Hey, we tried our best after all. We made beautiful things and tried to constantly make everyone's life easier, but we failed, and that's okay. The next species might do a better job. We left them with all the good things in the world and Texas, they could build on it.

The world's first gun made with 3D printer technology has been successfully fired in the US.

The controversial group which created the firearm, Defense Distributed, plans to make the blueprints available online.

The group has spent a year trying to create the firearm, which was successfully tested on Saturday at a firing range south of Austin, Texas.

The gun was made on a 3D printer that cost $8,000 (£5,140) from the online auction site eBay.

It was assembled from separate printed components made from ABS plastic - only the firing pin was made from metal.

Mr Wilson, who describes himself as a crypto-anarchist, said his plans to make the design available were "about liberty".

He told the BBC: "There is a demand of guns - there just is. There are states all over the world that say you can't own firearms - and that's not true anymore.

"I'm seeing a world where technology says you can pretty much be able to have whatever you want. It's not up to the political players any more."

Asked if he felt any sense of responsibility about whose hands the gun might fall into, he told the BBC: "I recognise the tool might be used to harm other people - that's what the tool is - it's a gun.

"But I don't think that's a reason to not do it - or a reason not to put it out there."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22421185
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Aw man but I love to be the bearer of bad news :/

And I shall defend to the death your right to bear news.
Lend me 8k so I can buy a 3D printer.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Apparently a 3D printer is worth 8 times what I need for my perfect life and 4000 times what I actually have.

So for now let's just say I have no rights.
I particularly love the bit where he states something along the lines of "Sure it could be used to kill people, but that isn't a reason not to do it."

What the hell is wrong with people? Were they always this apathetically arrogant, or am I just not remembering the past well? It seems like more and more people feel as if they're entitled to just do whatever they want, regardless of the repercussions, and then react in a volatile way when someone tries to make them responsible for what they've done.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
I particularly love the bit where he states something along the lines of "Sure it could be used to kill people, but that isn't a reason not to do it."

What the hell is wrong with people? Were they always this apathetically arrogant, or am I just not remembering the past well? It seems like more and more people feel as if they're entitled to just do whatever they want, regardless of the repercussions, and then react in a volatile way when someone tries to make them responsible for what they've done.

I think that's what worries me about the future of the internet. If it were to somehow become actualized, or physical, then the anonymity is really stopping no one from hurting others. When you don't really have to deal with the consequences of something, even if the consequences might physically harm someone, you're likely to do whatever seedy deed you're looking to do.

So I don't know. I'd like to panic and say that we need bills like SOPA and CISPA, but thinking like that is bullshit.
That's so ridiculously more inconvenient than actually getting a real gun. It's also a piece of shit.

How is this threatening
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
That's so ridiculously more inconvenient than actually getting a real gun. It's also a piece of shit.

How is this threatening

It's more his mentality than the actual gun. The technology will improve over time, and you're correct in that right now this poses zero threat, but it's the fact that there are probably hundreds of thousands if not millions who think the same way. Once these printers develop the ability to make more complex weapons, these are the people to worry about.
Aaaaaaaaand this is why I'm never moving to the States.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Chick Corea, Yes, Genesis, Jethro Tull

It is I, the mighty shitkicker, as prophesied by JustRooster. Obey me.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
Aaaaaaaaand this is why I'm never moving to the States.

Because the physics are different in the US in such a way that 3D printers can only exist here.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by eGraham
Because the physics are different in the US in such a way that 3D printers can only exist here.

wow, that's pretty cool
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
It's more his mentality than the actual gun. The technology will improve over time, and you're correct in that right now this poses zero threat, but it's the fact that there are probably hundreds of thousands if not millions who think the same way. Once these printers develop the ability to make more complex weapons, these are the people to worry about.

Why's that? He's going to invest all this time and money, just to print an AR and go shoot kids?

This technology isn't somehow changing the world. Even if he were somehow able to get materials that were as strong as steel, it still wouldn't be provide to be some epidemic of arms manufacturing. As Arby pointed out in the other thread... I can just buy a mill for $8000 and make a much better firearm. But I don't, because its easier to buy one even off the black market.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Quote by Ninja Vampirate
wow, that's pretty cool

I know, right? I don't really understand it, but at least you non-Americans don't have to worry about it.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by eGraham
Really? Wow.

But for srs I'm talking more about the mentality than anything else.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Chick Corea, Yes, Genesis, Jethro Tull

It is I, the mighty shitkicker, as prophesied by JustRooster. Obey me.
Quote by Skynyrd890
Why's that? He's going to invest all this time and money, just to print an AR and go shoot kids?

This technology isn't somehow changing the world. Even if he were somehow able to get materials that were as strong as steel, it still wouldn't be provide to be some epidemic of arms manufacturing. As Arby pointed out in the other thread... I can just buy a mill for $8000 and make a much better firearm. But I don't, because its easier to buy one even off the black market.

No, that's not at all what I meant. I'm talking in a general sense. The technology will advance, and the printers will get cheaper. This is what everyone's working towards. We want things like this because it can do lots of good.

But at the same time, here is someone already acknowledging that it what he's doing with the technology can cause harm, but he doesn't care. This is the mentality I'm talking about. I don't care about manufacturing costs and whether or not you can get a gun for the same price. I'm talking about, if or when in the future, this technology becomes much more advanced and just as expensive as a modern paper printer, it's worrying that people are having such an early hand in something they recognize can be harmful.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
No, that's not at all what I meant. I'm talking in a general sense. The technology will advance, and the printers will get cheaper. This is what everyone's working towards. We want things like this because it can do lots of good.

But at the same time, here is someone already acknowledging that it what he's doing with the technology can cause harm, but he doesn't care. This is the mentality I'm talking about. I don't care about manufacturing costs and whether or not you can get a gun for the same price. I'm talking about, if or when in the future, this technology becomes much more advanced and just as expensive as a modern paper printer, it's worrying that people are having such an early hand in something they recognize can be harmful.

ANYTHING can be harmful, dude. Just because there's a new way to manufacture a weapon doesn't mean it's immediately going to be used in crime or for any illegal activity. People have been able to make killing tools since the dawn of time. This is just another way that is in-fact more complicated than many other options. It's up to a person to do something bad. No amount of technology, or lack of technology, will change that.

Besides, plenty of historical examples have shown that no matter how easy or hard guns are to get, people still do bad things. So complain about the "mentality" all you want, his mentality isn't what is harming anyone.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
"There is a demand of guns - there just is. There are states all over the world that say you can't own firearms - and that's not true anymore.

"I'm seeing a world where technology says you can pretty much be able to have whatever you want. It's not up to the political players any more."

I thought this was a very telling comment.