I feel like such a noob asking this.

I'm saving up for a custom Warmoth guitar body and I know it only comes with the body and nothing else. I'm obviously going to put pickups in it which is where my question lies.

So if I buy some Univox humbuckers for my guitar, will I just have to buy knobs and then will I be set to connect the wires or are there other things I have to buy?

Sorry if this is confusing. I don't really know how to word this...
Cassie likes to swallow
Bleeding will not stop
I left Cassie hollow
Cut you with my cock
Your also going to have to buy a stereo 1/4" jack or just a 1/4" phone jack, probably some extra wire either 18ga or 16ga, a soldering kit if you don't have one, a 3-way toggle switch or 5-way toggle switch depending on your set-up, a few potentiometers most likely 2( one for volume one for tone) all depending on your set up (maybe 2v and 2 t) also the potentiometers have to be 500k if your running humbuckers or 250k for single-coil, and for the tone potentiometers your going to want to place a capacitor on to it about .2-.4 microfarads(might have to double check that). After all that THEN your ready to start wiring it up.
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
Quote by heretic-clown
probably some extra wire either 18ga or 16ga

I use 22 or 24 gauge. Is there any benefit to going with a larger wire?
Quote by W4RP1G

IMO it just allows easier flow for the current, but perhaps i'm over doing it with it since the current coming from the guitar is so small that 22 or 24ga is sufficient.
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
Quote by W4RP1G

BTW that "Shredcaster" of yours is freakin awesome!
Quote by heretic-clown
BTW that "Shredcaster" of yours is freakin awesome!

Thanks man!
i use 18ga on everything, from amps to guitars. no point in buying different wire if you already have something that works.

i am sure 22ga would be fine though
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Oh god, I think i'll just buy a guitar from the pawn shop and transfer all of that to the project one instead. I know absolutely nothing about installing electronics into guitars from scratch.

Also, trashedlostfdup, nice signature. Acid Bath is one of my favorite bands.
Cassie likes to swallow
Bleeding will not stop
I left Cassie hollow
Cut you with my cock
Quote by AGrimmDemise
Oh god, I think i'll just buy a guitar from the pawn shop and transfer all of that to the project one instead. I know absolutely nothing about installing electronics into guitars from scratch.

Wait, why bother doing a custom if you're just going to do that?
OffsetOffset
Quote by SteveHOC
Wait, why bother doing a custom if you're just going to do that?

^This, learn to do it and just do it. You'll be more satisfied in the end and will learn a new skill for years to come. Also, wire gauge won't matter with the low signal levels found in a guitar. 22 AWG is fine, but anything in the ball park is going to be easy to find and will work just as well. Go with whatever gauge solders easily, bends well and fits your pot terminals best. Don't be 'fraid, just crack open a few wiring diagrams on Google and get 'er done.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Quote by AGrimmDemise

If you do that then there is no point, you're still going to have to install the pickups you want, you just wont have to deal with wiring the pots. It's very easy, alot much easier than it sounds. Just go get yourself a soldering kit, maybe a soldering gun that is no more than 30watts and buy some speaker wire and practice bonding ends with it, that way you can get the hand of it before you start, and follow the schematic for the design you want.
Quote by dkunick
^This, learn to do it and just do it. You'll be more satisfied in the end and will learn a new skill for years to come. Also, wire gauge won't matter with the low signal levels found in a guitar. 22 AWG is fine, but anything in the ball park is going to be easy to find and will work just as well. Go with whatever gauge solders easily, bends well and fits your pot terminals best. Don't be 'fraid, just crack open a few wiring diagrams on Google and get 'er done.

This
Don't buy a cheap guitar and the cheap stock components that come i it.

Here you go:

Volume and tone pots (order as many as you need)

Capacitors for tone pots (order as many as you need, 1 for each tone knob)

Strat style 5-way switch

Strat sytle 3-way switch

Les paul style switch (they have different colors)

Ibanez style output jack (they have different colors)

Tele style output jack (they have different colors)

Jack for Strats AND Les Pauls

Jack plate for a strat (they have different colors)

Jack plate for a Les Paul (they have different colors)

Cavity shielding (to prevent electronic interference)

Wiring kit

Alternative wire: Radio Shack wire

Radio Shack soldering iron

Solder

Then when you have everything you need and you know the pickup configuration you want, come back and ask for a wiring diagram that you can follow. And in the meantime, watch some youtube how-to videos on soldering guitar electronics. Trust me, it's not as hard as you may think.
Last edited by W4RP1G at May 8, 2013,