(entry note: my first choice would've been trying both guitars at a store, I'm more concerned about actually playing them than anything else, but in my country we don't have that kind of stores, so I'm stuck with an online buy)

I'm a newbie looking to buy my first electric guitar. So I've fallen in love with teles, and so I ultimately came between two squier models.

First is the Vintage Modified Custom for $250

Second it's the Vintage Modified Series 301260506 , which apparently is an upgrade to the first one, for $300 ($50 more)

Suposedly, they're both really good for their price. There seems to be many things different: better pickups, different neck finishes, etc. In general, I don't doubt the second one is actually the better one; but that's not my case here.

What I'm mainly concerned about is the wood of the bodies. See, the first one has an agathis body, the second one basswood. Now I'm aware both are apparently cheap woods, I'm ok with that. It's my first guitar, after all.

I'm concerned about this because it is such a permanent aspect of the guitar... The pickups, for example, I can change later; the body not so much (again: I do not know much, you probably can; but I'm guessing it's not recommended?) I've read in some places that basswood apparently is better than agathis... I was wondering if someone could tell me something about that. Or even better, if someone around here owns/has tried one of the guitars so they can give me their opinions.

I would actually prefer to just spend $250 and upgrade later, but if basswood is actually that much better, I would be willing to give those extra $50. So, I guess my questions are:

Is basswood really a better wood than agathis? Are the extra $50 worth for a
basswood body instead of an agathis body?

EXTRA QUESTION: I've read in many places that Alder bodies are better than basswood and agathis... so how come the Affinity teles, the cheapest models, have an alder body? I don't get it...

PD: I'm aware there's a Custom II for $280 with better pickups than the $250 one, but I repeat: those I can change later, I'm concerned about the body

Sorry for the extreme newbiness and THANKS!
Last edited by fabiodiazS at May 8, 2013,
generally agathis isn't considered to be a good wood.

basswood can be great and it can be bad. depend on the quality and how much you want to spend.

i have an Ibanez 3550MZ, and its basswood. they sell for $1800 new. and there are cheap guitars made out of basswood that are shit.

alder also can be cheap or expensive. just depends on the quality.

the body woods do affect tone, but the quality of the wood for that guitar is likely more important than what wood it is.

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
For what its worth I'd pick the first one, I love teles and i love the tele bridge single coil and Humbucker neck combo always. So that gives you more versatility than the first. And basswood is indeed better. Its a good choice of a guitar Squiers really dont have bad quality at all. But if its your first guitar i suggest going to a guitar store and getting your hands on as many guitars as you can so you can find what you like. In your first guitar playability and how it feels imo is infinitely more important than what kind of wood. I dont really believe what kind of wood its made of is a deal breaker for any guitar, and your first guitar should feel good in your hands first and foremost.
you can change the body of a bolt-on guitar easily enough. the problem is you're into a ship of theseus/trigger's broom type of scenario very quickly if you're not careful

regarding those two guitars, I don't think either is "better" than the other (though i could be wrong). Just one has a bridge single coil, and the other has a bridge humbucker, they're just based on two different classic fender models, the 72 tele custom and the 72 tele deluxe.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by fabiodiazS

(a) EXTRA QUESTION: I've read in many places that Alder bodies are better than basswood and agathis... so how come the Affinity teles, the cheapest models, have an alder body? I don't get it...

(b) PD: I'm aware there's a Custom II for $280 with better pickups than the $250 one, but I repeat: those I can change later, I'm concerned about the body

Sorry for the extreme newbiness and THANKS!

(a) yeah that is kinda weird. I haven't tried enough squiers to really know, but it could be lower quality alder, more pieces of wood (which is cheaper), or maybe the whole guitar isn't made as well with as much attention to detail but they then put more money into the wood.

(b) again, i'm not sure if the pickups are "better". they're "different".
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?