Hello everyone! in the last 4 months I've build a game demo as my graduation project for Game Art and I just released it today on IndieDB.
It's a free playable proof of concept that I worked on with the help of a programmer and a sound designer and the goal was to get something as good as possible from the ground up in 4 months.

Here's a description of the game:
De/Ascend is a futuristic time trial based racing game. Inspired by games like Wipeout and Trackmania, De/Ascend creates a fresh and vibrant looking game with fun basic gameplay elements, something that has been lacking in the racing genre according to the developers. The game is built in Unity 4 in 4 months time by 3 students (one artist, programmer and sounddesigner) and features 1 track and 1 vehicle, though gameplay value is added with the track and car both being avaiable in 4 variations. Being made as a graduation project, the game will probably no longer be worked on when the demo is finnished, unless there is huge interest for this to be continued. So any feedback and comments are very much appriciated.

The game can be downloaded here for free on IndieDB:

Trailer:

Screenshots:

There has been an overwhelming amount of positive feedback on this already by people who saw and played it, both from the general public and people from the industry (even including great reactions from an ex-Guerilla Games artist) so we are more than happy with how this turned out!

I was also recently interviewed on BiasBear.com, which you can read here:

The game was also reviewed by PixaByte which you can check out here:

Find De/Ascend on:

I say give the game a spin since it's free and tell us what you think about it! feedback is very much appriciated, thank you!
Any system requirements? My laptop's a piece of shit. It does look pretty interesting though.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Cool stuff dude. Will try it out and try to fire back some feedback.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Looks good, downloading.

EDIT: Played it, don't like the fact that everytime I touch the wall, even slightly, it wedges me up against it and stops me completely. Also, the steering is a little sensitive. Other than that, has potential.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Last edited by macaroni at May 8, 2013,
Looks good unfortunately it only runs on windows so I'm out

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
THIS WAS MEANT TO BE A PIG
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]
The feel of this game is so weird, but fun. Definitely takes some getting used to.

Have to say that Trackmania's handling feels better, for an arcade game, but that's a tough game to beat in terms of fun arcade racing games. Your game looks fantastic, perhaps the night setting would benefit from bright coloured LED-style lighting on the edges or the middle of the road, because it's really dark, but maybe the overly dark track is fun?
The graphics look very smart from the screenshots. Will download it and give it a go!

EDIT: Played it.

The menus look very nice and smooth and they work as expected. The game runs really smoothly on max settings also.

The handling does need some work though. It feels like when you turn, the car rotates around its center and I dont know if this is just due to the engine or what. If it can't be helped, then thats fine.

Going round 2 of the tight corners, taking the racing line meant hitting some weird bumps which took my car out of control and ended up going into a wall.

Its a really nice looking game and runs great but just needs some tweaking to the mechanics or track or whatever.

Good luck!
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Last edited by leony03 at May 8, 2013,
Very cool, I got 37.13 on the ascending day track. The controls are jittery and the caught in the wall thing is a bit annoying but overall it's a neat game. The graphics look great and the car design is nice. Not to be mean but you should have put as much more or more effort into smoothing out the gameplay as the beautiful graphics.
Holy shit, this looks awesome
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Duke Ellington

I'm sick and tired of people calling America the stupidest country in the world. I personally think Europe is the stupidest country.
Looks great from the screenshots. Not gonna try it though because of a serious risk that my computer might explode
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Pretty much agree with what's been said. Looks great, but the physics need work and it's annoying as hell hitting the wall.
I agree tenfold.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Duke Ellington

I'm sick and tired of people calling America the stupidest country in the world. I personally think Europe is the stupidest country.
Thanks guys glad you are liking it!
Regarding the handling and physics, we are definately aware of them, it was really hard to do but this was just the best we could do with our skills and the time and resources we had.
I agree with people talking about the handling issues, but man this game definitely looks fantastic! Very nice and clean style. It definitely could use some more visual feedback like sparks/smoke/whatever, but that's all polish and fancy stuff. Models and lighting are awesome. Well done!
The environments/track look like they could be in a Halo racing game, obviously the cars would need to be changed to Warthogs and Banshees :P

My laptop is crap so I won't even bother trying to play it but from the screenshots, it looks nice. I would give it a shot if I could.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
at work, will dl when i get home, looks good though!
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by link no1
The environments/track look like they could be in a Halo racing game, obviously the cars would need to be changed to Warthogs and Banshees :P

Haha, now that you mention it - this! It really does look like it was set in the first game, albeit with updated graphics
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Too be honest I'll probably never try it. But god damn props to three people making a game look like this in four months.
Quote by EMGs_rule
Looks good unfortunately it only runs on windows so I'm out

l2useaVM, noob!

I'm still wondering about the system requirements, TS. I'm not downloading it if my PC can't run it. (I have chipset GPU, if that tells you anything...)
38:26

Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I have chipset GPU, if that tells you anything...

what an awful excuse for a "computer science major" you are
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Question, why don't you have an online version? Does it not run in the Unity Webplayer?

If it did I could play this shit!

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
THIS WAS MEANT TO BE A PIG
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]
Game looks pretty cool. Unfortunately, I'm running linux.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
It looks awesome, but the sticky wall thing is really annoying. Massive props for doing it in 4 months!
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
"Ooh! Straight-jackets online! Christmas sorted."
The visuals look slick as fuck, will download in a bit.
Quote by element4433
What if the way their wieners were positioned they could only pee into each other's mouths?

And one had his finger joined to the other's butthole?

PLAY
UG
MINECRAFT

Or don't. Yeah don't.
im gonna be blunt here, i didn't like it. it looks great but it's lacking in gameplay. the track was annoying in structure, too short and boring (put some ramps up in there, tunnels, shortcuts all that good stuff). the driving felt awkward and the sound of the engine was bad. you've got potential, the game just feels unfinished to me. keep working on it.

Quote by TunerAddict

lol
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by TunerAddict

Hey, all of us start out poor.

I'll be replacing this pile of outdated machinery in a few months though, so it's cool. (See sig.)

Quote by EMGs_rule
If it did I could play this shit!

http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX -- That site should at least get you started on what a VM (aka "Virtual Machine") is and how it works. Now, go find the latest Windows VM for your version of Mac.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at May 8, 2013,
Quote by Benjami
Thanks guys glad you are liking it!
Regarding the handling and physics, we are definately aware of them, it was really hard to do but this was just the best we could do with our skills and the time and resources we had.

Thats fair enough then What you have so far is fantastic. Its probably the best looking game I've seen on Unity so far. I hope you get to carry it on and learn some more stuff because it has potential. Reminds me of a mix between Trackmania and Wipeout.

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Quote by CoreysMonster
Question, why don't you have an online version? Does it not run in the Unity Webplayer?
It would run but loading/streaming would take a tad too long since it's a single scene of 287mb so I decided not to run with that.

Quote by leony03
Thats fair enough then What you have so far is fantastic. Its probably the best looking game I've seen on Unity so far. I hope you get to carry it on and learn some more stuff because it has potential. Reminds me of a mix between Trackmania and Wipeout.

Thanks! yes those games have been the main influences for this title.

Quote by ChucklesMginty
Managed to do it in 33 secs without hitting the walls.

26 is possible

Quote by crazysam23_Atax
lI'm still wondering about the system requirements, TS. I'm not downloading it if my PC can't run it. (I have chipset GPU, if that tells you anything...)
I don't have have any solid requirements for this, I do know that my 4 year old laptop barely runs it without real time shadows, post process effects and a lower resolution but that's it, just try it out
And yes before you wonder I just made all the art for this, I know very little of performance etc when it comes to programming
Last edited by Benjami at May 8, 2013,
Quote by Benjami
It would run but loading/streaming would take a tad too long since it's a single scene of 287mb so I decided not to run with that.

That much even compressed for the Webplayer?
Quote by Benjami
I don't have have any solid requirements for this, I do know that my 4 year old laptop barely runs it without real time shadows, post process effects and a lower resolution but that's it, just try it out

Ok, cool! I'll give it a shot. My PC's not as old as yours, lol.

And yes before you wonder I just made all the art for this, I know very little of performance etc when it comes to programming

No, it's all good. I wouldn't expect you to know much about efficiency of algorithms and how that relates to performance, etc., etc.
That'd be like expecting me (as an amateur programmer) to know how to do excellent graphics.
Quote by Benjami
Thanks! yes those games have been the main influences for this title.
:

Haha I'm so awesome

Quote by angusfan16