Alright everyone, I just go myself a pair of T-75s, they sound pretty nice, but as many of you are aware they are a bit scooped in the mids, so I want something to even out the sound a bit.

I'm running a JCM900 SL-X into a 4x12, right now I have a pair of T-75s and a pair of Rocket 50s in it (Rocket 50s were left over from an older cab), I really need something that is going to warm up the tone a bit, and fatten it up as well. The Rocket 50s are mainly in there as a place-holder until I can get something better in.

My main complaints for the sound right now:

• a bit fizzy, want to tame that a bit
  • missing "oomph," I'm attributing this to a lack of low mids
  • tone is a bit harsh for leads, need to mellow it out a bit

With this stuff in mind I am thinking something with a heaping helping of low mids will help me out. I'm considering some Eminence Texas Heats right now, or some Swamp Thangs. I really like the way this sounds through my Sreamin' Eagle, so those are also a possibility. Other than the Eminence stuff, I was thinking a K-100 might also be a good match.

I know that many of you will say that all my complaints are common place with the T-75s, and I might not like them, but I really do like the way they sound, I just need it to be more full.

As far as budget, to Cathbard's dismay I can't afford a pair of EVs, but most normal brands I can afford (Celestion, Eminence, WGS etc.) Obviously the cheaper the better, but I'd rather have a better sound than a better price.

If I forgot anything just tell me, I am rather absent minded today so forgive me.

Thanks!
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I'm running a SwampThang and a V30. Great combination.

I don't know the sound of the T75's so I can't say if they would make magic.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Last edited by R45VT at May 6, 2013,
Quote by R45VT
I'm running a SwampThang and a V30. Great combination.

I have never actually played a Swamp Thang, how's the low end? I always imagined that it would be kind of "woolly" but they are recommended for metal all the time, so I imagine they can't be too overbearing.
I don't find it over bearing at all. It just needs a mid/top end speaker combo to really shine though. I would not recommend one by itself.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by R45VT
I don't find it over bearing at all. It just needs a mid/top end speaker combo to really shine though. I would not recommend one by itself.

Yeah I figured as much. I could be really slick and get a Texas Heat and a Swamp Thang, get the low and high mids covered and run them across from each other with the T-75s
Quote by dementiacaptain
Yeah I figured as much. I could be really slick and get a Texas Heat and a Swamp Thang, get the low and high mids covered and run them across from each other with the T-75s

Wire them for stereo and then run them in pairs to see which one you like better.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Quote by R45VT
Wire them for stereo and then run them in pairs to see which one you like better.

That's an idea, though it means I would have to shell out for both and then resell one of them. They don't do returns at most places for speakers do they?
v30s
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Texas Heats, like you considered.
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
Classic Lead 80's might be worth considering as well.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by dementiacaptain
That's an idea, though it means I would have to shell out for both and then resell one of them. They don't do returns at most places for speakers do they?

Buy the speakers used off of TGP. They go through speakers like crazy. I got my Texas Heat and Swamp Thang (off Craigslist) for $50 each.

Honestly, to pair with the 75's, you might want something with mids. The Swamp Thangs are dark. The Texas Heats are dark, but they have a good amount of top end sizzle. I love the combo in my 2x12.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by JesusCrisp
Classic Lead 80's might be worth considering as well.

i'd have said that didn't have enough mids for what he wants- either the classic lead or g12t75 pairs really well with the v30, but if you want the mids you need the v30 in there.

Quote by LaidBack

Honestly, to pair with the 75's, you might want something with mids.

agreed. except there's no "might" about it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave: I know I know I probably should at least try it, but I'm the type to go all around my ass to get to my thumb. I'm mainly worried about their top end, I am worried it will be too fizzy.

Mike: I used to have a quad of Texas Heats and really liked them, but I'm hesitant because I had them paired with other amps that were less fizzy and had less high end then the Marshall, so I'm a bit hesitant. I might go TGP hunting later, sounds exactly like what I need.

Jesuscrisp: I had a Mesa cab with a black shadow in it, which I have been lead to believe is based off of the lead 80, and it didn't seem quite like what I need, though I may circle back to it.

While I'm thinking about the V30s, does anyone know how extreme the top end roll off on a WGS Vet 30 is? I feel like that could solve my issue, but I haven't heard one in person.

Sorry if it seems like I'm arguing out of everything, I'm just trying to not jump into this right away.
i wouldn't really call a v30 fizzy, at least when it's broken in. its top end is rolled off. i mean the g12t75 is pretty much the fizziest thing i've tried, so almost anything will be an improvement

the TH is even darker, though. it really depends on what you want. it has an american tone... if you're not careful, things can start to clash. I haven't tried the TH with the g12t75... it may well sound awesome, but if you're trying to minimise the amount of speakers you have to buy it would probably be more sensible to buy the tried and tested option which will probably work rather than something which might, but which also might not.

EDIT: i've only tried the celestion v30, can't help with the wgs version.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 6, 2013,
Quote by Dave_Mc
i wouldn't really call a v30 fizzy, at least when it's broken in. its top end is rolled off. i mean the g12t75 is pretty much the fizziest thing i've tried, so almost anything will be an improvement

the TH is even darker, though. it really depends on what you want. it has an american tone... if you're not careful, things can start to clash. I haven't tried the TH with the g12t75... it may well sound awesome, but if you're trying to minimise the amount of speakers you have to buy it would probably be more sensible to buy the tried and tested option which will probably work rather than something which might, but which also might not.

EDIT: i've only tried the celestion v30, can't help with the wgs version.

Good point on the clashing sounds. I just remembered my friend's old man has some V30s laying about, I will give him a call later this week and see if I can't borrow one for testing. I'll pull a T 75 out and throw them both in my 212.
^ that sounds like a good plan

I had this edited into my last post, but now you've posted again it's easier to just put it here:

the other thing is, you need to watch that by sticking with the g12t75s that you're not just keeping them out of spite you could end up buying more speakers that way than by just accepting you maybe don't like them and getting something else

from what you're saying i'd maybe consider a v30 combined with a classic lead (assuming you don't mind a more modern tone). that way you could get the v30s first and try them with the g12t75s- if you like that combo, then problem solved. if not you could try getting two classic leads.

it really is up to you, though, as everyone is different and just because i like something doesn't mean you will.

-----

but yeah if you can get your hands on a v30 to test without spending any money, that'd be the way to go.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
That's my hope. I know that it seems like I am talking down the 75s, but I do like certain elements of them, I like the sizzle they have for making chords really sound crisp, and they have a nice low end crunch that really let's you sink your teeth into some metal riffage. If I can't make them work with something I'll get rid of them, but I think I just need something to make up for all the missing mids
yeah, i know what you mean. FWIW v30s are pretty much the usual speaker which is combined with them for doing that.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you like crisp, cutting sizzle, but need more mids, you'll probably be quite happy with Vintage 30's.

The WGS version (Veteran 30) has a bit less mid "spike", and smoother highs. To me, that spike is what definies a V30, so the Veteran 30 is definitely a different speaker, but good in it's own right.

I used to pair WGS Veteran 30's and ET-65's in an X-pattern in my old Marshall cab. I loved it back when I had my Mesa boogie head. If buying new, that entire combo will probably run you about the same $, maybe slightly less, than a pair of new Vintage 30's. It might be worth experimenting with, as you could try that combo, along with a V30-style speaker and your 75's. Just another option to consider.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Save up for the EV's.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
So you say the Vet 30 is a different speaker, which is fine as I don't expect it to be identical, but how similar are they? Is it something you have to be in the room to here, is it more obvious?

I really am having a good feeling about the Vet 30, though I just tried my Screamin' Eagle with the 75 in my 212 and it did sound really good, so if the V30 doesn't topple it this whole thread may have been for naught and I may go with two Eagles Nonetheless I appreciate you guys helping and will gladly listen to other suggestions or anyone who wants to convince me I'm crazy.

EDIT:

Cath, I just can't justify the cost man. I know they will be good, but I can't possibly believe that they will be so good to warrant the cost for me. I am a poor college student, I am doing good just to have an SL-X and a decent guitar
Last edited by dementiacaptain at May 6, 2013,
the red white and blues combines pretty nicely with the screamin' eagle. While I don't think it's as bright etc. as eminence suggests in its literature (they may be being overcautious ), it's still on the brighter end of things and the red white and blue is a bit darker and balances pretty nicely with it. If you want to go that (american) route, that is.

I'd say an email to each speaker company you're considering would be worth doing before you fork out for any speakers. Just in case you're on the wrong track (I know I normally am ).

I haven't tried it, but from what I've heard (what people say, I mean, not clips), the veteran 30 was supposed to be an "improved" vintage 30, with a lot of the "faults" of the v30 "fixed". I think the retro 30 is more like their clone of a v30.

How close either is, though, I dunno.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm going to suggest the obvious suggestion of Celestion Vintage 30's, the way you describe your cab is fairly close to how I'd describe my T-75 equiped Marshall 1960A, while the V30's in my Cornford sound beautiful, everything you're asking for in a sense.

V30's have a bit of an upper mid honk to them, but that is generally why so many people tend to like them, I like the Emminence Swamp Thang too, but I would not swap out my V30s.

If you compare the V30's to the T-75, the 75 has a scooped sound with a fatter bottom end and a sizzly top end and not all that much in between, where as the V30 is smoother/tighter on the bottom end and smoother/less fizz on the top end, with a very slight honk on the upper mids, warmer sounding in the lower mids. So you cut through well, without sounding harsh and fizzy, enough bottom end without sounding boomy or flabby.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Last edited by Bigbazz at May 7, 2013,
I really like my JCM DSL with Eminence V12's, it is the right balance of low/mid/highs.

But I also like a mix of a GB type speaker with a g12h30 type speaker (like what Splawn does)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Dave: I emailed both companies, we will see if either responds.

Robb: I was thinking about the V12s, anything close to compare them too? Balance is my main goal, part of the reason I liked the Eagles, they have a big spread of frequencies that they cover in the mids and high end, so it mixed well with the 75s.

Bigbazz: I'm going to my buddy's house in a day or two to see how the V30 compares with the Screamin' Eagle, I really liked the Eagle and if I don't like the V30 better I will probably go with them.
sweet, let us know what they say (just out of curiosity )

v12s are kinda like less in-your-face v30s with more low mids and more bass. they almost sound (not exactly, obviously, more in vibe) like broken-in v30s out of the box.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by dementiacaptain
Cath, I just can't justify the cost man. I know they will be good, but I can't possibly believe that they will be so good to warrant the cost for me. I am a poor college student, I am doing good just to have an SL-X and a decent guitar
I know what you mean. I'd love to load my 1960 with EV's but they are too damn expensive so I just put up with the T75's. EV's would be better but I get away with the T75's.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification