Hi all, I've read a lot of negative things here about Solid State amps, I've heard people saying that amps are bad just because they aren't Tube. Let me clarify something.
I had my Peavey Valveking repaired yesterday and had a chat with the guy who did the repair. He was telling me about the trouble with Tube amps, that they're often heavier than SS amps and that they're higher maintenance.
I then told him that I'd read online (On here to be specific) that Tube amps sound better.
Apparently, this is not the case.
It's a fallacy that's been built upon a stereotype of SS modelling amps by Marshall (MG), Peavey (Vypr) and Line 6 (Spider). Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
So yeah, point made.
Quote by treborillusion
Low end Epiphone = fire wood.

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
Marshall 1936 JCM900 lead cab
My website
Well thank you for the clarification

Seriously though, some people like SS amps some people like tube amps. To each their own
What the ..... I don't even..............

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
1 - The MG is not a modelling amp.

2 - Reading other people's opinions on why tube amps are better than solid state amps means nothing other than that it is their opinion.

3 - If you think amps like the MG & Spider are as good as or better than a decent tube amp, you have obviously never tried comparing them properly.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.

The irony right here is just too damn high.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by GaryBillington
1 - The MG is not a modelling amp.

2 - Reading other people's opinions on why tube amps are better than solid state amps means nothing other than that it is their opinion.

3 - If you think amps like the MG & Spider are as good as or better than a decent tube amp, you have obviously never tried comparing them properly.

1- Okay, valid point. I miscategorised that.
2- It's not the opinions that I'm talking about. I'm talking about the attitude that a Solid State can't be good which is taken by so many people on here.
3 - No. I don't think that, I'm saying that they are the bad ones that built the negative stereotypes for SS amps.
Quote by treborillusion

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
My website
Quote by Boonnoo666
2- It's not the opinions that I'm talking about. I'm talking about the attitude that a Solid State can't be good which is taken by so many people on here.
3 - No. I don't think that, I'm saying that they are the bad ones that built the negative stereotypes for SS amps.

Wrong.

And wrong.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
Solid state is great for black metal.

Blues rock? Not so much.

/end thread
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
So next time somebody wants a recommendation for a good blues amp that could pull off say, Beano-like tones, which SS amp should we recommend, oh wise one? And keep it to SS amps, not top end modelling units like the AxeFX and Kemper. Straight SS amps. Go.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
well this definitely deserved a thread.

Shitty amps will sound shitty, regardless of whether they are Tube or Solid State.
Good amps will sound good, regardless of whether they are Tube or solid state.
All amps sound shitty with a shitty guitarist.

I thought that this was commonly accepted as fact and definitely not worth a thread.

Quote by TS
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.

Can i please sig this? Because that is just so ****ing RICH
okay **** it, i'll bite.

Quote by Boonnoo666
Hi all, I've read a lot of negative things here about Solid State amps, I've heard people saying that amps are bad just because they aren't Tube. Let me clarify something.

before you do, let me clarify something. there are some great sounding solid state amps out there, such as the roland jazz chorus and ampeg vh140. however, the vast majority of solid state amps out there are practice amps. cheap, poorly-designed practice amps. they're made for first-time players who don't want to shell out for an amp, but want something with a high amount of wattage because **** yeah, i've got a big amp, i'm the ****ing man. the mg100 has a headphone jack for ****'s sake.

Quote by Boonnoo666
I had my Peavey Valveking repaired yesterday and had a chat with the guy who did the repair. He was telling me about the trouble with Tube amps, that they're often heavier than SS amps and that they're higher maintenance.

correct on both counts. OT transformers add a lot of weight to the amp, and tubes do need to be changed. however, just because something is inconvenient in some way doesn't automatically disqualify its usefulness.

Quote by Boonnoo666
I then told him that I'd read online (On here to be specific) that Tube amps sound better. Apparently, this is not the case.

really? one amp repairman's opinion outweighs the opinions of all the amp makers, designers, and modders on a forum? well, more power to him. but take his opinion for what it is - an opinion.

Quote by Boonnoo666
It's a fallacy that's been built upon a stereotype of SS modelling amps by Marshall (MG), Peavey (Vypr) and Line 6 (Spider).

you've already addressed the miscategorisation of the MG, so i'll leave that. the line 6 spider practice amps are truly awful, thin, buzzy, crappy <other synonyms for shit> amps. the vypyrs aren't, though. they often the first recommended practice amps. and the vypyr tube series are great for both gigging and practice.

Quote by Boonnoo666

hold up alanis morissette, i can't hold all these spoons for you.
An old dude at a music shop spouted a bunch of bull shit then ended his rant by talking shit about the internet? You don't say.

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
You are preaching to a choir. Outside of few tube purists there are plenty of SS fans and im not talking about modelers that mimic tubes like vypyr but honest to god ss distortion. A lot of great metal tones have been made with solid state amps and hybrids. Death, cannibal corpse, entombed (if you like it), to some extent pantera (personally i hate it)... Where is the thread again about artists and bands who use SS equipment?

Tubes are not better than SS and vice versa. They do things differently and sound different, its matter of taste.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at May 6, 2013,
I <3 solid state. It sounds ****ing evil.

I love tubes. They can sound either cream-city or necro as ****.

Digital is very, very versatile.

What I don't like, are those ****ing acoustic guitars. Go back to sleep grandpa!
Last time somebody came in here asking how to get Pantera tones it turned into a discussion about which SS Randall was best for him. When somebody wants a Gary Moore tone it becomes a discussion about which tube Marshall.
Seriously dude - wtf are you on about?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
damn it, just wasted all that money on my Peavey stacks when the ToneBlaster was just as good. someone please help me.
:: Peavey JSX | XXX ::
:: LTD V | Viper | AX [EMG85] ::
:: Vader 2x12 | Krankenstein 4x12 ::
:: G50 | DecimatorG-String | 95Q ::
:: Polytune | Ditto | CarbonCopy ::
compared to tube amps, solid state amps feel stiff and unresponsive to play through, and that's a perfectly good reason why so many people don't like using them. It's also a reason why i like them - because the stiffness lends itself to some very tight rhythm guitar tones. Of course i like the rich harmonics and smooth response of a tube amp where it's required, too.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by T7E
well this definitely deserved a thread.

Shitty amps will sound shitty, regardless of whether they are Tube or Solid State.
Good amps will sound good, regardless of whether they are Tube or solid state.
All amps sound shitty with a shitty guitarist.

That's the point I'm making as from what I've seen, people don't see them as potentially equally good.
Quote by treborillusion

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
My website
Dude. This thread. Dude.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
TS has really hammered us guys. What will the world do now that our lies have been uncovered? I guess the countless guitarist all over the world who own tube amps will just have to accept the fact that they were mislead and bamboozled out of their money.

God have mercy on us for perpetuating this charade. I'm going home and torturing myself by playing my tube amps at top volume.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by Boonnoo666
That's the point I'm making as from what I've seen, people don't see them as potentially equally good.

Maybe because they don't like them?

Nah that'd be too ****ing convenient. It must be because we're biased morons.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Boonnoo666

see, that's where your argument falls down. 'good' is subjective. different applications call for different sounds.
Quote by Boonnoo666

There are plenty tube purists and valve asshats who attack anything that looks like a transistor or diode inside their amps with religious zeal, but not on this forum. Or atleast they are not so common from what I have seen so far. Some just like the way SS sounds, others dont. Simple as that. This thread is quite pointless here.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
You crack on and buy a Solid State then, nobody forces you to agree that valve amps sound the best. Most of the valve amp snobs played solid state amps before trying a valve amp, then made the switch.

Only a few years back the majority (almost all) of amps on the market for under £700-800 were solid states, hybrids and modelling amps. But people wanted that valve sound so they paid, now we have a massive range of affordable valve stuff, and since the only real reason most people bought solid state was because they couldn't afford valve, the market took a massive swing and now everyone plays valve amps, the Peavey Valveking is an amp largely responsable for that change, being one of the first affordable quality (high wattage) valve amps, it blew everything else away in the same price bracket and they sold them in the bucket load, because it sounded so much better than all the SS/Hybrid/Modelling shite at the same price.

I personally think my Cornford Hellcat is the single best sounding amp that money can buy, so couldn't care less what some grumpy old man thinks!
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Last edited by Bigbazz at May 6, 2013,
Grumpy old dudes in music shops hate the internet. I go into those shops and reference the internet just to hear them flip out about 'internet know it alls...' It's a lot of fun.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Grumpy old dudes in music shops hate the internet. I go into those shops and reference the internet just to hear them flip out about 'internet know it alls...' It's a lot of fun.

But....it does...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I'm starting to think you all work for JJ Electronics, and just want us to use some ancient technology so we have to buy new tubes every 6 weeks...

>;(
Quote by Boonnoo666
*nonsense*
So yeah, point made.

lol

Seriously? You take one opinion from a grumpy old man, and that makes your point?

And we don't know what we're talking about? Really? We don't know enough to form an opinion based on listening and/or actual experience with both SS and tube amps?

Just to throw you for a loop: I have a high-end tube amp, a hybrid, and a SS modeler, and I like them all. So
PRS SE CU22 | PRS SE CU24 | Takamine EG463SC
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster | Rectifier 212
Pitchblack+ | Bad Monkey | FAB Chorus | NOVA Delay
I run a Line 6 300w solid state and digital modelling head into a 2x12" and a Bad Cat 30w valve 1x12" combo, with an additional attenuator for more/less power, depending on the mix I want to get. Running the Bad Cat at about two thirds or three quarters of the volume of the Line 6 gets me what I want in most rooms. Bad Cat is set for medium gain with no effects, Line 6 switches between totally clean and heavy distortion with a little compression and chorus at all times.

So **** y'all, I win everything. Purists on both sides are missing out.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.