Hi all, I know the Peavey Vypyr 30 is highly thought of around here. I have had that and the Sanpera 1 footswitch for quite some time now. I play a Epiphone Les Paul Standard. It is nice, my problem is I'm just not enjoying guitar on it as much as I should be. It is too complex for me, I'd rather just have a single combo amp and physical knobs instead of digital. I don't need 12 amp models. I want to spend my time playing, not dialing in tones. The effects are nice but I just don't use them.

Almost this time last year I bought an Orange Crush 35 because I was having these same feelings but then returned that because although I liked the sound from it, I didn't want to give up the functionality of my footswitch with the Vypyr. Maybe it is just the May air but I am wanting to sell my Vypyr and footswtich and get something else again.

Metal is fine but it's not what I play. Classic rock, hard rock, Britpop, indie, grunge... These are my main enjoyments. I'm leaning towards buying the Orange again but feel like I'd be making a mistake? I don't want to make a mistake but I am just not enjoying the experience of the Vypyr.

I'm just looking for some guidance or perhaps alternate suggestions on nice amps for my kind of music around $300. It will mainly just be for practice in my basement and some recording, and maybe/hopefully some jamming with a band in the near future.

Cheers
Your Vypyr can save the settings you do like on separate channels, so you really shouldn't be messing with the tones that much. It saves the EQ exactly the way you like it, and it will only change if you mess with the channel. With the footswitch, you should have the ablility to have 16 settings saved. If you only want to use 3 of the possible 16, then just do that.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Others will know doubt offer more sage advice than I but here it is for what it's worth. Go tube. I have been very happy with my Vox AC4TV, talk about simple, three knobs and one switch. Tone, volume and OP level. Can be had new for 200-250 USD. I'm still happy with it BTW but I did pick a Fender Blues Junior III today but that would be about double what you want to spend.
Last edited by Washu-chan at May 6, 2013,
Sometimes too many options makes it hard to nail down what you like. I never really got picky about my tone until I had to with a tube head. They're a pain in the ass until, suddenly... right there!

Check out the gear that your favorite artists use and start there. Try out the real life version of your favorite Vypyr model if need be. I'll tell you, my favorite Vypyr model is the JSX (see below), but I've had that for a couple years now and just got my Vypyr yesterday... makes sense I guess.
:: Peavey JSX | XXX ::
:: LTD V | Viper | AX [EMG85] ::
:: Vader 2x12 | Krankenstein 4x12 ::
:: G50 | DecimatorG-String | 95Q ::
:: Polytune | Ditto | CarbonCopy ::
Quote by evmac
Your Vypyr can save the settings you do like on separate channels, so you really shouldn't be messing with the tones that much. It saves the EQ exactly the way you like it, and it will only change if you mess with the channel. With the footswitch, you should have the ablility to have 16 settings saved. If you only want to use 3 of the possible 16, then just do that.

+1

Dial in once and save. Once you find settings you like, you shouldn't ever have to touch it again. Just turn on and play like any other amp.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
You have the wrong hobby if you're already sick of finding sounds you like.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt

Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by Eppicurt

+1 i can't imagine what he would do with AXE/Kemper
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/