I made a few threads before looking for guitars with certain specs and i was going to buy a Kramer SM-1 but i just got a surprise, my brother has an ibanez rg1570 in good condition from when he used to play a long time ago and he'll just give it to me.

I was firm about active pickups. I love the EMG 81 especially, every guitar i played that was equipped with one had a great sound but I don't feel like going through the trouble of routing a space for the battery and everything. Passive Pickups are pretty much unfamiliar territory for me.

Basically, I want a pickup that can give me the most brutal tone possible without being active. what i want is a huge, beefy, percussive sound for modern metal rhythms a la the black dahlia murder (think Nocturnal) and such. my amp is a 5150 head and mesa 2x12 cab.

ones i was thinking of:
Seymour duncan SH-5 custom
Seymour duncan SH-6 Distortion

i was also considering bareknuckles since i have the money i was going to spend on a new guitar, but there's so many and i don't know which one will fit my needs the most.

thanks.
Last edited by atpeace6 at May 7, 2013,
You can usually fit the battery in the control cavity if you are really set on EMG's. Just pop the cover off and take a look.
Quote by J_W
You can usually fit the battery in the control cavity if you are really set on EMG's. Just pop the cover off and take a look.

+a lot
I fit EMGs in my BC Rich Warbeast AND 18v modded them without routing anything, and using all of the quick connect components. Without a doubt, you should be able to fit them in an Ibanez RG, granted it doesn't have a pick guard. I recently switched my Duncan Blackouts to my Ibanez RGR420EX, and still have space in the control cavity.

If you do still want to do the passive route though, DiMarzio Dactivators are voiced to sound like actives. I don't use the guitar that does have one of these in it, so I can't put in much for it.

In my experience, the Duncan Distortions don't do well cleaning up, so consider if you will need cleans or not.
Ibanez
Universe UV777 Signed by Steve Vai
Prestige RG2027X with Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
RG7621 swirled
Prestige RG1420
AEL207E
Bareknuckle Painkiller/Nailbomb I would recommend you take a look at.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
I used the SH-5 for a long time, and I play pretty much exactly what you want to play. I wouldn't recommend it. I got an Invader, and it's amazing. My only reservation here is that I'm playing a JSX - it has a lot of room to be pushed to brutal territory. Since you're already running a 5150, an Invader might overdo it for you. And similarly, a Custom may actually be enough. In my experience, the palm mutes on the Custom were just way too flabby and gross.

It's hard to go wrong with an SH-6 though. Everything I've heard out of them I've liked.

I wouldn't recommend BKP, UNLESS it's really no sweat off your back dropping money on them. In my experience, SD/EMG/DM will get you 90% of the way there for less than half the cost.

Lastly, don't be afraid to go for an 81 - that is what they use. A 9V will fit in the control cavity of almost any guitar. Alternatively look at the DiMarzio Tone Zone, as one of their guitarists uses that.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Certainly possible to put EMGs in that guitar without the need to rout out extra space for batteries; however you will have to play tetris to get all the components to fit nicely in to the control cavity, but it is certainly possible, I have seen this model with a H/S/H EMG configuration, no routs.
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
With the 1570, especially if it's direct mount like mine. You'll have to wiggle around everything and it'll be a tight fit without modding. I'd recommend dimarzio dactivators. Never tried the dactivatorXs however I had a pair of the non-x ones in my iceman and they were pretty close to emgs. Also emgs will sound like crap with the single coil, so you'll probably want to re-wire the switch as well.
If active is the sound you like then don't get a scatterwound pickup (like Bare Knuckle). They're opposites, almost regardless of wind. Not to mention my usual spiel about how Bare Knuckle are more expensive than any other boutique company and actually offer less.

You absolutely can fit a battery for active pickups in an RG1570. Hell, a quick Google image search for "Ibanez RG1570 EMG" brings up loads of pictures of 1570s people have put EMGs in. If you don't use the vibrato, you can fit the battery in the spring cavity. If you do use the vibrato then you can still fit the battery in the control space, it's just going to be a very slightly tighter fit.
With EMG's new solderless system, it is even easier; just make sure you also buy a 5-way solderless switch from EMG and you save a ton of space. Without their solderless 5-way you will have to have a few more wires and a battery buss in the guitar, but it can be made to work. Also, simply wiring it up the old way, by soldering everything with your own 25k pots and stereo jack, will save enough space to fit the battery.

Otherwise, the Duncan Distortion, DiMarzio Super Distortion or DM Breed are what I'd go for. The Distortion basically does the same thing an EMG 81 is intended for; plain high-power with a fairly even EQ. It's the safest bet for you.
The Super Distortion has a touch more output again and more bass—pick this if you prefer to keep the preamp gain a little lower—while the Breed has a bit more output and a slightly thicker tone; the Breed is what you should go for if you like to run your amp with the mids 'scooped'.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Have a look at bare knuckles, but also i think you should look up keith merrow(diobolic5150) and ola englund's(fearedse) seymour duncan pickup comparison videos, they show them being used for lead and rhythm guitar and its pretty helpful!
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
If you know and love the tone of the EMG 81, that'd be your safest bet, despite going through a bit more trouble to install it in your situation.

Duncan Distortion or DiMarzio Super Distortion would be my recommendation if you wanna stay passive. I too, tend to like the EMG 81 sound for metal, but these two pickups tend to be my "go-to" options if I want passives. I have a Super D in a Jackson DK2M, and it has plenty of bite, a tight low end, and a good deal of output and midrange to drive the amp hard. Just a nice, balanced high gain sound overall.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Last edited by FlightofIcarus at May 7, 2013,
i have grown away from the 81 which is all i have at the moment. the best combination i found found staying with EMG's is an 85/60. however i have a gibson SG with dual 81's and it kills, but its kind of a different wiring deal with what i did.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Try a BKP Black Hawk. Raging Kitty gave them a review that likens them a lot to actives in the sense that they have an eq range like the 81 and are super tight. Apparently they lack character compared to the other pickups though

I never liked the Aftermath. The bass sounds too round and gives it a loose quality. It sounds great for chugging but I never really liked it for tight riffs.
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

What year was the rg1570 made? My 2008 has very shallow pickup cavities, so I wasn't able to install the taller, higher output Dimarzio pickups (cunch lab & liquifire wouldn't fit). I think 25mm or so was the max height that I could use, well without either routing the cavities or massively shimming the neck :P I pretty much have to go with medium output Dimarzios or pony up for some BKPs.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by Offworld92
I used the SH-5 for a long time, and I play pretty much exactly what you want to play. I wouldn't recommend it. I got an Invader, and it's amazing. My only reservation here is that I'm playing a JSX - it has a lot of room to be pushed to brutal territory. Since you're already running a 5150, an Invader might overdo it for you. And similarly, a Custom may actually be enough. In my experience, the palm mutes on the Custom were just way too flabby and gross.

It's hard to go wrong with an SH-6 though. Everything I've heard out of them I've liked.

I wouldn't recommend BKP, UNLESS it's really no sweat off your back dropping money on them. In my experience, SD/EMG/DM will get you 90% of the way there for less than half the cost.

Lastly, don't be afraid to go for an 81 - that is what they use. A 9V will fit in the control cavity of almost any guitar. Alternatively look at the DiMarzio Tone Zone, as one of their guitarists uses that.

the reason i was thinking about the sh-5 is because I heard that's what John used. And i loved the Nocturnal tone. But maybe what i was hearing was mainly Brian's EMG 81 but i'll look into the invader as well as the distortion
i forgot to mention the guitar will be in C tuning, so the pickup needs to retain tightness in a detuned guitar
I play metal too and have a Duncan Custom in one of my guitars and love it. Enough that I'm going to put one in another guitar too. I don't think you'd be disappointed with one.
I have an Ibanez RG1570L and i just put a Lace Drop and Gain in it. its HUGE! its basically a more clear, passive version of the EMG 81. If you're looking into a set, one of the best mixes we've been getting is to put a Drop and Gain in the bridge and a Nitro Hemi in the neck. But they work perfectly for things as the name implies; Drop tunings and high gain settings. Feel free to write me about more details in the pickups i work for Lace. We also have the Deathbucker which will require no special routing and comes in various colors and chrome. I think either would work well for what you're trying to achieve, hope it helps!