I'm having signal loss in my effects loop. Just got my new amp, and am getting signal loss whenever I engage the effects loop. All my equipment is listed in my sig.

My current chain is as follows: Guitar output > NS-2 input > from send to amp input > from effects loop send to MXR EQ > BF-2 > PH-2 > CE-5 > NS-2 return > output to amp FX return.

For power, I use the 18v adapter that came with MXR to power it. I have a Boss PSA adapter running into the NS-2 with that daisy chaining the three other boss pedals with a standard daisy chain lead.

I've tried ruling out every pedal, one at a time and I'm aware of the issues with BF-2s that require the ACA adapter but can be run without problem through daisy chaining. I've tried running the NS-2 in the effects loop after the CE-5 and having guitar straight into amp. I've also tried it running into the amp and not being in the effects loop at all.

Lastly (though I did this first) I tried running a cable from my amp's effects loop from its send to its return. Absolutely no difference in tone. It's not the amp.

I'm baffled guys. I can only think it's due to daisy chaining the pedals with them being buffered. But it's a major annoyance as I'm losing some power valve breakup, giving me a weaker guitar tone.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Listed in my sig. EVH 5150 III 50 watt. I've already ruled the amp out by using a cable straight from its send to return with no problems, as I said.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Yeah, those are things I checked too, probably coulda added that. Like I say with regards to the BF-2 though, I singled out every pedal. I took it out of the chain, and got the same lower level. coming through. I even took the daisy chain out of it to make sure it wasn't still eating at the current that would be going into the other pedals.
Last edited by Lavatain at May 8, 2013,
Bump. Really need some help with this :/
I had some random problems with my effects loop on my 6505+ similar to what you had. However it wasn't constant. Some times I would set up and get low volume through the loop and sometimes it would work fine. I replaced the preamp tube for the effects loop and cleaned the effects loop jacks and it seemed to do the trick. I haven't had a problem since.

That may be a possibility here, although my trouble shooting methods were far from scientific, so it could be something else.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
You might be overwhelming that Boss power supply.
I already deciphered its not the amp though? I ran a cable directly from the send to the return. Hit the effects loop button on and off with no volume drop. I still got the little pop associated with the loop being turned on and off though. Which I assume is normal, it's not something I'd wanna worry about.

Overwhelming the power supply is something I need to look into. I'm not sure what the max current draw is and what my pedals take.
Last edited by Lavatain at May 10, 2013,
I tried this only to discover the 9v batteries I had lying around we're dead as a nut haha.

I'll post results of that once I'm able to.
Update: I know this is over a week old now, but I've been able to get myself more 9V batteries and the problem still persists. I used every pedal combination I could in my effects loop and still have the same problem. Definitely some tone suck going on as well as the volume drop, losing some high end.

I've tried using every cable in my effects loop chain as well, going straight from the amp's Send to its Return. Absolutely no drop in tone or volume with every cable tried.

So I've tried every possible combination of things to go in my effects loop. I get my problem from any Boss pedal being in the loop, and no matter how many it's the same level of drop. What do!?
only strange thing im seeing there is the NS-2....thats a lot going through that pedal. have you tried removing it entirely?

get rid of the boss power supply, what type of patch cables are in the loop and what type of cables are you making the loop with (instrument cables)?
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
I have tried removing it yes! I tried running it with a battery as well. 4 batteries powering 4 boss pedals. Mxr was outta the loop entirely. Just using generic mid priced cables through all my connections. I never cheap out, but I never go top dollar. I've tried switching them around and using every different cable straight from the amps send to its return. No cable is giving me my volume drop.

It's gotta be something to do with the boss pedal's non true bypass I figure.
I've got the same amp and I only run true bypass pedals in my loop (except for an eventide pedal, but that's got a crazy good buffer that doesn't affect anything).
I have zero signal drop.
However, I used to have an MXR Chorus pedal in there before, and that lowered the signal.
So give it a shot using pedals that are true bypass (and I mean true bypass, not that thing that mxr pedals have for instance, that sounds like true bypass, but isn't really).

I think you're out of luck unless you use strictly true bypass pedals honestly.
I guess you could try using the MXR EQ you already got in there to compensate for the signal loss otherwise?

That is a very annoying issue, and I understand completely.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Quote by Shor
I've got the same amp and I only run true bypass pedals in my loop (except for an eventide pedal, but that's got a crazy good buffer that doesn't affect anything).
I have zero signal drop.
However, I used to have an MXR Chorus pedal in there before, and that lowered the signal.
So give it a shot using pedals that are true bypass (and I mean true bypass, not that thing that mxr pedals have for instance, that sounds like true bypass, but isn't really).

I think you're out of luck unless you use strictly true bypass pedals honestly.
I guess you could try using the MXR EQ you already got in there to compensate for the signal loss otherwise?

That is a very annoying issue, and I understand completely.

I figured this would be the case. I really want to be using my MXR as a mid boost for solos though, as I really need to cut through over the rhythm guitarist during solos. I'll look into a cheap boost to push the volume up slightly that'll stay on all the time as I really like the sound of my buffered boss pedals haha.

Edit: on second thought, an overdrive with a nice mid-hump might be nice to run infront of the amp to boost my volume for solos and use the EQ for volume boost in FX loop at all times.
Last edited by Lavatain at May 21, 2013,