Really been wanting a Fender amp after trying a bunch out at my local guit shop.
Any recommendations? Im really into Blues rock, but also psychedelic stoner type rock.
Really love the look of tweed but its not necessary. I tried the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe reissue and loved it What do you guys think?
Home use? Gigging?
Budget?
On board Reverb necessary, or an effects loop?
What particular tones are you going after?

Fender covers a lot of ground in their lineup.
Also there's a ton of better amps that Fender has made than the Hot Rod Deluxe. An entire channel of that amp is borderline useless.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at May 8, 2013,
Under a thousand my guitar idol is David gilmour so that should help only need an overdrive channel as far as things on board
You might try looking at a Peavey Classic 50 if you wanna do the Gilmour thing, the Classics can get surprisingly close to his signature sound with the right pickups. They're even covered in tweed, the 30W model can be had for around $325 (used) and the 50W for a little more.

There's an excellent video floating around somewhere of a guy doing a spot-on performance of Comfortably Numb with a Classic 30, I can't find it anywhere now . This isn't bad though, albeit not a Strat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF5l30lbPro
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Depends on where you live really. If you are in the US hunt down a big ol' blackface Fender.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Are you wanting to be able to play out, or just sit and jam at home? Something like a Blackface/Tweed Champ would be great for playing by yourself, but not so much with a drummer.

You could land a Silverface Princeton Reverb for about a grand, or a non-reverb blackface model for around $900. Most of your Blackface amps are over a grand nowadays, but there's a few models like a Bassman, Bandmaster, or Showman you could get. These are all vintage suggestions btw.

There's also the reissues they make. I dunno much about these though.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

The HRD amps are nice but like previously mentioned, the gain channel is under par. I have a Blues Jr. NOS and love the crap out of it. The thing about Fender is that most of their amps take pedals really, really well (even the ones without a loop), so stacking a clean boost and a good overdrive like a Timmy in front of it will bring awesome results.
I'm strictly playing at home but I live in the country so I usually jam pretty loud, I like the peavey classic ive played but iv really just always wanted a fender amp I guess it's just a nostalgia type thing
Then buy a real Fender, not a HRD. Something from the days when Leo was involved. They're the good ones.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Then buy a real Fender, not a HRD. Something from the days when Leo was involved. They're the good ones.

that.

but for cheap there's a 70s pro reverb at my local sam ash for $550.

the guy put it in a wooden cab without any tolex, it looks decent but that took the value out of it. OP you could put a tweed tolex on it. he also put a black face front panel on it. he may have blackfaced the guts of it i don't know honestly but it sounded great.

the speakers are original and it has the footswitch.

i'd take that thing if i didn't buy a car yesterday. thanks alot god/allah/nothinghappenswhenyoudie....
Last edited by gregs1020 at May 8, 2013,
What Cath said, which is everything up through the Blackface models. You could land a nice Silverface within your budget though. The Blues Jr is a hell of an amp for their modern lineup though, I heard a blues band use one a few weeks ago and it really impressed me for a little amp.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Im really liking the Peavey Delta Blues now after watching a video think i need to go check one out, anyone played one?
Quote by DannyV783
Im really liking the Peavey Delta Blues now after watching a video think i need to go check one out, anyone played one?

From what I understand it is a slightly modified Classic, the biggest difference being the 15" speaker and not the normal 12", though I know there are other differences
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Iv really only been wanting a fender but after listening to it compared to some fender amps in my range this thing sounds just raunchy and mean. Perfect for what im trying to get i wont know till i go check one out for myself but im thinking i might be buying one of these pretty soon,

Edit: but im seeing it has no standby switch. Arent these very necessary for a tube amp. Iv never seen one without
Last edited by DannyV783 at May 9, 2013,
They are a sweet grab, cheap, American made, and they do have a good sound. I think you could definitely be happy with it, though as you said you have to check it out to know for sure.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
So do you think if i just give it a minute to warm up it would have the same effect as standing by? as far as keeping the tubes maintained
Blues Juniors have no standby switch.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by DannyV783
Actually it was Reissue Blues Deluxe not a hot rod that i was playing

Nice amp, but way too loud for home use. Also, the overdrive channel leaves something to be desired. It's worthless.

The Delta Blues and Blues Jr NOS (the one with the Jensen speaker) should definitely be on your trial list.
delta blues amps come in two speaker configs, 2x10 or 1x15, just fyi. i had the 2x10 version and liked it a lot for classic rock or cleans etc.
Quote by DannyV783
So do you think if i just give it a minute to warm up it would have the same effect as standing by? as far as keeping the tubes maintained

yeah pretty much
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Delta Blues is the same thing as a Classic 30, the only mentionable differences being a 15" speaker (or 2x10" speakers) and a tremolo channel.

Quote by DannyV783
Edit: but im seeing it has no standby switch. Arent these very necessary for a tube amp. Iv never seen one without
A lot of vintage Fender amps didn't have standby switches, among other brands. Technically there isn't a need for a standby switch for the power a guitar amp has running through it, but it is a nice feature.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60