Hey guys, i Picked up the guitar about 5 years ago and have learned from experience the feelings around the fret board with learning some most basic chords, major, minor, diminished and augmented chords and learn the simple major and minor pentatonic scales for soloing (blues, country, etc.) . I was able to join my high school jazz band and got experience playing with a band, so more or less of the word, i got quite a lot of ear training. I'm now currently a music major (brass major at the moment) at a local community collage and taken basic music theory, piano classes, and other music related classes. I always played guitar but i have never made a lesson plan for "technically" learning guitar. I talk to guitar majors at the collage but, its difficult to understand their lesson plans because they go though books and just "roll" with what their told to do with lack of definition on what they work on. I'm trying to teach myself to be more fluent on the guitar. So i was wondering...
What do you guys do for your lesson plan to become better guitarists?
What are some great method books to pick up to learn?
If not method books, any tips, common problems, constant training do you fellow players do in your practices?
I'm planning a lesson plan to learn classical guitar and jazz, day on and off each subject. Build a solid foundation to learn the fret board in a organized fashion. I also plan to start next week and the only plan i have is 30 mins to learn "positions", (if you guys can link me in the right direction also i would appreciate it) chords, inversions, modes, scales, and soloing. 30 mins working on sheet music. If any information, recommendations, etc. is greatly appreciated.
Vise versa, if anyone has any music theory related questions, i would be glad to answer them
Rock on!
P.S. the less the cost, the better.
Don't learn positions; instead learn the intervals of any scale. Modes are only useful if you understand the difference between modal tonal music. I assume since you know about basic theory, you can form most chords and/or inversions, correct?

It honestly sounds like to me that you need to focus on learning the notes of the guitar, things like bending, tapping (don't use overuse), sweeping (if you overuse this, you're a douche), etc. You should have things like chord construction, intervals of scales, etc. (basically some music theory) already down. So, I'd say you should focus on technique, and possibly composition, above most other things.

Edit:
Since you said you want to learn Jazz and Classical, here 's something on the Jazz side. Here's more on Jazz.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at May 7, 2013,
just listen to music you like and learn to play it. all of it. understand every instrument.

the amount of knowledge you can get from textbooks is limited inherently by the knowledge of the author of the book - the amount of knowledge you can gain from understanding the language of your inspirations is infinitely more encapsulating, fascinating, and efficient.
modes are a social construct
Well, I'd imagine the knowledge base of Kostka and Payne is more than anyone posting here could ever hope to amass, let alone write down.

BUT a theory textbook doesn't do much good without a teacher, ear training, and enjoyment of classical-era music. You can learn some stuff, of course, but if you want to self-teach that rigorously be aware it will take a serious time commitment.

When it comes to understanding music, what matters most is that you understand real music. Learning new ideas should go hand-in-hand with hearing them when you turn on the radio, or go to a concert. It means playing through rudimentary concepts on your instrument and learning music that uses those concepts. It means writing music with those concepts and expanding on them as your ear leads you.

And if you want to learn classical music, you'll need a teacher. It's just too technically intense to get much out of without somebody rapping your knuckles when you let a note buzz out. Jazz is less intense technically, but takes a fair bit of theory to really get inside (unless you want to spend 20 years doing transcriptions to get it "by ear").