I am shifting gears from playing in a metalcore band to playing in a bar band and need a versatile amp. I need one amp that can pull off crystalline cleans and thick distortion with lots low end.

What I have now:

Fender 94 twin pro tube: This amp is almost perfect. Perfect cleans but the crunch is not the best and the overdrive channel just doesnt have quite enough low end for me.

Mesa tripple rectum fryer: Love this amp for the orange channel. I record all my leads with this one. Cleans are passable with a little reverb. Might consider trading my head for a 2x12 combo.

Peavey 5150II: I REALLY love this amp. The distortion is so thick and full on this amp that I have a hard time playing anything else despite its mediocre clean channel. One of my biggest pet peves is thin trebley distortion. this amp is the exact opposite.

Any amps that can pull it all off? I hear good things about Egnater amps. Never played one though. The twin is almost good enough. I just wish it had that chest thumping distortion of the 5150 Maybe if I closed up the back it would project more low end.
Why not get a 3 way amp switcher and use them all. Have the best of all worlds.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Please dont talk me into doing that(it wouldnt be hard). I am trying to do the responsible thing and not have 4k worth of amps
Quote by m60lmg
Please dont talk me into doing that(it wouldnt be hard). I am trying to do the responsible thing and not have 4k worth of amps

thats not exactly uncommon.

get a splawn quickrod (EL34 think pissed off marshall)/promod (KT88 think f*** the world) you can easily find one for a grand or so.

really nice controllable as far as how much gain you want. three gears switchable with OD1 and OD2. cleans aren't great, but they are friendly to rolling back if you don't mind a little bit of dirt in your cleans.

http://www.splawnguitars.com/amps08.htm
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by m60lmg

Thats the only way to roll.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by R45VT
Thats the only way to roll.

i am getting insurance for my gear at my new house and everything needs to be appraised. i have a feeling it will be a few dollars past $4k across the board. and they require a monitored security system which my other house is. but its still ~$42 a month just for the monitoring every month (IIRC with a three year contract).

buy a splawn.

R45VT has got some sexy amps
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Axe FX?
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Hmmm....Maybe a Soldano Lucky 13..... Maybe a Marshall JVM....
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Get a Peavey JSX or a Marshall JVM or maybe Axe FX. I have a peavey JSX and it ****ing rocks. The Clean Channel is nice and warm. Overdrive Channel can do classic rock to Thrash Metal. The High Gain channel is pretty much like the 5150 gain. It's thick but not flubby sounding and the solos are buttery smooth. No ear piercing treble with this bad boy. And it has an ok built in noise gate although I prefer my ISP Decimator.
Marty Friedman+Jason Becker=Cacophony
Quote by stonyman65
Hmmm....Maybe a Soldano Lucky 13..... Maybe a Marshall JVM....

+1 i like those. only ever played two, but they were pretty badass.

i like my vht sig:X, pretty solid all arround. three channel. cleans are great and the amp is pretty flexible overall.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
going to be very hard to get all 3 exact tones in 1 amp. very hard. and expensive. do you have a budget?

try some brands like:
Mesa
Bogner
CEC
Custom Audio Electronics
BOLT
Deizel
Fryette?
Soldano
I hear good things about the flagship Blackstar Series 1
Framus?
Hughes and Kettner maybe

Picked these based on top quality, multiple channels (2-3+), reputation for versatility or diverse tones, HIGH GAIN ability, reputation for semi likable clean channels or really good cleans.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Look at a mesa mark series amp, Peavey JSX, Marshall JVM410JS
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I would seriously just buy two amps. Get yourself an old 1980's Peavey Solid State combo & a 5150. Ideal for a bar band as you can have crystal clean incredibly loud without being mic'd up.
Keep the amp you like the most, and get a Kemper Profiling Amp to model the other two.
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Been checking out sound clips, lots of good options suggested. Looks like I have a lot of amps to test out. Until I find that perfect amp I think I might try closing up the back of the twin and throwing the Mesa into the mix with an amp switcher like someone suggested.

Quote by GibsonMan321
Axe FX?

I have never heard any digital modeling amps that could hold a candle to a tube amp at live volumes. Love the concept though. They just sound so thin and off somehow. I always end up thinking, "dam he was a good guitar player, too bad his Line6 POS amp made it sound like he was playing through a $100 Squire."

Checked out the Fractal website and was surprised to see that a lot of artists whose tones I like(Periphery, Neal Schon, Animals As Leaders, Mark Tremonti) use their gear. If this amp by itself could truly deliver all those tones I would buy it in a heartbeat. Still very leery of anything digital though.
ASG Hybris
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Why don't you try your Fender with some OD/distortion pedals? It seems like that's the only thing holding you back from just using that amp. From my experience, that type of amp actually takes distortion pedals really well.
egnater tweaker 40/88, i have the 88 and its great. the kt-88's really help it achieve a huge low end. very versatile and tweak-able as the name would suggest.

I know a lot of people dont like it because its inherintly a dark voice amp, but that's easy to eq out, as bruce egnater says tweak with your ears not your eyes.

A lot of people seem to adjust eq knobs to what they "think" should be right rather than using their ears.

But anyway i got mine new for 500 pounds on a sale, i think they sell for 800 new though. but should be pretty cheap 2nd hand, especially in America.

and will easily produce great cleans and a huge distortion.
For a bar band a Mesa Express + comes to mind. Would say mark v, but having played in bars for many years, I would NEVER take an amp I couldn't replace easily and the express is pushing that limit. Generally I say Blues Jr or other nice clean amp with a pedal board and mic that shit but thats me.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
5150 III
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Roadster

Maybe an Orange Thunderverb?

Fryette/VHT Sig:X
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by tubetime86
ASG Hybris

not sure how I forgot about that one... I played it at NAMM in January and it blew my mind. I would own already except I am getting married next month and just signed back up for school... I have no more gear money(or any money for that matter)... if I can sell my 6505 for a decent amount I will have a fund going to one.

Fantastic cleans and clear, dynamic high gain.

ASG sells them for $1000. It has a shared EQ, which is NOT a draw back. Serial effects loop, presence, resonance.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
ENGL Steve Morse.

Best amp ever.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by schecter ftw
How much are you willing to spend TS?

This

Quote by trashedlostfdup
buy a splawn.

That

Quote by Offworld92
5150 III
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Roadster

Maybe an Orange Thunderverb?

Fryette/VHT Sig:X

Those

Quote by bluestratplayer
For a bar band a Mesa Express + comes to mind.

and....not so much

seriously, what is your budget and are you looking to replace what you have and get down to one maybe two amps?
the tweaker 88 can get heavier than the 40 i believe.

i would not recommend you the 40. i have it and love it, but it just isnt as good for heavier styles that the rectifier can handle.

on snap. buy a kemper. that would be awesome and probably very cost effective (compared to 50% of options i listed with list prices in the 3000-4000 range).

only thing is - your going to be a little more tech savy.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)