Hey guys, I recently joined a hard rock band and am looking to start gearing up in preparation for some of the gigs we hope to land in a couple of months.

I really need to build a half-stack before I go anywhere else, because what I have now isn't cutting it. I'm not sure where to look though, or what might best suit us. The tone we're looking for is a distinctly old school rock'n'roll sound similar to the guitar you'd hear in Guns'n'Roses, if I were to compare it to any big names.

I was thinking of building a Marshall half-stack but I've been playing around with some Oranges at my local shop and really am starting to dig them. What do you think?
You probably don't need a half stack.

I'll just recommend a Peavey 6505+ combo because it seems to be a go to recommendation for hi-gain guitar sounds in these parts.
A 6505 for guns and roses? He never mentioned high gain.

Marshall JCM2000 DSL50 or DSL100.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
A 6505 for guns and roses? He never mentioned high gain.

Marshall JCM2000 DSL50 or DSL100.

x3

What is your budget OP? Also a JVM if your budget can handle it.

Orange makes solid amps. Nothing wrong with them. Just bight be a tad dark for what you are after.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Last edited by R45VT at May 6, 2013,
Yeah. We really need to know a budget and where you live. They're the two missing bits of info.

A Laney VH100R would also be a good choice. If you are in the US you may want to look around for some Splawns too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Right, sorry about that.

My budget is (with a bit of savings) up to around $1,500 - $2,000. If I'm willing to wait a little longer I can get most of what you'd suggest for cheaper, I'm a new employee of Guitar Center and in about a week and a half my discount kicks in. I'm not good with gear like this because until recently, I was mostly an acoustic and classical guitarist and only over the last handful of months have I really been getting into electric and started playing with new gear.

I favor rock'n'roll in the style of the 70's to the early 80's, a lot of fast, hard riffs with blues licks thrown in for flavor.

The set up is going to be for both home and a gigs, whatever I get, I want to spend as much time with it as possible so I can know it back to front.

I live about fifteen minutes outside Dallas Texas.

Right now I'm playing with a Schecter C1-Standard through a VOX AD30VT with a Digitech Whammy and Bad Monkey for pedal effects, I love the VOX but I've had it for several years and have been wanting to get a new rig going for a while, but I could never justify putting a bunch of money down on a cabinet and head before now.

Hope that helps.
A used Marshall AFD100?
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Quote by mthecheese
Right, sorry about that.

My budget is (with a bit of savings) up to around $1,500 - $2,000. If I'm willing to wait a little longer I can get most of what you'd suggest for cheaper, I'm a new employee of Guitar Center and in about a week and a half my discount kicks in. I'm not good with gear like this because until recently, I was mostly an acoustic and classical guitarist and only over the last handful of months have I really been getting into electric and started playing with new gear.

I favor rock'n'roll in the style of the 70's to the early 80's, a lot of fast, hard riffs with blues licks thrown in for flavor.

The set up is going to be for both home and a gigs, whatever I get, I want to spend as much time with it as possible so I can know it back to front.

I live about fifteen minutes outside Dallas Texas.

Right now I'm playing with a Schecter C1-Standard through a VOX AD30VT with a Digitech Whammy and Bad Monkey for pedal effects, I love the VOX but I've had it for several years and have been wanting to get a new rig going for a while, but I could never justify putting a bunch of money down on a cabinet and head before now.

Hope that helps.

Jesus.... you work in a music store... play every piece of equipment you can... no excuse
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by schecter ftw
What is the discount for a Guitar Center employee anyways?

He said half price.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Quote by R_Gallagher_Fan
No he said in a week and a half the discount of (x)% kicks in

Ah, wow. Reading comprehension fail on my part.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I believe employees get stuff at cost (so what it costs GC), which can be an amazing discount (especially on things like cables). It all depends on what the markup is.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Yup. At cost, it's great. I got a Dunlop Crybaby Classic today at 30 bucks cheaper than Guitar Center's listed price.

I spent a lot of time up at the shop today playing around with various Orange and Marshall combos, they both sound great and their prices don't vary too wildly, so it's hard to decide.