Oooooh that's a big box

Mmmmm Styrofoam

I wonder what it could be!

An original Rev1 Bogner Uberschall!

First Impressions review:
She sounds nice. A big bass that seemed to fill my room with a nice thick tone. There's a lot of treble on tap too but even with my V30 filled Mesa 4x12 there's no fizz! Thank God
The EQ controls are a little tricky. It seems the Bass doesn't control how much there is, it dictates how low and big it gets, the mids seems to add treble when high but scoop when low and the treble almost acts like a presence. The Presence on this one takes the cake though, nailing scooped tones when low but really filling out and thickening the mids when high. It sort of acts like a conventional presence too but it seems to have more of an effect on the mids. One thing to note though, you can get a great tone with any EQ combination, it's more of a tailor to suit type of thing. The range however wasn't as big as I was expecting it to be. My Krank Rev+ has the biggest EQ sweep of any amp i've tried. I'd say it even had more bass than the Uber but it was a higher punchier bass whereas the Uber sounds low and murky.

I haven't tried her with an OD pedal yet, but i'm working on getting one. I may feel like she needs a tad more mids. Also one thing to note, this has to be the best sounding amp for leads i've heard yet. It sounds so organic and fluid but clear and distorted in the upper register it's insane! I'd suggest anyone looking for a lead amp to look into the Rev 1 and 2 Ubers! It really highlights how harsh and fatiguing the Krank tone is is the highs. I'm also about to switch in an EMG HetSet into my ibanez S and see how she sounds with actives, i've heard good things. Although it can nail metal well with passives and no boost! It's not loose like a Recto, but rather it sags and breathes like an amp should. Works surprisingly well for high gain Chinese 12ax7's in the pre and JJ EL34's in the power, it seems to work well, however i'm keen on swapping and changing.

The gain control is a bit counter intuitive, it seems to go from off to on almost immediately after 9 o'clock with not much control. Also the MV is a bit crackly and dead in a few spots (dirty pot maybe?)

Here's one for Cath, I'm not getting any volume on my clean channel. Not sure what the go is there, but i'm not majorly concerned since it's heading into my tech soon for a MM transformer upgrade. It came from the US so it's not running on 230-240V.

I am also considering putting an EL34 / KT88 bias switch in. We'll see how it goes.

Here's where you'll all want to kill me. I picked it up for $1650 US! Although shipping and customs brought it up past 2k

Family shot!

No clips since I don't have a mic. Let me know what you think guys!
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

Sweet!

Not enough Bogners on UG.

Edit: put some real tubes in the preamp and see what happens...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Last edited by R45VT at May 8, 2013,
Quote by R45VT
Sweet!

Not enough Bogners on UG.

Definitely not, they're such a great amp as well. Built like a tank. Not sure about the white knobs though, thinking some black chickenheads will look better
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

Got a schematic? My guess would be a tube. Try subbing a spare into different positions and see what happens. It may have a dedicated cleans tube.

HNAD
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
No schematic, Bogner is super secretive about them for whatever reason.

My gut feeling is that it isn't a tube, but i'll give it a shot anyway and report back.
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

Amp companies that try to keep their schematics secret shit me to tears. What good does it do? If a small builder clones them what does it matter? And a big company will do it regardless of whether the schematics are published or not. So I fail to see what good it does apart from pissing people off.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i would guess it did as well, my peters had two tubes dedicated to the clean channel.

i'd leave the white chicken heads, i think it looks good and it's easy to see the position of the knob against the black. just my .02
Stellar score there!

I briefly jammed on an Uber the other day when I picked up my Fender cab. Wish I would have had more time/been able to play it through a Mesa or Orange cab (instead of the Marshall I played it through), but based on a few minutes with one, they're definitely beastly! I'll agree that they're much tighter than a dual rec, but still with a bit of natural "sag". Sometimes I miss that when playing through my ENGL. Cheers to boutique high gain heads!

HNAD!
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Nice! Sorry to hear about the tech problem, but killer amp nonetheless!

And nobody has reverse engineered that mofo yet?

Quote by gregs1020
i would guess it did as well, my peters had two tubes dedicated to the clean channel.

i'd leave the white chicken heads, i think it looks good and it's easy to see the position of the knob against the black. just my .02

+1

I tried different colors on my Ecstasy, and black is far too difficult to see in low light, and doesn't look all that great, IMO.

Quote by cdr_salamander
Nice! Sorry to hear about the tech problem, but killer amp nonetheless!

And nobody has reverse engineered that mofo yet?

I've got the schematics sitting in my pile of crap somewhere.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Actually, they were in my utensil drawer.

One half of V1 is used as a common input stage, one half of V2 is used as the second clean channel stage. Dunno if that's the factory numbering though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
+1

I tried different colors on my Ecstasy, and black is far too difficult to see in low light, and doesn't look all that great, IMO.

I've got the schematics sitting in my pile of crap somewhere.

I'm just not a fan of the white looks weird to me.

Hit me up with those schematics, they could be of great use to me!

EDIT: Beat me to it. Thanks Matt, i'll check it out.

EDIT 2: Are those for the Rev 1/2? Because the Rev Blue and Twin Jet have different circuits again
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

Last edited by Guitar-KID125 at May 9, 2013,

sweet rig

HNBD

nice review too

can't really help on the clean channel but I know for a fact that V2 on my Splawn is the input for both clean and dirty channels with V1 handling cleans. When Splawn added a 4th preamp tube to better the cleans it was the addition of the 'now' V1.

I have been running lately with no V1 tube at all. Obviously, I have no clean channel now but for some reason, to my ears. the drive channel sounds a bit fuller. Go figure. Probably just my mind playing tricks.

Either way, tube rolling will sort that out, like Cath said.

Edit I see Matt found a schem in some random drawer LLOL

and yeah - black knobs will just get washed out unless they have a nice white stripe

red knobs might work for ya

Edit: or frickin Blue knobs. Yeah, score some blue knobs
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at May 9, 2013,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

sweet rig

HNBD

nice review too

can't really help on the clean channel but I know for a fact that V2 on my Splawn is the input for both clean and dirty channels with V1 handling cleans. When Splawn added a 4th preamp tube to better the cleans it was the addition of the 'now' V1.

I have been running lately with no V1 tube at all. Obviously, I have no clean channel now but for some reason, to my ears. the drive channel sounds a bit fuller. Go figure. Probably just my mind playing tricks.

Either way, tube rolling will sort that out, like Cath said.

Operating voltages can change significantly when you pull one tube, particularly one as far downstream as V1.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
wait ^ ...... is that bad

No, it just means you're not crazy and pulling a preamp tube can change the tone of the rest of the amp.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

I have a 2000 word Biology essay to write, it's impossible to concentrate with it staring right at me screaming to be played!
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

You... bastard... I'm so jelly right now, you could smear me on a sandwich.
Ibanez Art100 (DiMarzio Evo in bridge)
Epiphone Goldtop (SD Black Winters
6505+ Head
Avatar 2x12 (Eminence Gov/Swamp Thang)
If you get ones with prominent white markers, I'd go for black chicken heads too. You need ones with a big fat stripe.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
well i would say congrats....but from what i read it sounds terrible.

not versatile, disfunctional gain control, not really much cleans, a pot is messed up, transformer needs replacing.

shit man, why did you buy this thing?
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by ikey_
well i would say congrats....but from what i read it sounds terrible.

not versatile, disfunctional gain control, not really much cleans, a pot is messed up, transformer needs replacing.

shit man, why did you buy this thing?

Can you read? It's go shitty Chinese tubes in it.

Tranny is being replaced due to him living in AU and getting it from the US.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Last edited by R45VT at May 9, 2013,
Extended Impression:

Regarding the clean channel I noticed V4 wasn't lighting up. I took the chassis out and inspected the wiring, looks to be a cold solder joint under that exact position. Upon reinstalling and powering up, the V4 tube lit up and the clean is warm and powerful. My guess is the knocking around brought the connection back together. Ehhh the tech will sort that out.

The gain control is actually starting to become very useful. Reinhold Bogner had visions of creating a fire-breathing metal monster when he created the Uberschall, and the gain channel reflects that. It saturates quickly, but allows very fine tuning of the high gain to reach the exact amount you want. Of course lower-mid gain are still achievable, but you'll need a steady hand.

One thing i'm really enjoying is after you set your desired eq, you can pretty much use that for anything. I have my metal tone dialed in, and I play modern metal, old-school metal, VH and even rock with the same setting, and it works a charm. It's like the amp responds to your playing and reacts favourably to the style.

I have some new pre's on the way and she's going to get the new PT next week. I'll let you know how that changes the tone, i've been told a toroidal step-down introduces some compression so i'm keen to see how she all turns out
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.