I want a strat, because I play a lot of country, and strats have the sound I want, but I don't want to spend a lot of money, because I'm far from rich. Is there an inexpensive strat copy or maybe a used strat that is under $300? I don't want the pickups buzzing, like I heard Squires do, and I don't want a tremolo. Strat tremolos are not what I need for country. My tuning stability would be shot...
Squires are surprisingly decent guitars IMO. Got a Squire Tele and it's very good. Nowt beats a real one, of course,
"Pickups buzzing" is what all strats do, or all single coil pickups do, nothing wrong with Squier Strats, I personally think they are the best at their price point. The only way to avoid "buzzing pickups" is to get stacked single coil pickups, but they still don't sound exactly the same as standard single coil pickups, if you get a Humbucker equiped strat the effect will be greatly reduced but then you will not have the sound you wanted.

If you run a noise gate that should fix all your problems, assuming you have a problem in the first place. Make sure you understand though, £4000 Custom shop Fenders do the same thing.

As for not wanting a tremolo, then why do you want a Strat? I have 3 strats and only on one of them do I use the tremolo, and all of them have excellent tuning stability. Perhaps what you need is a Telecaster, still going to be stuck with the buzzing pickups issue though.

Single Coils will be single coils, nothing a noise gate can't fix entirely, and if you aren't using any large ammount of gain it's unlikely to be an issue anyway.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Last edited by Bigbazz at May 7, 2013,
Quote by rotoball95
I want a strat, because I play a lot of country, and strats have the sound I want, but I don't want to spend a lot of money, because I'm far from rich. Is there an inexpensive strat copy or maybe a used strat that is under $300? I don't want the pickups buzzing, like I heard Squires do, and I don't want a tremolo. Strat tremolos are not what I need for country. My tuning stability would be shot...

I would also say you're looking for the Tele "twang", but if you want a Strat, you want a Strat. Single coils hum, that's the nature of them, as pointed out. Noise gates are fine, but it's another pedal in the chain. Go try out a Squier CV or VM Strat and see for yourself, especially considering, again, that single coils in general make that sound. You can also block the trem, so if you find a MIM (which you should be able to find in your price range), don't sweat the trem.

Location? Amp? Current guitars?
OffsetOffset
I just got a Peavey Predator a couple days ago. Relatively unknown/unpopular, but for a Strat under $300, There aren't many options I know of that could really be considered better.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
if yamaha pacificas are under 300 in your area or if you can get them used, be sure to give them a try. I've got one and love it
Quote by Offworld92
I just got a Peavey Predator a couple days ago. Relatively unknown/unpopular, but for a Strat under $300, There aren't many options I know of that could really be considered better.

Peaveys are supposed to be pretty good, Steve Cropper uses one
Quote by rotoball95
I don't want the pickups buzzing, like I heard Squires do, and I don't want a tremolo. Strat tremolos are not what I need for country. My tuning stability would be shot...

A couple of preconceptions here.

I have a 2006 Squier Affinity Series Strat that is really good. All these years, and it never let me down. Actually, i just finished customizing it (you can check the build thread here), and i can tell you that:

1. Not all Squier pickups "buzz". Single coils pick up more static than a humbucker, that's true, but they don't "buzz". And Squier has humbucker-loaded guitars as well.
Just try a few guitars in the store until you find one that you really like. Even between identical guitars, some can be more susceptible to noise than others.
Hell, i like my stock pickups so much that i didn't even change them.

2. My Squier Strat still has the stock tuners and stock tremolo bridge.
I don't use the tremolo arm because i don't need it, but i didn't even blocked the bridge, and the tuning is extremely stable. I can tune it, play it, then leave it for a few days, and when i pick it up again, 90% of the time it will still be in tune.

Also, Strats can be used for country as well as any other genre. If you like its sound, go for it.

Go to a store, try a bunch of Strat-style guitars, and keep your mind open to Squier models as well. They are usually great guitars, as long as you don't end up with a lemon.
Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified models are excellent, Standard and Affinity series tend to be pretty solid guitars (especially for modding). I'd really just avoid completely the Bullet models.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Used Squire for $75. Done.
1978 Les Paul Custom Sunburst
2001 USA Strat (Hot & Cool Rails)
Effects: Boss GT-6 with Tech-21 Power Amp
Why are Affinity better than Squire Bullets?
1978 Les Paul Custom Sunburst
2001 USA Strat (Hot & Cool Rails)
Effects: Boss GT-6 with Tech-21 Power Amp
For $300 you can find very nice MIM (Made In Mexico) Fender Strats. Fine guitars.

But before you do that, check out G&L. Really nice guitars and with the history of the company (Leo Fender & George Fullerton established it after leaving Fender), it's arguable that you're actually getting the Strat you're after.
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
From the description you gave, OP, the best Stratocaster out there for you is a Telecaster.

Also, Strat trems are absolutely fine for country if you set them up right. I've been playing country with a Strat or years. So have people like Brad Paisley, Greg Koch, Vince Gill, and plenty others.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by richardlpalmer
For $300 you can find very nice MIM (Made In Mexico) Fender Strats. Fine guitars.

But before you do that, check out G&L. Really nice guitars and with the history of the company (Leo Fender & George Fullerton established it after leaving Fender), it's arguable that you're actually getting the Strat you're after.

+1 i don't think you can beat a MIM for under $300.

i paid $175 for a MIM strat a while ago that i sold. i have had a ton of them throughout time, sold them all and kept my '95 white on white with a maple fretboard.

but $300 can get you something nice. also they are so common to find and easy to sell, you would never lose money on it unless you beat the shit out of it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
IMO I like the Lotus strat copy, picked one up for $40, poured some money on a new pickguard, Fender Tex-Mex pickups and a new volume pot and boom, got a nice decent cheap off brand guitar with good sound.
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
Quote by MissingSomethin
Used Squire for $75. Done.

You bought one for $75? Which model series?

Quote by MissingSomethin

Squier Affinity models are better than Bullet models overall. The build quality, the woods used, the hardware... I never tried a Bullet Strat that i liked, and it's worth noting that they sound pretty mediocre at best, IMHO.

Also, the neck on Bullet models never felt right to me, they feel and look really cheap, while the necks from Affinity models upwards are pretty much identical to Fender necks.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
You bought one for $75? Which model series?

Squier Affinity models are better than Bullet models overall. The build quality, the woods used, the hardware... I never tried a Bullet Strat that i liked, and it's worth noting that they sound pretty mediocre at best, IMHO.

Also, the neck on Bullet models never felt right to me, they feel and look really cheap, while the necks from Affinity models upwards are pretty much identical to Fender necks.

Nope. Affinity necks are further from Fender necks than Bullet necks. The Affinity has a very narrow nut-width, about 40mm. The Bullet is much closer to a Fender Strat, with a 42mm nut width.

Also, Bullets can sound quite good, and there are plenty of videos on Youtube that prove that beyond a doubt.

The reason you've never tried a Bullet you liked is almost surely because you have never played one that was properly set up. I've bought three Bullets in the past 5 years. Out of the box, they did not play well at all, and the intonation was completely off. After a good set-up, they play damn well. The difference between before and after the set-up was like night and day.

Listen to the Bullet in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJksXc5O7h0
Or this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJWZaaaolAA
or this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U7pEgLQdYI

Rich Menga is another Bullet fan. He's got plenty of videos praising the Bullet and showing off its capabilities. I think this video speaks for itself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AjYnhZHSyY
Last edited by peskypesky at May 9, 2013,
Quote by peskypesky
Nope. Affinity necks are further from Fender necks than Bullet necks. The Affinity has a very narrow nut-width, about 40mm. The Bullet is much closer to a Fender Strat, with a 42mm nut width.

I was talking about quality feeling. Bullet necks always felt to me like the dreadful necks on Epiphone Specials, while most of other Squier's necks feel top-notch.

Quote by peskypesky
The reason you've never tried a Bullet you liked is almost surely because you have never played one that was properly set up. I've bought three Bullets in the past 5 years. Out of the box, they did not play well at all, and the intonation was completely off. After a good set-up, they play damn well. The difference between before and after the set-up was like night and day.

I've tried plenty of Bullets, a few of them i set them up myself. It's nothing to do with the intonation being off, action too high or too low, or any other set up problem -- it's about the overall quality of the guitar. And so far, every Bullet that passed through my hands (and there was a lot of 'em) was, generally speaking, inferior to other Squier models.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
I know it's a strat I want, and not a tele, because strats have the positions I like. And I don't want humbuckers, because that would get rid of the single coil sound. So basically, what I'm seeing is, it's either a mexican strat, or a higher squier. Which one? I may just have to try them for myself...
If you can get a MIM Strat, get one. Then you'll have a real Fender Strat. It'll serve you well and if you ever want to sell it, you'll be able to get a good amount out of it.

I mean, there's nothing wrong with getting a Squire, but don't pay a lot for them. You can find them on craigslist all day long for $40 - $70. And you could upgrade it very nicely within your original budget.

Just sounds like you have enough of a budget to get a Fender. Why not just get what you wanted to begin with?
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Quote by MissingSomethin

I don't really know why but just playing the two, the affinity feels like it has a better paint job, better neck, more solid construction.

Some bullets have a fixed tremolo as well... something to watch out for.

If you find a MIM strat for $300-$350 you'd be much happier than with a squier.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer

If you find a MIM strat for $300-$350 you'd be much happier than with a squier.

There are TONS of used MIM Strats on the GC site starting at $200.
http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/index.cfm?page=10&srch&q=fender%20stratocaster&natSearch=1&distance=100&sort=price&dir=asc

The American Standards start around $549.
Last edited by peskypesky at May 10, 2013,
Quote by peskypesky

I had no idea prices have become so low for those things. Just 2-3 years ago $300 was pretty much the lowest you'd see a MIM strat go for in most cases.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
I had no idea prices have become so low for those things. Just 2-3 years ago $300 was pretty much the lowest you'd see a MIM strat go for in most cases.

Tell me about it!
What's funny is that you'll see a fair number of Squiers at higher prices than many of the MIMs.
I've never seen a Squier going for more than a Fender...
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Quote by richardlpalmer
I've never seen a Squier going for more than a Fender...

times have changed.
Isn't there cables and pedals that filter out the buzz? I've seen people plug there strats into a box connected to the amp that cuts out thebuzz.
Those Bullets don't sound amazing to me. The amp is pretty good though so I'm thinking it makes up for it plus the guy can play. The overall sound is lacking in my opinion, when compared to other Strats, like the CV, MIM or MIA.

TS: Spend a little bit of time looking at the MIM Fenders. Get a good one and it could be a keeper.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil at May 11, 2013,
Quote by peskypesky
times have changed.

Really? But how? I guess I'm just having trouble with why Fender would allow a licensed product to exceed their own brand in terms of pricing. I'm just so use to seeing Squires go for so inexpensively -- I'll have to look again. But I've never seen a full MSRP one go for anywhere near what a Fender does...

Here's a good listing from Sweetwater's site: http://www.sweetwater.com/c590--Solidbody_Guitars/low2high/all/params=eyJkaW1lbnNpb24iOnsiQnJhbmQiOlsiNDI5NDk2NzIzNSIsIjQyOTQ5NjcyMDYiXX19

I guess they've gotten as expensive as Fenders, but just -- none are more expensive...
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Last edited by richardlpalmer at May 12, 2013,
Quote by richardlpalmer
Really? But how? I guess I'm just having trouble with why Fender would allow a licensed product to exceed their own brand in terms of pricing. I'm just so use to seeing Squires go for so inexpensively -- I'll have to look again. But I've never seen a full MSRP one go for anywhere near what a Fender does...

Here's a good listing from Sweetwater's site: http://www.sweetwater.com/c590--Solidbody_Guitars/low2high/all/params=eyJkaW1lbnNpb24iOnsiQnJhbmQiOlsiNDI5NDk2NzIzNSIsIjQyOTQ5NjcyMDYiXX19

I guess they've gotten as expensive as Fenders, but just -- none are more expensive...

I guess you'd have to ask GC how they're setting their prices, because if you search their used listings, you will see some Squiers selling for more than some of the MIM Strats. And not just "vintage" Squiers.
Quote by Espace39
Isn't there cables and pedals that filter out the buzz? I've seen people plug there strats into a box connected to the amp that cuts out thebuzz.

They're called noise suppression pedals. Also, this is syntactically and grammatically an insane sentence.
OffsetOffset
Last edited by SteveHOC at May 12, 2013,