I live in Alaska and only have a gig bag for my new solid body Taylor. Do I need a hard case and humidifiers? My house always seems pretty stable, humidity wise... Thanks.
what makes you think the humidity in your house is stable? do you have a tested hygrometer in the room where you'll be keeping your guitar?
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by Isakale
I live in Alaska and only have a gig bag for my new solid body Taylor. Do I need a hard case and humidifiers? My house always seems pretty stable, humidity wise... Thanks.
Arguably, the humidity in your house may be "stable", but it's just as true, if you're running your central house heater without a humidifier attached, it's probably too low.

As Patti says, you need to check the average humidity before you make assumptions.

To answer your question directly, if you only have a gig bag, you would do best to humidify the room, (if necessary).

With a hard shell case, you could likely get away with a small sound hole humidifier only.

There's a lot to be said for a humidifier incorporated into a central heating system anyway. Humid air feels warmer than dry air at the same temps. Humid air is better for your lungs.

Granted, some older heating systems may not have OEM add on humidifiers available.
where in Alaska? is the big question. if i lived along the rainforest panhandle, humidity would mean something different to me than if i lived just off Government hill.
in either case too much or too little natural humidity would be the issue. as well as the cold of winter if you were a fairbanks(or god forbid further north) resident. Arctic Warfare training took a huge toll on my weapons while i was there and those are designed to be used in cold weather but -50 deg. is another story unto itself.
i live in a place where humidity is generally moderate, but periodically there will be high spikes or large drops.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Buy a hygrometer and then you'll know if you need a humidifier or course of action. I put my guitar in its case(with a humidifier) only when it gets colder here (less than 4 degrees C) as the relative humidity drops to the lower 30's - high 20's even when its raining. I live on the west coast of BC and it rains a lot, and when it gets colder the relative humidity still drops even if its been pissing outside for days.
Awesome, thanks guys, know any any good type of hydrometer or brand to buy?

Would it work to first use the hydrometer to just leave it in my bedroom to get a reading of how the %'s are, or does the hydrometer need to be in a closed case to work?
Mine is a Bios digital, I just have it out around where my guitar stand is. It can also give you the highest reading and the lowest reading in a period of time. It was around 30 dollars.
I have another question. Can you just buy a humidifier that you can set to a certain %?
whats the brand? What should I look up to find one of these? they should much more useful than casing my guitar every time i am done using it.
its a Crane. i also use 2 dehumidifers in the summer. it can get sticky here in NY in the summer. where in AK by the way Isa?
Just outside of Anchorage, Alaska.
Do you know what the model of Crane humidifier it is? The ones I am seeing on amazon do not look like you can set it to a certain %.

Thanks so much for your help!!!
i'll check when i get back home. it'll be a few days. like Eagle River outside? went to H.S. at West.
Yep, Eagle River!
Thanks again for the help!

I really want to try to keep my guitar is good condition (humidity wise) without having to put it in it's case after playing it every time. :]

You have had good success with the room humidifier?