So basically, i really want to start playing electric guitar. I don't really want to start on an acoustic because they really bore me. I think i just mostly want to play in my room and learn some of my favorite songs while learning theory on the side. The maximum i will spend is $270 on both guitar and amp(on dat budget lol).

Additional info

Favorite Bands/Artists:
The Clash
Fugazi
Descendents
Plumtree
High Tension Wires
Streetlight Manifesto

Favorite Genres:
Hardcore Punk, Ska-core, Indie Rock, Regular Punk Rock, Skate Pun

Some gear i have in mind:
Dean Vendetta XM
Epiphone SG Special
Ibanez GRX20
Squier Affinity Strat HSS Rosewood
Squier Vintage Modified(Looks very complicated to me lol
Orange Micro Crush Pix
Acoustic Lead Series G10
Kustom KG1 10w

Open to more suggestions!
Well, you've got some good influences.

I'd look for a used Squier Telecaster and a Vox VT (probably a 15 on your budget).
Short of that, I'd try to sock away more funds.

Steer clear of starter packs and those Epiphone Specials.
OffsetOffset
I'm assuming you already know to play the guitar?

If so, go to your local guitar store and try out some stuff. I'm gonna recommend you also check out the used amps and see if they have a Peavey Vypyr 30 for around $100. You probably won't find a better amp for the price than that, and that will leave you with $170 for a guitar(which goes a lot further when you go used).

Oh nvm the first sentence, I guess you are just starting out. In that case, do what I said with the amp, and for the guitar look at the Yamaha Pacificas and used Squier Vintage Modified and Classic Vibes.
Last edited by W4RP1G at May 8, 2013,
Just pop into a guitar shop and try out some cheap stuff. If you're starting out it doesn't matter too much on the guitar.

I started with the biggest piece of crap I have ever seen but upgraded to something better after I gained some skill and decided I was definitely dedicated enough to keep playing. You won't kick yourself about wasting too much money if you just buy something dirt cheap and give up after a month.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
Quote by link no1
Just pop into a guitar shop and try out some cheap stuff. If you're starting out it doesn't matter too much on the guitar.

I started with the biggest piece of crap I have ever seen but upgraded to something better after I gained some skill and decided I was definitely dedicated enough to keep playing. You won't kick yourself about wasting too much money if you just buy something dirt cheap and give up after a month.

I did the same exact thing. I have a Yamaha guitar that wasn't anything special but I still have it and play it. the problem is that $270 wont get you very far. id suggest maybe a Yamaha pacifica like suggested earlier because they are decent and cheap. it just leaves you no money for an amp. the suggestion of not buying a starter pack might not be an option because of your budget.
Try to save up to $350. Then get a Vypyr and a Les Paul 100 or something with a humbucker. I actually started out with a Les Paul Special. It's not terrible but it's definitely not...special. Well, it is. In that "licking windows" kind of way.

Also, kudos to you, sir. Good to see another ska kid around these parts. Keep calm and skank on.
Quote by SteveHOC
I'd try to sock away more funds.

While I appreciate where this initial suggestion always comes from... The first quest we should ask before this suggestion is.... HOW LONG did it take you to get the $270??

1. One time shot with birthday money that won;t happen for another year?
2. Saved your spending money for the last 6 months, or more, just to get that?

If it is either 1 or 2... Then I fully support your decision to buy something now.

If, however, you are operating within the conditions of options 3...
3. You can get another $270 to spend just as soon as the next month rolls by....

If this is the case... Wait one month and get a better range of first equipment.

Quote by SteveHOC
I'd try to sock away more funds.

Steer clear of starter packs and those Epiphone Specials.

I completely agree with this. If you are really serious about playing, you will hate that you spent the money on a starter kit within 6 months, which will be about the time you can begin to tell the difference between that starter kit and the $300 guitar hanging on craigslist that you passed up earlier.
Last edited by RedJamaX at May 8, 2013,
^^^^ and you'll be pushing shit uphill trying to find someone to buy the starter pack guitar for better than $50...

Save some more money, wash cars, mow lawns etc etc. $540 buys one hell of a lot better gear on the second hand market.
I'd look on craigslist for used guitars and amps... $270 can go a long way. I see beginner guitar/amp combos for dirt cheap all the time. Just get a guitar that you think looks cool enough to make you want to pick it up and play it. If being a guitarist doesnt stick with you, you should be able to sell it for about what you paid.
Last edited by dropb81 at May 10, 2013,