Page 1 of 2
I've been at community college for the past six years. It's much worse than it sounds, and it sounds pretty shit. I started out just doing my general ed. courses when I was fourteen while I figured out what I wanted to major in, and after a couple of years of that, I went through the recording arts program at my school. I graduated in spring 2011 with an AA in recording arts. I did an internship at a recording studio in San Francisco for three months in the fall of 2011. While I was in that internship, I realized that I didn't really want to be involved in the music industry as a career.

I decided to go back to school in the spring of 2012 to start the transfer path for a BS in Software Engineering. I was only able to get in to one class that semester, but I met with a counselor and got my next two years of classes planned out. The first semester went great. I had Intro to C++, Calc I, Biology, and Philosophy. I was able to get in to all my classes and got A's easily in every class. This semester it all fell apart.

Registration for classes is prioritized by how many units you've completed, with students that have less units under their belts registering later than than those with more. Here's the catch. It's California state policy that if you have more than 100 units, you get bumped to the very end of the line. I broke 100 units at the end of the Fall semester, so my registration for classes is dead last. I need to take a series of three physics classes to transfer, and every section available at every college in the area was filled within two days of the beginning of registration for the spring semester. My registration date is 11 days after first registration and it will never move up due to the amount of units I've taken. I'm effectively locked out of those classes at the community college level if I stay in California.

I also don't have the option of starting as a freshman at a state school because they will only look at my high school transcripts, and since I was homeschooled, I essentially have no transcripts. I only have the fake ass bullshit transcripts that my mom created which obviously aren't considered valid by the state. Private college would be an option if I could get accepted, but I can't afford it. I'm not an idiot. I have a 3.919 GPA over 107 units of coursework, but I can't use that transcript at all if I want to start at a state school as a freshman.

I've been working a bullshit minimum wage job to pay for my expenses throughout community college while I live with my parents, but now they're planning on moving closer to my dad's work which is about two hours away. I don't make enough money to live on my own at this job. I could look for a new job, but with my experience, I could only make enough to move out working full time. Cue a life being that guy who still works at the grocery store 30 years later.

Tl;dr
I can't continue my transfer path at community college because of a stupid policy, I can't start as a freshman at a state school because I have no high school transcripts, I can't afford private school, and I don't make enough money to move out, but my parents are planning on moving in a couple of months. Wat do.
Quote by me+yourmom=69
give up and start a band

Sorry, I'm not a child anymore.
Join the navy.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Join the navy.

If you're gay.

Join the army.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Can't you contact the home school you were in?

I was home schooled the first part of high school and I was still able to get the transcripts.
STಠ_ಠ
Quote by Jackal58
If you're gay, join the army.

You had some weird formatting there, but I fixed it for you,
Quote by TheChaz
if you have more than 100 units, you get bumped to the very end of the line... My registration date is 11 days after first registration and it will never move up due to the amount of units I've taken.

That's ****ed. Maybe buy a registration spot from someone with priority? Like, have them register for the class, then drop the class day 1 then you immediately take their spot?

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
thank to a counselor and explain the situation
or try to add the class if the classes are ful

i keep having trouble getting a calculus class and since im an engineering major im sort of stuck here
Quote by Andrea55
Can't you contact the home school you were in?

I was home schooled the first part of high school and I was still able to get the transcripts.

Yeah, the homeschool was my living room. I wasn't affiliated with anyone. Seriously.

Quote by jthm_guitarist
That's ****ed. Maybe buy a registration spot from someone with priority? Like, have them register for the class, then drop the class day 1 then you immediately take their spot?

I hadn't considered that. It's too late for this semester though. I've checked every college in the area. Every section of that class is full with the waitlist full. It's required for every single engineering, computer science, math major etc. so the classes fill up immediately.

^I talked to someone in admissions today. It's state policy, and there's no way to go around it she said. I tried to add the class this semester, but the teacher says the school doesn't allow her to take any adds because the lab can only fit 24 students. I'm going to try again.... but that still leaves the problem of getting a decent paying job so I can move out. I guess I could be a stripper.
Last edited by TheChaz at May 6, 2013,
Quote by TheChaz
Yeah, the homeschool was my living room. I wasn't affiliated with anyone. Seriously.

I hadn't considered that. It's too late for this semester though. I've checked every college in the area. Every section of that class is full with the waitlist full. It's required for every single engineering, computer science, math major etc. so the classes fill up immediately.

^I talked to someone in admissions today. It's state policy, and there's no way to go around it she said. I tried to add the class this semester, but the teacher says the school doesn't allow her to take any adds because the lab can only fit 24 students. I'm going to try again.... but that still leaves the problem of getting a decent paying job so I can move out. I guess I could be a stripper.

:\ I don't know what to tell you then. Also how were you able to get your HS diploma?
STಠ_ಠ
Quote by Andrea55
:\ I don't know what to tell you then. Also how were you able to get your HS diploma?

I took the California High School Proficiency Exam when I was 15. It's equivalent to a high school diploma, but it's not equivalent to completing high school coursework.

With a parents consent, a student can stop attending High School after taking the CHSPE, which is what I did.
Last edited by TheChaz at May 6, 2013,
Aww man I don't know what to say then. I just hope you're able to get everything sorted out soon. I'm also a little confused cause when I was in junior year we didn't take proficiencies, we took an exit exam. I'm so out of what I know though so my confusion isn't helping. I just hope you're able to sort things out.
STಠ_ಠ
The moral of this story is homeschooling is ******ed.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Jackal58
If you're gay.

Join the army.
Gay, sir?

Last time I checked, pirates were awesome, not gay, sheesh
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Coltrane

The apple always falls close to the tree, but the tree always falls on the power lines.
Get a job bussing tables or waiting or something that gives you tips. Anybody with half a brain and a smile can work in a restaurant. Tips means daily cash income, usually shorter hours than fulltime, perfect job for a student.

Its only half the problem but yeah...
last.fm[/url}
Dear God, CC for six years. I would've transferred to state after getting an undergrad or something.

I was homeschooled too; went back in for Junior and dropped halfway through Senior. I definitely know what it's like to be ****ed by the system. Sounds like you kind of got screwed and kind of screwed yourself with switching halfway through a music internship. Sometimes you just have to pay up for making choices like that.
Join the Air Force.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by ErikLensherr
The moral of this story is homeschooling is ******ed.

The moral of the story is that the educational system in this country ****s over anyone doing anything but being squeezed through their awful system.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
Gay, sir?

Last time I checked, pirates were awesome, not gay, sheesh

yup, because the navy are the ones stopping the pirates from doing pirate things. therefore, navy=gay.
Yeah it definitely looks like a flaw in the US University system.

The UK system could be similar, but either way all they want is your money where ever in the world.
That sucks.

Just become a regular in the Gay Thread. You'd probably fit in well with them now that your life is ruined.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by TheChaz
(...)Cue a life being that guy who still works at the grocery store 30 years later.

I'm glad you say this. It shows you're very aware of that scenario that many people are in.

So, do something about it. You're having trouble with school and they're not exactly making things simple for you. Well, if I were you, I'd seriously open my imagination and think outside the box. Contrary to what your parents say and what people think, school is not always the answer. I'm not saying it's bad, and I'm not saying it always leads to nothing. But you're saying you've been at college for the past six years. Is your program really what you want? Do you honestly know what you want? Do you have a general idea of what you don't want? These are questions you should ask yourself and for your sake be absolutely honest. Asking yourself the question doesn't imply doubt, it simply causes you to analyze your situation. Maybe there's another program that you're curious to try and maybe you'll love it and do great. Maybe you'll try something else and miserably fail. The end result is never truly worth its weight if there was no effort put into it. What I'm saying is that nothing comes easy in life. Your parents probably told you this so many times that you're numb to it, as am I. But it's true. So just because you're having a shit time, or because you suck at something, or because you feel you're up shit creek without a paddle, doesn't mean you have to flip the **** out and start feeling sorry for yourself. It means you have to sit down, relax and use that gray matter between your ears and make a decision. Analytical thought is one of the greatest gifts we have, so don't let it bind you into knots. Instead use it to think about your situation and think up a rational solution or alternative. Problems do not exist without their respective solution.

More specifically to the point: What if you took a year off? Find yourself an actual job (not the grocery store) that stimulates you more and actually makes you feel like you're actually doing something. Jobs aren't necessarily in surplus, I get that. But take a look, find something that gives you a challenge and isn't a mile over your head and give it a shot. You'd be surprised how many employers don't just look at writing on paper and gold stamps and instead actually find out who the person by making their own interpretation of them. You never know, you get a different job, you make a bit more coin, you come home at night tired but you know you're working hard and doing right by your boss and you'll see how you can be rewarded with honest work.

Or don't take a year off. It's up to you man. You're a completely different person than I am. Just don't do nothing. Don't be the guy who followed the track and went to university and dropped out 2 years in because he wanted something different, but instead of moving forward, he stayed still and smoked weed every ****in' day until 5 years later he realized that 15 hours a week at the grocery store and selling weed on the side just doesn't cut it but unfortunately still winds up stuck in the same vicious loop. This constitutes about 60% of the people I went to high school with. The majority of the remainder have degrees like 98% of the population and still work the same student level jobs even though they graduated 3 years before. All because degrees are getting more and more watered down because everyone has one! I don't know, but around here, post-secondary degrees have become an inflated statement and have let down a lot of good people.

But anyways, whatever you do. Don't do nothing. Don't sit there and feel sorry for yourself. Don't be sad because you feel you have no direction. There's happy people that go their entire lives skipping from one job to another, from one city to another, trying to find something new and different. You seem like a decent, smart person. Don't stay in limbo dwindling your thumbs wondering what if this, what if that. Think about it and make a decision. As long as you're moving forward. It's your life man, fight for it.

Waaaaaallllllllll of text. ****, sorry man. Just came back from a run and felt all happy and enlightened and such.
Last edited by metalblaster at May 6, 2013,
I totally agree with this guy. Figure out your options. Decide what you want to do and put your heart to it. If you have the determination you can do it and i know you are because you're motivated to get out of this situation you're on in. Just go for it dude. Good luck
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
Get your GED and apply to a local university?

Yeah. It'll suck retaking all my classes though. I only need like 6 more classes to transfer, but the ass-backwards registration is screwing me.
Move to a different state. You won't have to deal with the stupid rules and living anywhere else is far cheaper than living in California. For instance the average cost of living in California is 300% the average cost of living in New Mexico. Our college is also cheap as shit.
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Quote by TheChaz
Cue a life being that guy who still works at the grocery store 30 years later.

I work at a grocery store, make ~38K a year, plus bonus, own my own house, have five weeks paid vacation, competitive benefits, and never even got my GED. And I'm 24. Just move somewhere cheaper, and kiss ass and be good at what you do until you make some supervisor position and put in the hours and the overtime until you're made full time. This shit isn't as bad, nor as difficult as everyone makes it out to be. Or not always, I guess.
Quote by Magero
I am a deathcore musician. I am above mere mortal minds.
You can probably transfer to a state school with your associates degree and go in as a junior even though you want to do something else. Not all of you classes will transfer. I would assume you have all of you gen ed classes out of the way so you can go straight into a major and probably get finished in two years. It really depends on what classes you've taken and how the particular school looks at it. Does the 100+ credits apply to you if you're going for a ba or bs also? If so, that is pretty messed up as it takes at least 120 hours to get a four year degree.
Edit: If you want to start as a freshman, you could probably go to school in a different state.
Last edited by zackk at May 6, 2013,
Quote by ambivalent615
I work at a grocery store, make ~38K a year, plus bonus, own my own house, have five weeks paid vacation, competitive benefits, and never even got my GED. And I'm 24. Just move somewhere cheaper, and kiss ass and be good at what you do until you make some supervisor position and put in the hours and the overtime until you're made full time. This shit isn't as bad, nor as difficult as everyone makes it out to be. Or not always, I guess.

When do you play to retire though?

Surely its going to get extremely boring because chances are you're still gonna be working in your sixties these days. Maybe take some of that money and put it towards academic study bro, you're in that kinda position.

TS, **** Idk.
Quote by ambivalent615

OP may have some degree of ambition tho.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
Quote by ErikLensherr
OP may have some degree of ambition tho.

This is precisely my problem. I hate the idea of making an okay wage at a boring job. I want to challenge myself and be rewarded for succeeding at those challenges while making a tangible difference in the world as a result of my work.

I have considered moving to a different state, but it's a huuuge step, and something I can't afford at the moment. It would also probably set me back a couple of years while I get on my feet and save money for school.
They have a limit to transfer students? Colleges take the best and brightest I thought. A 3.9 should be a guarantee almost anywhere.

Talk to the universities' Ombudsman. They make exceptions.
Quote by bradulator
That sucks.

Just become a regular in the Gay Thread. You'd probably fit in well with them now that your life is ruined.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by TSmitty6
They have a limit to transfer students? Colleges take the best and brightest I thought. A 3.9 should be a guarantee almost anywhere.

Talk to the universities' Ombudsman. They make exceptions.

It's not so much that there's a limit on transfer students(although there is), it's that all the good school require that I complete the three course physics series before transfer. I could talk to their admissions office, but I'm trying to get into Cal Poly, and it's not easy to get into even with all transfer work completed.
Page 1 of 2