Page 1 of 3
Just wait until the terrorists get a hold of a 3D printer.

Then we'll have an excuse.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Sorry, I still can't hear you over the sound of these free Texas shotguns going off, that involved neither years of planning or printing ololol.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
why print a gun when you can just print yourself a bigger dick?
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Texans ruining shit for everyone.

Science: Hey look! 3D printing! Let's make organs and bionic ears n shit!

Texas: But can you kill people with it?
Meh.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
If they can start using some sort of really strong liquid carbon or metal like substance in the printers, this will be a bigger issue. As of now you have to order quite a few parts, and the most rounds anyone's gotten with printed parts is 600, he didn't work for the dudes making it, they've only gotten off like 100 before it breaks.
Last edited by stratkat at May 6, 2013,
Quote by Weaponized
can you print gunpowder???? no??? then stop bitchin you morons

No, but you can print freedom.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Damn so apparently an $8,000 printer is what's going to solve the Middle East crisis

a lot cheaper than a 20 million dollar nuke.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by TunerAddict
why print a gun when you can just print yourself a bigger dick?

lel
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Quote by TheChaz
Texans ruining shit for everyone.

Science: Hey look! 3D printing! Let's make organs and bionic ears n shit!

Texas: But can you kill people with it?

It's not like some criminal organization wasn't going to figure it out anyway.

The US was just the first one.

JK, we're not all criminals, just our government.
Last edited by tukk04 at May 6, 2013,
Quote by macashmack
I'm going to get one of those 3D printers and print so many bitches.

Why would you want a bunch of trebors running around? It'd be like a f***ing mini-croydon in your house.
Last edited by tukk04 at May 6, 2013,

Have an overwhelming urge to shoot Lego men.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
looks like.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
something tells me you could make a better gun for less money with scrap metal
i don't know why i feel so dry
3d printing is like the most fascinating thing ever. Like it is 10 times more interesting than any other issue.

You think the whole copyright and ownership thing is a thing now? Just wait until 20 years in the future when we all have 3d printers and are able to make assault rifles or our own life-saving medication with them, but companies try to own the schematics for them and yeah etc etc etc. It's gonna be huge, guys.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
3d printing is communism
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Haha this guy is ridiculous.

Asked if he felt any sense of responsibility about whose hands the gun might fall into, he told the BBC: "I recognise the tool might be used to harm other people - that's what the tool is - it's a gun.

"But I don't think that's a reason to not do it - or a reason not to put it out there."

"I think that liberty, in the end, is a better interest."

(the last line is in the video but not in the article)

He's basically saying "Yeah I know it's a bad idea, but I'm going to do it simply because I think I should be allowed to."

I don't really get what people are saying in this thread about how it would wear out easily, does that really make any difference? You only really need it once if you have any nefarious plans.

As much as it does worry me, the idea that governments might take this as an opportunity to regulate designs and data being sent around the internet worries me more.

Also this presenter lady is rubbish.
Quote by Eastwinn
something tells me you could make a better gun for less money with scrap metal

Yes, It's nothing more than a glorified zip-gun... It's a single shot gun with an incredibly short and un-rifled barrel. That means it won't be good at more than 10ft.

The FP-45 Liberator in WWII already did this, faster and cheaper:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FP-45_Liberator

$2.40 per gun. It wasn't a particularly good gun, but neither is the 3d printer one..

followed by the "Deer gun" in Viet-Nam:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deer_gun

$3.95 per gun (main difference is the switch to aluminum from stamped steel.)
Last edited by jugglingfreak at May 6, 2013,
Quote by Burgery
3d printing is communism

Eventually the human race will be communist via technology anyway, so w.e.
Last edited by macashmack at May 6, 2013,
Quote by jugglingfreak
Yes, It's noting more than a glorified zip-gun... It's a single shot gun with an incredibly short and un-rifled barrel. That means it won't be good at more than 10ft.

The FP-45 Liberator in WWII already did this, faster and cheaper:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FP-45_Liberator

$2.40 per gun. It wasn't a particularly good gun, but neither is the 3d printer one..

followed by the "Deer gun" in Viet-Nam:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deer_gun

$3.95 per gun (main difference is the switch to aluminum from stamped steel.)

Here's the thing. The cost and quality of the gun won't be an issue in ten years. This was the first one ever made, of course it's not going to be quality. In ten years, 3D printing will be a lot cheaper, and the designs of the weapons will have improved. Then we'll have to deal with a bunch of idiots screaming that it's their right to print out guns in their basement.
Quote by TheChaz
Here's the thing. The cost and quality of the gun won't be an issue in ten years. This was the first one ever made, of course it's not going to be quality. In ten years, 3D printing will be a lot cheaper, and the designs of the weapons will have improved. Then we'll have to deal with a bunch of idiots screaming that it's their right to print out guns in their basement.

i'm skeptical that in ten years the quality of plastics, much less printable plastics, will be high enough to print a real, usable firearm.
i don't know why i feel so dry
This is technology we're talking about, dude. If you don't think there's gonna be crazy growth in an extremely short amount of time, then history says that you're pretty much super duper wrong.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Quote by Eastwinn
i'm skeptical that in ten years the quality of plastics, much less printable plastics, will be high enough to print a real, usable firearm.

They just made a "real usable firearm"
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by tukk04
It's not like some criminal organization wasn't going to figure it out anyway.

The US was just the first one.

JK, we're not all criminals, just our government.

Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I looked up crypto-anarchism, because the 25-year-old head of the company that created this describes himself as a "crypto-anarchist". It really seems to be a ridiculous philosophy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crypto-anarchist

I don't see how it's any more ridiculous than any other philosophy.

They're concerned with their privacy and are anti-authoritarian.

It's a more extreme form of libertarianism with a particular emphasis on the rights of people to communicate freely in a digital form.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Well, half of the time these guys test a lower it ends up breaking right where the buffer spring meets the rest of the lower. I don't see how big of a deal this is.

People have been using CNC machining for years now. This guy is gonna get swallowed up by CNC manufacturers. They're just gonna build smaller, and more affordable (the average ''open mill'' type CNC unit can cost around 150$k) units for people to plop in their basements and garages and mill whatever they want.

Or maybe they won't. Depends on how they view it. They can make smaller and more affordable units quite easily but maybe they feel it would hinder their reputation because it would obvious that people would want to print firearm parts. Or they could easily fannagle some fancy legal stuff and start investing money into spinoff CNC manufacturing companies that are secretly owned by them. Kind of like if Pepsi took some of their money, and then created a company that built AR platform parts but no one would know because the legal paperwork would never trace back to them. Which by itself, is perfectly fine, nor is it illegal, or even immoral to most people.

I don't see why this guy focuses on plastic and lasers and stuff. Like I get the cheap accessibility of it. Buy why not apply the same technology, but use actual drill bits to work on actual metal? And not on plastic that breaks after 600 rounds (which is pretty weak sauce in terms of quality standards) worth of puny 5.56 recoil? I mean, people use and replace drill bits and router bits all the time for all kinds of stuff. They're not expensive. Some of them are but it's not ridiculous. This guy could easily start making a line of steel milling bits that aren't terribly that different from the stuff you buy at home depot, and just apply the same x-y-z axis type of computer design input into it. The only difference would be that there would be more robotics associated to it, and more parts to prevent the failure of the machine. Things like cooling systems, ventilation and such. Sure it's a feat, but not a huge leap for this guy. He's built an extremely high-tech device that ''print'' pretty much anything as long as it's not made of metal. Well why not take it to the next step and make it out of actual metal? Apply the same technology, use actual drill bits and machining bits to carve out shapes from metal and modify it to work?
Quote by Lemoninfluence
I don't see how it's any more ridiculous than any other philosophy.

They're concerned with their privacy and are anti-authoritarian.

It's a more extreme form of libertarianism with a particular emphasis on the rights of people to communicate freely in a digital form.

The problem is they're also anarchists. It may be my personal bias, but I don't believe anarchy could ever work. Anarchy essentially relies on us all behaving and "being nice", thereby removing the need for structured government as we know it. Unfortunately, people aren't always going to be nice.
Page 1 of 3