So I'm looking for a new guitar to add to my measly collection. I've been looking around and so far, I've found a Fender Blacktop Telecaster and a Schecter PT that fit the specs I'm looking for. Other than going with a custom shop guitar, are there any other guitars that are similar to what I'm looking for?

Budget - ~$500 USD
Preferences - Telecaster body shape, maple neck/fretboard with 22+ frets
Pickups - Two humbuckers, passive preferred
New/Used - Both are fine
Location -Los Angeles, CA
Current Gear - Strat copy, Ibanez acoustic, Jet City JCA50H
Last edited by Shelbien at May 7, 2013,
I've always been a fan of the '72 deluxe teles, you should be able to find one under budget pretty easily.
G&L ASAT? The Tribute (Indonesian) line was made to compete with Fender's MIM series, and IMO beats the hell out of it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190835228746

http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-L-Tribute-ASAT-Deluxe-Trans-Black-Carved-Top-Electric-Guitar-includes-Gig-Bag-/221222399606?pt=Guitar&hash=item3381e1ee76
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
^^^ can't go wrong with G&L tribute series ^^^^ , american electronics , hardware and the final set-up is in the USA factory
Ohhh, I had forgotten about the G&L's. The coil splits are a bonus. If it had a maple fretboard, I would jump on that right away. It sure looks clean though. I've also seen some pretty nice ones from Suhr, but those are way out of my budget.
I'd go with a Blacktop, they're quite solid guitars. The Schecter is probably nice too, especially if you can find one used, as Schecters don't tend to hold resale value well.
OffsetOffset
Last edited by SteveHOC at May 7, 2013,
from the teles that i have pulled apart (from what i best remember) had space for a humbucker in the bridge. just would need a new bridge. also i am pretty confident that you could get a humbucker in the neck slot as well. then just buy a pickguard that fits it and you are good to go.

thats what i would do anyway.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by zl1288
I've always been a fan of the '72 deluxe teles, you should be able to find one under budget pretty easily.

The '72 wasn't a bad guitar, but of course there is that issue with the muddy pots. My old '72 sounded like I was playing with a blanket over my amp.. it really sounded lifeless in comparison to my CP jazzmaster unfortunatly. So if you do end up looking into the '72, you might want to make sure you like the way it sounds as it is or look into replacing the pots.
What about a Fender Blacktop Telecaster? Or one of these?

The name is quite a mouthful "Fender Special Edition Custom Telecaster FMT"
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
I feel the need to mention that the fender blacktop tele hh is literally exactly what your looking for boss
I've also seen some Charvel Tele's floating around on the internet, though they have since been discontinued. It seems like most people are in favor of the Fender Blacktop. I'll have to try them all out whenever I get a chance which, I'm hoping, will be sometime in the future.
Quote by Bigbazz
What about a Fender Blacktop Telecaster? Or one of these?

The name is quite a mouthful "Fender Special Edition Custom Telecaster FMT"

i have a fender showmaster which i believe are in the same grouping as the FMT above. solid guitar. may be different but i think they are somwhat related. the only thing bad about mine was that the hardware corroded very quickly. nice guitars though. plays like a dream.

the charvel ones have always intrigued me but i haven't ever played one.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/