranking up old, high powered amps and blowing the originals out.

The other speaker, as you can see, is an old, no-name speaker of some type, with no wattage or ohm info, or any other definitive way for me to truly figure out what it is. Whether it could possibly be an original speaker, or some other kind of replacement speaker installed after the other one, I'm not sure. But it has a classic, similar tone to the Jensen, and the two work together beautifully.

Since it's a vintage piece of gear that has definitely seen it's fair share of use over the years, it's hard for me to really give a more detailed review on it than I usually do, due to the modifications/repairs it's been through (making it a bit of a more "unique" gear example). But I will say, that what better way to complement a vintage Fender head than a vintage Fender cab? Speakers aside, this thing just sounds suh-weet! It has that exact vintage vibe to it that I was after w/my bassman head. Can't wait to get that thing back from the shop and hear how it sounds through this thing!
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
The one on the right has a bit of a JBL look to it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Awesome find, happy new cab day and rock on!
I won't slave for beggars pay, likewise gold and jewels. But I would slave to learn the way, to sink your ship of fools.
Very classy cab. HNCD!
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
HNCD, but I would never think that was a Blackface cab.

What gave you that Idea? it clearly is a silverface cab.
How does it sound?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
HNCD, but I would never think that was a Blackface cab.

What gave you that Idea? it clearly is a silverface cab.
How does it sound?
I'm not exactly what you would call a Fender expert, but I had the idea that it could be either. Since there's no date code on the cab itself that I can find, all I really have to go off of is the speaker date code on the Jensen, and that if in fact it was a speaker installed under warranty service, there's a chance, but no guarantee that the cab was made around that time. 1967 was a "transitional" year for Fender, where both blackface and silverface products were made, which complicates things too.

Since it's always possible that someone swapped in some older speakers into a later cab sometime ago, and I have no date code for the cab itself that I can find, there's no way for me to truly know, but as far as I can tell, the last time anyone messed with this thing was many years ago.

All in all though, it sounds glorious, and that's all that really matters!
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Quote by FlightofIcarus
I'm not exactly what you would call a Fender expert, but I had the idea that it could be either. Since there's no date code on the cab itself that I can find, all I really have to go off of is the speaker date code on the Jensen, and that if in fact it was a speaker installed under warranty service, there's a chance, but no guarantee that the cab was made around that time. 1967 was a "transitional" year for Fender, where both blackface and silverface products were made, which complicates things too.

Since it's always possible that someone swapped in some older speakers into a later cab sometime ago, and I have no date code for the cab itself that I can find, there's no way for me to truly know, but as far as I can tell, the last time anyone messed with this thing was many years ago.

All in all though, it sounds glorious, and that's all that really matters!

That is a possibility I guess.
The main thing is if you like the sound
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
the other speaker is prob just an old oxford or utah. nothing special.

what is special is the jenson, it's pretty rare to have a jenson in that era of fender amps.

i bet you were glad you waited, there is killer deals on old fender cabs if you have the patience. my buddy got a very similar cab for 100 (speakers were blown). it is super rare to find them with operational stock speakers too, tbe OEM speakers were kinda crap on those cabs and they usually didn't last.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae