I'm in the process of writing the soundtrack for a game called Jellyman. It's a platformer, and will be released both online and on XBox Live. The programmer has suggested that we release the soundtrack as something that can be purchased separately. My question is, would you buy the soundtrack for an arcade game? The game will have somewhere around 10 tracks in total, a couple of examples of which can be found here and here. If we do release the soundtrack separately, I'll probably produce extended versions of the tracks, at least for the shorter ones, if not all.

So my goal isn't here to plug the game or anything, but I would like to know if you believe this would sell. I love the idea, but I'm not sure if I'm confident enough in the material to charge for it on its own. If we were to do this, what would be a reasonable price in your opinion?
Nope.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
No.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
i wouldn't even buy the soundtrack to shovel knight and that will be far more successful than anything you ever do in your entire life will ever do in the world
modes are a social construct
Quote by CoreysMonster
That sure doesn't sound like a boss theme, dude.

It's better than the dentist drill sound from his other tune.

That's not saying much though.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Wasn't intended to be originally, but the boss in this case was not-so-serious, being at a more upbeat point in the game. I think that one actually ended up having it's purpose changed again; it's hard to keep track as more and more levels are being thrown at me to write for.

Quote by theogonia777
It's better than the dentist drill sound from his other tune.

That's not saying much though.
I still love the shit out of that synth. Not sure why, seeing as nobody else likes it, but I just think it's cool.

Quote by Hail
i wouldn't even buy the soundtrack to shovel knight and that will be far more successful than anything you ever do in your entire life will ever do in the world
I really never understood the idea of buying the soundtrack to a game, seeing as you can just play the game to hear it, or rip it from the game files if you really want it, but apparently some people do buy them.
Last edited by herby190 at May 6, 2013,
sorry bro.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Stop being cunts, you guys.

No, I wouldn't, and honestly I can't see many people buying just the soundtrack for it but I mean it when I say this is good stuff. Maybe you could do a free download of the soundtrack with the game?
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
Stop being cunts, you guys.

No, I wouldn't, and honestly I can't see many people buying just the soundtrack for it but I mean it when I say this is good stuff. Maybe you could do a free download of the soundtrack with the game?
No need to tell people off; this is the internet, and people will voice their opinions. I'm not really offended; I came here asking for people's opinions, and that's what I'm getting. The free download would actually be cool with me; no profit, but I'm already getting a share of what the game makes anyways, and it'd be cool to know that people are downloading that.

Quote by macashmack
No, but I'll be sure to download it illegally.
See, this was what I thought. A friend said he was going to buy the soundtrack to Dark Souls because he loved the company, and wanted to contribute to them, but he already bought the game and DLC, and downloads all his music illegally... I don't see why somebody would buy the soundtrack to a game they already paid for. That being said, the programmer suggested it, so I thought I should at least consider the idea.
Last edited by herby190 at May 6, 2013,
i'd release the soundtrack free on bandcamp/youtube/your own personal website (if permitted) so people can access your work and you can network with proper in-context soundclips for potential employers/partners later on
modes are a social construct
this music soudns really happy
ive been transicribing scary movie music for a couple days or so this is a welcome change
im loving dat synth though

personally i wouldnt buy it but a free download with it would be cool
Quote by supersac
this music soudns really happy
ive been transicribing scary movie music for a couple days or so this is a welcome change
im loving dat synth though

personally i wouldnt buy it but a free download with it would be cool
I wish we could trade roles; when I was asked to do the music for a horror game, I accepted that instantly despite the fact that there was no guaranteed income from it, because I was so sick of writing happy music for this game that I just wanted the contrast. Luckily, the later levels are getting more and more intense, so it has worked out.

The general consensus seems to be that a free download would be the better route, and that sounds fine with me; thanks, everyone.
Quote by CoreysMonster
I think the boss theme ended up getting replaced by this, which was kind of intended to be a more serious sounding version of the original track. As I said though, I've kind of lost track, and I'm not sure if my current demo is up-to-date as far as where the tracks are placed.
Quote by herby190
I wish we could trade roles; when I was asked to do the music for a horror game, I accepted that instantly despite the fact that there was no guaranteed income from it, because I was so sick of writing happy music for this game that I just wanted the contrast. Luckily, the later levels are getting more and more intense, so it has worked out.

The general consensus seems to be that a free download would be the better route, and that sounds fine with me; thanks, everyone.

i wish i was writing the music i was just asked to transcribe it which means listening to alot of it over and over and over again

if i could not listen to another tritone for a month id be okay with that

edit:im not sure if i mentioned it but i do quite like these tracks
Quote by supersac
i wish i was writing the music i was just asked to transcribe it which means listening to alot of it over and over and over again

if i could not listen to another tritone for a month id be okay with that
Really? There are other ways to fit a horror game or movie without using tritones and other things that just sound horrible. Then again, I resort to descending chromatic scales a lot for that type of thing, so I'm not really in much of a position to judge. In the case of the game I was working on, I think this worked quite well.

What exactly are you transcribing for?
Wow, the douchiness is out in full form!

As a soundtrack alone, probably not because its not my type of preference when I listen to soundtracks. I like the big orchestral kinda stuff. I would get the game released and then see if people single out the soundtrack as something they would like more from. If that is the case, give it a shot!

Good luck chap
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Quote by herby190
Really? There are other ways to fit a horror game or movie without using tritones and other things that just sound horrible. Then again, I resort to descending chromatic scales a lot for that type of thing, so I'm not really in much of a position to judge. In the case of the game I was working on, I think this worked quite well.

What exactly are you transcribing for?

i know but i didnt pick the tracks and im getting paid also its good practice
hey were you the guy that posted that game on here earlier?
i played throuhg most of it
interesting game

and i didnt ask too many question when i got the job
my freind just called me up a few days ago saying"hey youre good with music and notes right? ill pay you cash to transcribe a few tracks for me"
i think its for an assignent or something hes studying music engineering or producing or something in school
so far he sends me tracks and i have to write it out
the only one i recognize is from the movie ju-on
Last edited by supersac at May 6, 2013,
The soundtracks should be sold only when the games (and also movies, etc) become successful and acquire critical acclaim for the music. And even after that, a good move is to distribute it for free. I've never understood game developers selling OSTs along with games.