http://web.mit.edu/gcollver/www/GCJtch/Two_part_studies/Pdf_files/two_part_open_strings_1_2.pdf

^i'm only trying to learn #1

I was to be able to play this WITHOUT any open strings in the treble. i have a lot of work ahead of me. my problem is i can't move the notes up any "hand positions" on the guitar... if anybody can tell me what i need to work on to be able to do that it's be great. i have bits and pieces down but just not the whole thing seamlessly.

i want to begin with the first note (a - in the treble)on the 4th string 7th fret... and then go on from there
Last edited by tall011 at May 6, 2013,
Sorry if I've completely missed the point of your question... Are you asking why you can't reach particular notes in this exercise?

If so, I think the point is that you stick with one position and use the open strings, (which are readily available regardless of where your hand is), to extend your range. That being the case I think you should perhaps stick with the lesson as it's designed - try finding an exercise that's specific to what you want to learn rather than adapting others that might not actually help.

Again, sorry if I've misunderstood your question, please do correct me and I'll try my best to help out.
it says play the high e on the 12th fret so. i want to know like the scale positions for the keys in the first song. that way i can like kind of understand whats going on better. i realize my terminology and question are struggling but, basically i want to shift the whole treble up so that i don't use any open strings. i know i can use open strings for some of the notes. but i dont want to use them for any of the notes (except for the e and a in the "bass")
OK, all three bass strings are used open: E-6, A-5, & D-4, not just 2.

The rest of the exercise is designed around moveable chord positions, up to the 12th fret. (The 12th fret being the "octave"), and all the strings carry the same name as they do when played open.

To fully grasp this exercise, you should understand moveable and barre chord forms, plus the names and locations of all the notes on the fretboard. The chord shapes on the staff are the giveaway to which position should be played.

It's a bit beyond the scope of a single post, or a single reply to expect a course on the entire fretboard, and all the chord formations in the key of C up to the 12th fret. But practice, stick with it, and good luck with that.

As a clue, the first measure is an A minor ascending arpeggio with a A in the Bass. Now you try.
Last edited by Captaincranky at May 7, 2013,
Quote by Captaincranky

It's a bit beyond the scope of a single post, or a single reply to expect a course on the entire fretboard, and all the chord formations in the key of C up to the 12th fret. But practice, stick with it, and good luck with that.

so where can i go to get that? any good recomendations or links would be appreciated... prefferably links

and i just want it for a minor (and any other "keys" (if thats what its called) that are used in the song). i want to be able to play that one little song in as many different (sensical) positions as possible anywhere on the fretboard.