Poll: Preference/Recommendation
Poll Options
View poll results: Preference/Recommendation
Seymour Duncan Livewire (Dave Mustaine Model)
1 33%
Seymour Duncan Mayhen SH-6 pickups.
2 67%
Voters: 3.
I'm going to be getting some new pickups for my guitar .
These are the two I've limited it down too, but I can't find a YouTube review comparing both of them. They say their both good for heavy distortion. I play from heavy metal (Demon Hunter, As I Lay Dying, TDWP, etc.) to rock (Thousand Foot Krutch and Skillet) to church music and some blues and jazz. I really like the idea of actives, But I'm not sure which one is best suited for the different genres. Thoughts?
Last edited by DruePeters at May 7, 2013,
If you really want to get actives, get actives. Hopefully you are aware of what you need to do with your guitar's electronics to get active pickups to work.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
I said I like the idea of them. I'm not aware of what I'll have to do to my electronics. Can you explain?
You'll basically have to replace all of your electronics except for the switch to convert your guitar to run actives. New jack, new pots, new tone cap and a place in your guitar to put the 9V battery. It's not difficult, but it is certainly easier to just get passives.

What is your amp? If your amp sucks, getting new pickups is a waste of money altogether.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at May 7, 2013,
An amp is first on my list. I have a little Rogue 10w lol. I don't have much money, so I'm looking at the Fender Frontman 212r.
Then forget about the pickups and get an amp first. Do not get a Frontman, you are wasting your money with that thing.

Get something decent like a 6505+ 112 used. If you don't have much money, save up until you can afford one. You cannot skimp on the amp and expect any kind of decent tone, even with new pickups.
Quote by TheSennaj
I'm 16, but am getting a job this summer. Hopefully I'll have enough. I looked at it. It seems cheap for a tube amp. The reviews for the metal guys are good, but jazz and blues only guys hated it. Have you had any experience with this amp?
Yes. I own this amp and i've heavily modded it (as it is well worth modding)

The cleans on the amp are not great, but with a nice chorus pedal you can get a decent clean sound. It just depends on how you dial the EQ. I actually quite like the crunch channel, i think it's good for blues if it's EQ'd correctly. The only thing you need to bear in mind is that you need to have the amp at fairly high volumes to get a good sound from it. The stock speakers it comes with don't handle high volumes well though, hence modding the amp by replacing the speaker is well worth doing and it vastly improves the sound of the amp overall.

If you really want a versatile amp, then you're probably better off going for something like a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 or something. The high gain tones are almost as good but it has a lot more versatility as modelling amps generally do a lot of different sounds.
Quote by TheSennaj
My majority is metal and I can make do with other styles. I think ill get the 6505. What mods have you done to it?
Upgraded the tubes, did a hot bias mod and replaced the speaker. I don't recommend doing any of this if you don't have any electronics experience. Messing with high-power guitar amplifiers is potentially very, very dangerous.

I would get thy Vypyr Tube for what you're going to be using it for mate.
Quote by TheSennaj
Looked up the bias mod. It looks really complicated. What does this mod actually do?
The speaker mod and tube mod is common from the revies that I have read.
A long and technical explanation is needed for that. Put very, very simply, the point is to increase the bias voltage of the amplifier when it is running. A lot of amplifier manufacturers bias the power tubes in such a way that they last longer, but they are not pushed as hard when the amplifier is run, but the problem with this is that the amplifier doesn't sound as good. Increasing the bias voltage reduces the life of the power tubes, but makes the amp sound amazing. It is not something you can easily do yourself and it is dangerous if you touch the wrong thing.
Quote by TheSennaj
How long do your power tubes tend to last? Also, what types do you have? I've seen tubes ranging from $20 to $200+
How long they last completely depends on how you use the amp. As for tubes, i use JJ's.
Quote by TheSennaj
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Upgraded the tubes, did a hot bias mod and replaced the speaker. I don't recommend doing any of this if you don't have any electronics experience. Messing with high-power guitar amplifiers is potentially very, very dangerous.

I would get thy Vypyr Tube for what you're going to be using it for mate.

I think if he plays mostly metal he'd be better off getting the 6505+. It's not as if it sounds crap as a stock amp biasing hot just gives the sound a bit more balls, it's not really a necessity.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at May 8, 2013,
Quote by eddiehimself
I think if he plays mostly metal he'd be better off getting the 6505+. It's not as if it sounds crap as a stock amp biasing hot just gives the sound a bit more balls, it's not really a necessity.

Oh i know it sounds pretty good stock, it's just that i bought the amp on Ebay so cheaply that it makes modding the amp to such a degree actually quite cost-effective. I did a hot bias mod because my father is an electrical and sound engineer (and he also used to design audio amplifiers), so I had the expertise on hand to do the mod.
Quote by TheSennaj
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at May 8, 2013,