Hi, I read in many threads that most Americans choose to drive 'stick shift' (Automatic gear box). I also note that I see in films, the gear shifter in the USA is often not between the two front seats - but on the steering column.
(I've never seen this on cars in Europe).

In my country if you take the driving test with an automatic gear box, you cannot drive a manual gear shift car with the same license, as manual is obviously harder. Is this the same as in the USA?

The driving test in England is quite tough, although I have no idea if it's tougher than the American one. It's probably near identical.

* Multiple-choice theory test (50 questions over 40 mins) 86% correct needed to pass.

* Hazard perception test (Video test to test reaction times over 20 mins or so).

* Vehicle maintenance safety checks on car & Practical test (driving test - up to 45 mins with: reverse parallel park, parallel park and emergecy stop etc).

I think this may be why people want to go for a full manual license over here, and get it over with - rather than being crippled by an automatic license as people can not be bothered to re-take the test and risk failing. ($123 down the drain).

I was just guessing other than the fact the USA is a huge country and therefore your foot must get really fatigued on the clutch pedal over long journeys, why the USA seems to sell (mostly) Automatic cars?

Is this maybe linked to either big miles needed, or perhaps your automatic gear box test, is easier than your manual test? Our is identical, just you cannot legally drive a manual on an automatic license.

Traffic is so bad here in England (UK) in the inner city, that many people now drive automatic gear box, although passing on a manual driving license.

The main failure in the test over here is you don't get to go on 5 lane-wide Interstate (Motorways), or get tested at night time. (I believe that is changing soon though).

How hard do you think the Driving test Alberta is?

Thanks for the education.

P.S Is it true you can still use a cell-phone whilst driving? That is illegal here. Smoking and eating at the wheel is a potential problem also as it constitutes not having two hands on the wheel/paying attention.
Last edited by david cameron78 at May 9, 2013,
David Carmeron high as fuck, posting in the pit and shit

Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Stick shift is manual not automatic
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Not that tough. Unless you laminate the forms.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Quote by SMH07
Dave wtf are you doing san?

#Headsgone

He's moving to America. He wanted youse to hear it from him first.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

our driving tests are a joke, but also depends where you live, our license covers auto, and manual. my driving test was in a very rural area...so basically I stopped at a Light, was told to turn down a very deserted road, make a 3 point turn and drive back to the DMV....DONE!
Quote by JackalUK
Guys....I think he's a robot...

Who, TS or the real David Cameron?
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
There is no "American" driving test.
Manual transmissions are not hard to drive.
Most Europeans drive like idiots.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
There clearly isn't enough included about round-a-bouts
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Our tests are pitiful and our roads are full of god damn idiots.
Last edited by Macabre_Turtle at May 9, 2013,
Quote by Jackal58

This^

Driving test are different from State to State or even county to county.

In my state, there is no "standard" test. The driving test in my town is a lot more involved than the test in a town 30 miles down the road (in a different county).

Now, I said more involved. The test here is not difficult at all, but, the one up the road makes our test look like a Mensa exam..
Hi, I read in many threads that most Americans choose to drive 'stick shift' (Automatic gear box).

''Stick shift'' and ''automatic gearbox'' negate each other. Stick shift is manual, hence the use of the ''stick''. And automatic ''gearbox'' is just called automatic, or automatic transmission, hence the the term ''automatic''. There's also TipTronic, which is a pussy ass version of manual, and TBH it's pretty much not even manual.

I also note that I see in films, the gear shifter in the USA is often not between the two front seats - but on the steering column.
(I've never seen this on cars in Europe).

Actually it's very commonly in between the two front seats. Steering wheel shifters are more popular on European sports cars but some car companies have recently started incorporating the European wheel paddle shifters into some newer, more affordable cars here in North America. I saw a nice Hyundai showcased at the mall the other day with paddle shifters on it.

In my country if you take the driving test with an automatic gear box, you cannot drive a manual gear shift car with the same license

That's ******ed on so many levels. Sounds like a government money grab to me. In Canada and I'm 99.9999% sure everywhere in the U.S. you just need one license to drive manual or automatic.

The driving test in England is quite tough, although I have no idea if it's tougher than the American one. It's probably near identical.

You'll have to compare the standards. One thing though is you'll have to get used to driving on the other side of the road (and on the other side of the car) if you cross overseas and want to take the test. I know if I went to England and drove a car I'd probably be mind-****ed for day while I was getting used to it.

Here in Canada though, and this varies between provinces. You need to get your G1, which the basic license (which has more restrictions: can't drive at night, blah blah), then you get your G2 (which has less restrictions) then your G, which lets your drive whenever and however you want, except not drunk. You get what I'm saying.

I know in NB my cousin had her full license at the age of 17 and she started when she was 16. I started at 16, got my G2 a year after and then a year after that I got my full G license. It's roughly the same model, bought some provinces have some variations. I heard some crazy shit about Alberta though, like kids getting their full license at 17 and it's apparently too shit simple.

In the states it's most likely different. But here in Canada it's often done with different steps between licenses. Here in Ontario it goes G1, G2 then G. The after 4 years of having your G it's mandatory that your insurance drastically drops in price. Unless you've had at fault accidents. In Quebec it's probably the same thing, except with different terms and slightly different regulations.

I was just guessing other than the fact the USA is a huge country and therefore your foot must get really fatigued on the clutch pedal over long journeys, why the USA seems to sell (mostly) Automatic cars?

My foot never really got tired. You just have to adjust your seat and all and make yourself comfy. The rest is just practice and it'll be so second nature you won't even notice. Stick shift can get pretty annoying in an accordion traffic situation. Also, in North America there are still a shit ton of manual cars being made. Although over the 20 years or so, the automatic transmission has taken over majority. 90% of the time though you can get a manual version of the car you want, except if it's like, a van or something.

Is this maybe linked to either big miles needed, or perhaps your automatic gear box test, is easier than your manual test? Our is identical, just you cannot legally drive a manual on an automatic license.

Over here the test for a manual car only includes the category where the test proctor wants to see you can properly change gears and know when to change gears and you have to know when to clutch in and clutch out. And of course they need to see your ability to get up and go in first gear without stalling. If there's any downshifting ability requirement then I think that would vary from state to state (or province to province).

How hard do you think the Driving test Alberta is?

Probably pretty much the same as it is in every other province/territory in Canada. Here in Canada we don't have as many (if any) differentiating laws like the U.S. does in between states. Things tend to be a bit simpler and across the board in Canada. You'll see some slight differences like in Quebec you can't turn right on a red, or things like slight variations in BAC limits. Obviously variations on fines will be noticeable. Just go to a Canadian Tire and pick up a student driver's handbook and they're all pretty much identical across the board.

P.S Is it true you can still use a cell-phone whilst driving? That is illegal here. Smoking and eating at the wheel is a potential problem also as it constitutes not having two hands on the wheel/paying attention.

That's one example right there of laws that may differ across lines. Here in Canada I think it's illegal in most provinces to talk on a cellphone WITHOUT a handsfree device. That means you have to have a bluetooth or some handsfree cellphone device if you want to use your phone in your car. It started with Quebec a few years back, Ontario followed and I think all others have caught on. In the states, I'm not sure.
Last edited by metalblaster at May 9, 2013,
Quote by Jackal58

Yep, we're terrible.

Seriously, how do you have a 95 car pile up? Do you not have brakes in your cars?
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Trowzaa
Yep, we're terrible.

Seriously, how do you have a 95 car pile up? Do you not have brakes in your cars?

I see your 95 and raise you to 259.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/5871271/Autobahn-crash-involves-259-cars.html

Ohh and the answer is usually fog.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
It should be about 1000x harder than it is. All I had to do was drive down three roads with no other traffic. Make one right hand turn and two lefts. And parallel park behind one car. Lasted less than three minutes..
Quote by metalblaster

That's ******ed on so many levels. Sounds like a government money grab to me. In Canada and I'm 99.9999% sure everywhere in the U.S. you just need one license to drive manual or automatic.

Not really much of a money grab when damn near everyone takes the manual test which allows you to drive both.

And I think it's crazy that you can drive a manual if you've only been tested in an auto. There's some fairly major differences between the two.
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
Quote by jambi_mantra
Stick shift is manual not automatic

This.

Manual gearboxes = best.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by Sampy
Not really much of a money grab when damn near everyone takes the manual test which allows you to drive both.

And I think it's crazy that you can drive a manual if you've only been tested in an auto. There's some fairly major differences between the two.

Can you walk and chew gum at the same time?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can't drive stick for shit. I happened to learn on an automatic. I own an automatic. Don't really care.
#DTWD
Quote by Sampy

Its mainly because people laugh at you if you can only drive auto

And I agree on the second part, there's a big difference to pushing a pedal and the car going and having to work the clutch yourself. If you havent had any experience with a manual and you just go out and try and drive one on the road then you'll cause a lot of problems.
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
I don't find driving a manual any harder than driving an automatic. Changing gear is done almost sub-conciously when you get used to it.
RPD - Finger Pickin' Good
All you have to do is take a multiple choice test which is pretty much all common sense and recognize some road signs to get your permit. Then for your license, you just have to make a few turns, and parallel park. But if you fail parallel parking, you're still good. Well here, at least.

But it really should be harder. People with driver's licenses are ****ing idiots.
Quote by THEdevilYOUknow
No, it's plain science, women are evil

Quote by MB343
Women = time x money
time = money
Money = √evil
women = √evil x √evil
women = evil
I passed my driving test and that was ever after completely failing the paraelle parking segment.
Depending on where you take it, it's usually pathetically easy. Mine was go around the corner parallel park, go up the street to a light and take a right on red. Go up the street to another light where they tried to trick you into turning right on red (there was a sign that says you can't) make a 3-point turn, turn left into the dmv, done.

No highway, no merging, no parking in a normal parking spot, no backing out of a normal parking spot, no backing up in general really. All things that the average driver around me seems to have some severe problems handling.

Especially the parking in a normal spot/backing out part. And the merging too, that concept seems lost
Quote by WaterGod
I passed my driving test and that was ever after completely failing the paraelle parking segment.

Most people don't really care about parallel parking. It's not exactly something you do everyday. They just want to see you fail I guess
Quote by THEdevilYOUknow
No, it's plain science, women are evil

Quote by MB343
Women = time x money
time = money
Money = √evil
women = √evil x √evil
women = evil
Quote by rpd
I don't find driving a manual any harder than driving an automatic. Changing gear is done almost sub-conciously when you get used to it.

Exactly. The only part you really have to finesse and learn is balancing the clutch to get it in first. And even then, once you know how to do it, it just gets better and better the more you do it. Which in my case, took me like a day to get it.