Hey...
I need to know a good song for my college admission which I have to perform for my audition.
Pls advise..
I was thinking of Drifting by Andy McKee
Or
Stairways to Heaven..

Thanks
Romus
At what level does the song have to be?
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

I recently got a college place through audition, playin bass but still had to pick a song. Basically the course in going for is set on Popular music, not necessarily chart but Rock , indie bands whatever. Because of that I just choose something that fits that? I did Polly on Bass but like my friends college has a more Jazz , seriousy side to it so he choose a Jazz piece? If that makes sense.

Basically just play something that fits in with the course , no point going in playing thrash metal if your not going to play or study it on the course. Also no offence but level are you applying for? In England we have level 2 at gcse level and level 3 which is A-level level so make it relative to that aswell. Good luck though , just pick something and play it well I was guilty of over thinking it and really shouldn't have! Also make sure you can answer your questions on scales they'll probably want you to play a major and minor scale and quiz you on triads a little that's all.
@ simonGrounsell.. It's a college in india... it will be like lvl 3.... + i think d college will prefer rock or sumthing different but thanks fr d advise... will do that.....

@SteveHOG..... i gt originals pieces but they are not technically very impressive... thats y i thought i would cover sumthing good... otherwise wat would u suggest???
How good are you and what stuff can you play?

Andy McKee is so different from Led Zeppelin that I don't really know what to recommend. I can play Dream Theater, Vai, and BTBAM, but I'm absolute garbage on an acoustic... what floats your boat and what are some of your favorite bands?
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
How good are you and what stuff can you play?

Andy McKee is so different from Led Zeppelin that I don't really know what to recommend. I can play Dream Theater, Vai, and BTBAM, but I'm absolute garbage on an acoustic... what floats your boat and what are some of your favorite bands?

I hav been playing for around one year... I can play stuff like Hourglass, Walk wit me in hell etc by LOG, then most of the songs by System of A Down and Few songs by Eric Clapton.
I mosstly listen to Metal and similar genre including bands like Dream Theater, Arch Enemy, Avenged Sevenfold, Breaking Benjamin etc
Do stairway, not denied! If you're really feeling adventurous try Saints and Sinners by Arch Enemy! For basic college if it's anything like it is here then you don't need to be Joe Satriani to get on the course, pretty much anyone can blag their way into most.

Americans call "college" what we call university, in the UK we call college a place many people go instead of the final 2 years of school (16-18), before university. Not sure if it's the same where you're at, but to give a perspective that "college" doesn't necessarily mean the same thing all the time.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Quote by Bigbazz
Do stairway, not denied! If you're really feeling adventurous try Saints and Sinners by Arch Enemy! For basic college if it's anything like it is here then you don't need to be Joe Satriani to get on the course, pretty much anyone can blag their way into most.

Americans call "college" what we call university, in the UK we call college a place many people go instead of the final 2 years of school (16-18), before university. Not sure if it's the same where you're at, but to give a perspective that "college" doesn't necessarily mean the same thing all the time.

It would be then university equivalent here in India..... Saints & Sinners is a good option...... But I think Stairways would be more ideal for the place I'm trying for...
Thanks.
This is a dumb thread.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Could go down a different route and play Solfeggietto by C. P. E. Bach. It is hard though, or at least I think it is haha.
Do something that illustrates you're a really good rhythm player. They will likely see tonnes of guitarists who think that shred is what they need to do but anyone who's played for even a vaguely long time will tell you that rhythm skills are much more important.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Do something that illustrates you're a really good rhythm player. They will likely see tonnes of guitarists who think that shred is what they need to do but anyone who's played for even a vaguely long time will tell you that rhythm skills are much more important.

+1

but spice it up a bit.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Little Wing by Hendrix with some personal touches. Or maybe Sultans of Swing if you're into finger picking.
Quote by RomusSOAD
I hav been playing for around one year... I can play stuff like Hourglass, Walk wit me in hell etc by LOG, then most of the songs by System of A Down and Few songs by Eric Clapton.
I mosstly listen to Metal and similar genre including bands like Dream Theater, Arch Enemy, Avenged Sevenfold, Breaking Benjamin etc

You've only been playing for one year? Are you even sure this is what you completely want to do with your life? I mean, you can study absolutely ANYTHING at university, bud. You could study nuclear physics, wildlife ecology, medicine, law, all sorts of fantastic stuff.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
You've only been playing for one year? Are you even sure this is what you completely want to do with your life? I mean, you can study absolutely ANYTHING at university, bud. You could study nuclear physics, wildlife ecology, medicine, law, all sorts of fantastic stuff.

+1

I love playing guitar. I did it semi-professionally for six years in a group that composed all original music (and really, good, thoughtful stuff). In the end though, I ended up with degrees in English and History, as did my drummer. Our singer did Political Science, the other guitarist studied Finance, the bassist studied Environmental Engineering.

You can have a passion that you're set on pursuing, but you can back that up with independent study and practice. Having only played for a year, and this is just my opinion, but I wouldn't necessarily look at that as a primary field of study. Hell, I've been doing music for 20 years (I'm 25), and even I wouldn't be thinking of that as a primary degree field.

Again, just a thought, to back up Rooster.
OffsetOffset
Last edited by SteveHOC at May 20, 2013,
Quote by SteveHOC
+1

I love playing guitar. I did it semi-professionally for six years in a group that composed all original music (and really, good, thoughtful stuff). In the end though, I ended up with degrees in English and Hostory, as did my drummer. Our singer did Political Science, the other guitarist studied Finance, the bassist studied Environmental Engineering.

You can have a passion that you're set on pursuing, but you can back that up with independent study and practice. Having only played for a year, and this is just my opinion, but I wouldn't necessarily look at that as a primary field of study. Hell, I've been doing music for 20 years (I'm 25), and even I wouldn't be thinking of that as a primary degree field.

Again, just a thought, to back up Rooster.

I'm thinking of going down this path in the future currently finishing AS levels) and while I understand your point, I view it as the only option I really have, as most degrees I've either not taken the right subjects for, they aren't the subjects that are right for me, or just it woouldn't be interesting enough to carry on at degree level.
I've been playing for roughly 3 and a half years so far, 6 months electric and 3 acoustic. I would however only be starting the actual degree in roughly 2-3 years time though, and before will be taking a level 3 BTEC in music the two years before hand.
I feel this is a good choice as I have a very active interest in music, in terms of playing, recordin and industry. The plan is pretty much pick up skills over the next few years, as till now I've been a bedroom cover musician really.
d
What would you say? Good idea?

P.S. by active interest I mean i would like to learn and pick up skills e.g. recording, playing in bands, compositon
Last edited by ambler3 at May 20, 2013,
I'd say you've got time and apparently passion for it - go for it!
OffsetOffset
Yeah, while i'm being wary of the 'I have no clue what to do so I'll pick the easiest decision' I feel that in terms of job opportunities, music would be the most interesting too, unlike chemistry which would be my other choice- interesting to study but a job would most likely be pretty damn boring.
Yeah, well, I picked English because it was a passion. Little did I know that no one cares to read anymore, and with the advent of technology, so goes modern language. Study what you love, even if you don't end up in the best of jobs, at least you followed your passion.
OffsetOffset