Hey, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Freeway Classic model by Godin. I've been looking for something that can cover sounds by bands like Jefferson Airplane, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, etc,. and was wondering how the Freeway would perform
in that field.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Quote by Kensai
Don't dig up the past, TS. You're not gonna like what you find.
ive not played it but seeing as its an HSH guitar
it probably can get tones similar to those bands with the right pick up combination

th eamp woudl probaaly matter with acheiving those tones
The Godin guitars are all high quality products. You can't really go wrong with it.
I think the Freewy Classic would fit for that kind of music.

The only point you should know is that the humbuckers are not splittable.
So the pickup combinations with the 5-way switch are:

Neck Humbucker
Neck Humbucker and Singlecoil
Singlecoil
Bridge Humbucker and Singlecoil
Bridge Humbucker
+1 on Godin quality. I've handled mostly used ones, and they've been solid pieces of workmanship. Bonus: they sounded great.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Godin guitars and basses are criminally underrated instruments. The quality and workmanship is right up there with the big names, and they cost a hell of a lot less. I have yet to meet someone who bought a Godin and was disappointed. I think the Freeway Classic will serve you well.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I love the freeway classic. My brother in law has one. However, I think it's a bit more aimed at heavier music. If you were planning on changing the pickups anyways, go right ahead. Godin build quality is really really nice. If you were planning on leaving it stock, give it a good long try on the clean channels to make sure it's good for you.

Since we're on the topic,

here is a 20 minute tour of the electric guitar factory
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ker5s2tAKU

same thing but acoustics
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXGV31hOYhs

They have a bunch of these videos online. Robert Godin is such a friendly and approachable person. I live in montréal (about an hour away from his factory) and it seems that every luthier I meet has had a private tour of the factory, or attended a free guitarmaking worskhop with Robert Godin.
I live in montréal (about an hour away from his factory) and it seems that every luthier I meet has had a private tour of the factory, or attended a free guitarmaking worskhop with Robert Godin.

Classy!

Yes, the Freeway's pickups are voiced a bit towards the hotter side, but they should clean up pretty well. And if not, there is always the swap-out option.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 7, 2013,
I hear only good things about Godin's quality, but they look mostly ugly to me. I just don't know if I can live with extremely good quality in a body I think is hideous. I guess that makes me the world's shallowest guitarist, but I can live with that.
Quote by samuraigoomba
I hear only good things about Godin's quality, but they look mostly ugly to me. I just don't know if I can live with extremely good quality in a body I think is hideous. I guess that makes me the world's shallowest guitarist, but I can live with that.

I can relate to this. However the freeway classic is pretty much just a superstrat so it's pretty basic.

My wife had such a long dilemna considering a purchase of a godin acousticaster (a 1000$ guitar when you buy it new) for 350$ because of its awful color!

We got it and it rocks but god it's ugly!

Quote by flexiblemile
It rocks but god it's ugly!

Well; you can always have it refinished. Remember: You can make an ugly-colored guitar that plays well beautiful, but you can't make a beautiful-colored guitar that plays poorly into one that plays good. Beauty is only skin-deep, and that's why the good Lord invented sandpaper.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Their Strat-type guitars are pretty standard looking, and their "jazzboxes" are very nice, but their LP-style guitars ARE a bit odd.

Wouldn't stop me, though.

from what I hear, Godins are pretty solid
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by flexiblemile
it rocks but god it's ugly!

Seems a bit harsh, man. I think she looks rather nice .
Quote by FatalGear41
Well; you can always have it refinished. Remember: You can make an ugly-colored guitar that plays well beautiful, but you can't make a beautiful-colored guitar that plays poorly into one that plays good. Beauty is only skin-deep, and that's why the good Lord invented sandpaper.

That's a fact. We already talked to a luthier we know about this but it's expensive, time consuming and we need a PA, haha.

If I know my wife though, she'll go from hating it to absolutely loving it in about a week and a half Honestly I think she'll just buy a scarf and some nail polish in that color for when we do shows and I won't hear about it again

EDIT: and for what it's worth, this was recorded with a freeway classic. Shameless plug perhaps but relevant nonetheless
https://soundcloud.com/broadcap/alice-et-mathieu-breathless

I had a chance to play with that guitar quite a bit and it's really easy on the hands and ears
Last edited by flexiblemile at May 7, 2013,