Ok,so here it is. I'm sure you've all heard this before and I'm probably just restarting a new thread and somebody else had already asked this. but I'm new here and I I am looking to throw down a lot of loot so any help from any experience guitar players would be awesome and very much appreciated. I'm having trouble figuring out which exact guitar that I want to buy. I'm looking at both Gibson and Paul Reed Smith. this will more than likely be the last guitar I buy for quite a few years so I'm going to do this once. I have about 3000 dollars to spend. but more than the money I'm looking for an extremely good sounding guitar with awesome tone. now I'm sure at that price range any guitar I pick up will be pretty freaking awesome. the problem I'm having is there are so many different models its ridiculous.. who makes a better guitar? in which brand would you get more for your money? what's the big difference between all the models? I can't even begin to think about possibly playing every single guitar but I've looked at. if it helps any the style of music I play is everything from the Black Keys to progressive metal.

my head is swimming with making a decision on al the different models and if anybody could shed a little insight on the differences pros and cons man what I greatly appreciate it.

thank you in advance for any information that would help me.

oh and I don't know if it matters or not but I have not upgraded my amp yet. I'm still playing out of a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. for that I'm leaning towards either Mesa Boogie or Orange. but that could possibly be a whole nother thread.
Last edited by SpiralArchitec7 at May 8, 2013,
right now a fender Hot Rod Deluxe. but I will be upgrading to either a messa boogie or an orange amp
Good deal, if the $3,000 is your budget for just the guitar, you've got lots of options. If you're going for classic and versatile, I'd look at the PRS Custom 24. The McCarty is awesome, but out of your budget unless you can swing a deal.
OffsetOffset
Sorry this is going to be the most generic UG response, tone comes mostly from your amp and which brand is better is completely subjective. You just have to go get your hands on some guitars.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
I have been leaning towards the PRS and the McCartney is a beautiful axe. still though I am lost in a sea of decisions. and as I understand it Les Pauls in the same price range are very comparable if not better by some people's opinions.

as far as tone being mainly from the amp I can agree and disagree. when I bought my Gibson SG Standard it was a huge step up from my Epiphone Les Paul Standard. the difference between the two are night and day. so it is my belief that the better the guitar he better the sound quality. but also when I upgraded from my solid state Marshall amplifier to my tube driven fender amplifier there again was a complete change in tone.( I do get the fact that they are two different brands) :-)

I guess it is also worth mentioning that all my playing will be done in a home studio. I'm trying to find that perfect tone. that sound that makes your spine tingle.
Last edited by SpiralArchitec7 at May 8, 2013,
Depending on your studio setup, you can make pretty much any guitar sound good. The amp will shape you tone moreso than the guitar, but again, in a studio you can pretty much produce whatever you want from a limited rig.
OffsetOffset
I hear ya, Pro Tools and all those beautiful plugins are amazing. But im trying to find my sound. And should i find myself in a situation outside of the home studio i would like to be able recreate the same sound. Also,im recording recording at two different places. One is awsome and has just about every thing and the other........ Not so much. And you have to admit,a good guitar with a good amp is better than a good amp and a cheap guitar. But im wondering now if i should spend a little less on the guitar and more on the amp?
What guitar(s) do you currently own? I'd consider getting a nice amp FIRST and then go from there. Tone comes from your amp and your hands much more than any guitar.

I am very familiar with most every PRS model there is. I haven't owned all of them, but definitely quite a few of them. First question, do you want a trem or not?
right now I have a Gibson SG Standard & an Epiphone Les Paul Standard. I don't think that I want a trem on my guitar my experience with them is your always tuning them.
I have owned both Gibson LP's and PRS guitars. I ended up selling the LP's after I bought my first PRS. Both guitars sound and play great, but the PRS is lighter and I like it just a bit more.

With guitars buy used. I have the discontinued PRS CE22 which is basically the Bolt-on Custom 22. They also make the CE24 which is a bolt-on Custom 24. These guitars have the same electronics and are available used for $900-$1300

The PRS trem is really great. I hardly ever use it and I have absolutely no trouble with tuning stability. Probably the best vintage style trem that is made
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at May 9, 2013,
Quote by l3p4rd
Sorry this is going to be the most generic UG response, tone comes mostly from your amp and which brand is better is completely subjective. You just have to go get your hands on some guitars.

This is the only way you can decide which guitar you would prefer.

Our opinions don't matter - lots of people are recommending the PRS, but I'd prefer the Gibson. Actually, with $3,000 to spend I'd be looking at Gretsch. None of that matters to you.

Just get out there and play stuff.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
GaryBillington,your right. It doesn't matter what guitar you or any one else would prefer. I'm more interested in players experience in the choices i have presente. Really the trouble im having is there's so many different models to choose from. Like,what is the sound difference between an $800 lp w/57 pups and a $2500" lp w/57 pups?
Truly,i don't need to spend 3k. If i can get what om looking for at a much lower price great. What i want is the best sounding/playing guitar i can get my hands on. Im starting to think amp choice is going to be more important than the guitar. Never the less,I want a nice guitar. If only to inspire.
Quote by SpiralArchitec7
GaryBillington,your right. It doesn't matter what guitar you or any one else would prefer. I'm more interested in players experience in the choices i have presente. Really the trouble im having is there's so many different models to choose from. Like,what is the sound difference between an $800 lp w/57 pups and a $2500" lp w/57 pups?

the wood/materials they use to make them. The more expensive would be "superior" but not always better sounding or feeling to the player because once again it's all preference.

Personally I prefer gibsons and even then I like their cheaper models, because in my own mind I don't think that woods and stuff in a higher price bracket make enough to be the difference of $1000's of dollars. The PRS's I played always just felt like they're trying to be gibsons and I also dislike the looks of them. I have kind of a personal rule against buying a guitar that's over $1200 dollars because of the way I treat my instrument at shows.

But again this is all personal opinions and you wanted experiences and these are mine. In the end I'd probably just get a Fender or Gretsch ahahah
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
Quote by SpiralArchitec7

There shouldn't really be any significant difference*. The Studio is designed to be the same as the Standard, made with all the same wood & hardware, just without all the flashy bits like edge binding and flame top. That's the whole point of it - it's the same guitar, designed as a workhorse rather than something that looks good on stage.

* In reality though, as Gibsons are handmade even two guitars that are technically exactly the same will have slight differences which is why you should always play a guitar before buying it, especially with Gibson.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I3p4rd thank you. Your input is exactly what I'm looking for. As far as the prs's trying to be gobsons. Well thats probably because mr smiths mentor was i believe the chief engineer on 3 of gibsons models.
But anyway. thank you again .
Garybillington. So what your saying is i could put some 57 pups in my epi lp and get the same tone as a $2500 lp? Because the truth is i love the way my epi feels. It just sounds ki.da mudy and doesn't have much sustain.
Last edited by SpiralArchitec7 at May 9, 2013,
Quote by SpiralArchitec7
Garybillington. So what your saying is i could put some 57 pups in my epi lp and get the same tone as a $2500 lp? Because the truth is i love the way my epi feels. It just sounds ki.da mudy and doesn't have much sustain.

probably not the same tone, but a good one. I know a couple people that prefer the feel of epiphones over gibsons and if I'm not mistaken John Lennon was one of those people?
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
I know this dealer very well and have purchased from him several times. I highly recommend looking into what he has, either PRS or Gibson.

No Trem Used PRS Suggestions:

PRS McCarty
PRS MC58
PRS McCarty

There are a couple of other Used models. This dealer has a huge selection of new if you'd prefer that direction. Note that the weights shown on the ad is the Shipping Weight, not the weight of the guitar.

If you have questions about a specific model let me know and I can tell you what I know about it, if anything.
Quote by SpiralArchitec7

No. I'm saying a Gibson Les Paul Studio will sound pretty much the same as a Gibson Les Paul Standard.

Gibsons are built to meet high quality standards, Epiphones are built to meet a budget. Upgrading the pickups in your Epiphone will make a difference, but it will still be an Epiphone and not a Gibson.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Go to the guitar shop and test every PRS and Gibson in that price range and pick the one you want... and play them on the amps you are thinking about purchasing as well...

The last time I picked a guitar I only had $700 budget and it took me two months to decide what I wanted. If I hadI $3000, I'd be at the guitar shop every day for 6 months before I finally picked one...

I would say that PRS is more consistent concerning their high level of quality, but if you compare any PRS USA model and a Gibson Les Paul Custom, you will find equal quality with a different feel and sound.
Last edited by RedJamaX at May 9, 2013,
Quote by l3p4rd
probably not the same tone, but a good one. I know a couple people that prefer the feel of epiphones over gibsons and if I'm not mistaken John Lennon was one of those people?

+1

it won't sound the same because they are constructed differently with different quality woods, but it will be very close as long as the hardware is the same (nut, bridge, strings)

Quote by GaryBillington
No. I'm saying a Gibson Les Paul Studio will sound pretty much the same as a Gibson Les Paul Standard.

Gibsons are built to meet high quality standards, Epiphones are built to meet a budget. Upgrading the pickups in your Epiphone will make a difference, but it will still be an Epiphone and not a Gibson.

+1

go to sweetwater.com and look up the cherry finish for the Gibson LPJ, Studio and the Standard... with the same pickups, they are basically the same guitar with different finish and trim options. Priced at $700, $1400 and $2600
Last edited by RedJamaX at May 9, 2013,
Quote by l3p4rd

Epiphones in the Beatles era were made at the Gibson plant. If you're going to quote little diddies like this learn the whole story first.

OP You've already got a good Fender amp quality wise. Depending on what sound you're after it may or may not be suitable but I would recommedn finding the guitar you want first, one that feels right to you, then use it to audtion your prospective amps.
You've got enough money at $3K for s seriously high end guitar. At that price level one isn't "better" than the other it's simply preference and you won't know that till you play them some.
Moving on.....
With $3000 to spend on a guitar, if you go used you could probably buy both a Les Paul Standard and a PRS 24.

I'm torn, I prefer the tone and quality of a PRS but I've never liked the feel of them. I greatly prefer the feel of a Gibson 60's neck over several PRS guitars I've played. IF you do get a PRS, I'd try and get a rosewood neck for $3000. The tone is so rich and full.

It might be a bit off the wall but have you looked at Carvin? You could go all out with a custom from them and buy a new set of pickups and still have about $500-$1000 to put towards a good amp.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
If you go the Custom 24/Custom 22 route you will want to go with a Custom 22 since the 24 will come with a trem.

As for quality, you can be pretty much be guaranteed top-notch quality with ANY US Model PRS. I'm very sorry, but the same cannot be said for Gibson - and that includes the Custom. I speak from experience, not my ass. That is not to imply that Gibson cannot produce a flawless guitar, they can. It's finding that guitar that may take some time.
I appreciate the necks on PRS guitars much more than Gibsons that I've played. Plus, a PRS Tremonti model might just be the perfect guitar for you in that it blends the whole LP with PRS style, and it's made to be hard hitting when necessary but then clean up extremely well. The new model no longer has the "Tremonti fret", in case that was an issue. They are expensive, but for a reason. One of the best all-rounder guitars you can buy.
The world doesn't revolve around you. If it does, beware. You're probably about to pass out drunk.

The 19 year old who knows his stuff. Most of the time.
If you are truly gunning for the LP vibe (and decide on not getting a LP) might I recommend the SC-58. I cannot say enough about this model. The 2-piece bridge is incredible. If you get a chance, do yourself a favor and play one. They also offer a stripped down version with a lesser top and no binding for less money, no difference in sound or playability of course.

Last edited by thehikingdude at May 10, 2013,
Thank you every one for your input. Every single one of you were very helpful and a wealth of information. As well i hope this thred helps some one else.

After my last visit to the guitar shop i have decided the PRS is a God like instrument. I have no doubt that this may be the last guitar that I ever have to buy. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CU24PTFFRB ( Who Am I kidding, we're all guitar junkies ) now my big dilemma is amp choice. And i thought that was going to be an easer choice. It was going to be eather a mesa mark V or a marshall 210. But the guy at sweetwater through a rivera into the mix and he swears up and down that this is by far a better amp than either of the two previously mentioned........ well back to the guitar shops trying to find one that has a Rivera.
Attachments:
CU24PTFFRB.jpeg
The CU24 is THE Quintessential model for PRS. How did you like the trem on it? Assuming you found no issues with it staying in tune. If you do decide that the trem is of no value to you, you can always block it off.

Enjoy!!!
Quote by SpiralArchitec7
Thank you every one for your input. Every single one of you were very helpful and a wealth of information. As well i hope this thred helps some one else.

After my last visit to the guitar shop i have decided the PRS is a God like instrument. I have no doubt that this may be the last guitar that I ever have to buy. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CU24PTFFRB ( Who Am I kidding, we're all guitar junkies ) now my big dilemma is amp choice. And i thought that was going to be an easer choice. It was going to be eather a mesa mark V or a marshall 210. But the guy at sweetwater through a rivera into the mix and he swears up and down that this is by far a better amp than either of the two previously mentioned........ well back to the guitar shops trying to find one that has a Rivera.

That is a beauty!.
Also keep in mind that Vendors like Sweetwater will deal a bit. The price you see posted can be lowered over the phone if you're talking buying then and there.
While I've never dealt with them personally the vast majority of feedback I've read on other forums is very positive.

Good luck.
Moving on.....
Just a little update for those interested. This is the guitar I actually bought...
Custom 22 w/stop tail in dark cherry sunburst
Damn...late to the party on this one! In was going to suggest a few brands...and custom luthiers. But you've chosen an excellent guitar.

Now to amps...

IMHO, the HRD is a very good amp- I have one myself. But tonally, it IS kind of vanilla. Still, that transparency makes it a good workhorse amp for a lot of different styles. With the right pedals, i can do almost anything i want and sound...well...as decent as my skills allow. My guitar teacher uses one as his main gigging amp for blues, classic rock, jazz, and C&W gigs all over Texas. That flexibility is part of what sold me on them.

But if you want something for a particular genre, you might indeed want to branch out a bit. I want to add more heavy music to my repertoire, so I'm looking hard at Orange combo amps. (I love Boris.)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 19, 2013,
I didn't go through the whole thread because I'm on my phone. It sucks.

Have you looked at suhr or anderson etc. If i were to buy a prs it would be a 513 or cu24. Gibson r9 would be my choice.

I like lp's over prs, but that is my personal preference. Either way you will get something nice.

as it has been stated the amp is more important for tone, buy what feels best in your hand.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Damn...late to the party on this one! In was going to suggest a few brands...and custom luthiers. But you've chosen an excellent guitar.

Now to amps...

IMHO, the HRD is a very good amp- I have one myself. But tonally, it IS kind of vanilla. Still, that transparency makes it a good workhorse amp for a lot of different styles. With the right pedals, i can do almost anything i want and sound...well...as decent as my skills allow. My guitar teacher uses one as his main gigging amp for blues, classic rock, jazz, and C&W gigs all over Texas. That flexibility is part of what sold me on them.

But if you want something for a particular genre, you might indeed want to branch out a bit. I want to add more heavy music to my repertoire, so I'm looking hard at Orange combo amps. (I love Boris.)

Hey thanks Danny. This is the guitar I've wanted for the last 20 yrs. As for the amp question I have a 70'sFender silver face Bassman that I'm sending out to have the black face mod done. And as soon as I pay off this guitar I'm gonna pick up a Mesa Boogie Roadking. As you said the HRD is vanilla. So I believe with those two amps there shouldn't be any ground I couldn't cover (destroy) ;-) .