I never really payed much attention to amps (not having much money LOL) but now I got $$$ and looking to buy. What would y'all say is your favorite amps for playing more stuff like punk, indie, alternative, blues, classic rock? I'm using a Fender Stratocaster but I'm probably going to get a gretsch double jet electromatic or SG. For pedals I use mostlly a Digitech EX-7, Boss DS-1, and a Ibanez didital delay.

THANKS
Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Oh sorry here is some more info

My budget $1500.00 at the most.
Genres mostlly indie rock, punk, blues stuff like Jack White(The White Stripes, Raconteurs), Dan Auerbach(Black Keys), jamie hince(the Kills, Scarfo)
For new and used I would rather buy used to save money.
I play mostlly home but I do jam with a drummer pretty often with no PA tho.
Closest City would be Houston, TX.
With gear like I said Strat, few pedals, as for amps I have a Fender Mustang mini this old Gorilla 30watt and I use some time this Simons 200watt monitor.

Sorry for not giving this info earlier.
Quote by ridley 10000
Oh sorry here is some more info

My budget $1500.00 at the most.
Genres mostlly indie rock, punk, blues stuff like Jack White(The White Stripes, Raconteurs), Dan Auerbach(Black Keys), jamie hince(the Kills, Scarfo)
For new and used I would rather buy used to save money.
I play mostlly home but I do jam with a drummer pretty often with no PA tho.
Closest City would be Houston, TX.
With gear like I said Strat, few pedals, as for amps I have a Fender Mustang mini this old Gorilla 30watt and I use some time this Simons 200watt monitor.

Sorry for not giving this info earlier.

It's fine, everyone's new at some point.

I am not to well versed on the stuff you like, but I'm going to take a stab here and say that you would probably do well with a good Fender of Vox. Your budget is pretty healthy, so you good probably get a nice vintage Fender such as a Deluxe Reverb or maybe even a Twin (my favorite Fender)

On the Vox side an AC30 of the nicest calibre could be gotten easily.

I'll let someone else step in as I am an admitted no-nothing for your style of music
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Im into the same kind of stuff you are and also looking for an amp if you look at my fender amp thread. although you have a little more money. I know jack white uses a very rare vintage silvertone amp so thats probly out of the question but hes also been seen using a fender twin reverb and so has dan auerbach as well. On the other hand Hince uses a /13 something or other but as far as i know its kind of more on the vox side of the spectrum. I think Fender and Vox are your best bets. Vox being more indie/brit rock while the fender more american blues rock style
As other people have said, get a good clean amp, probably something like a Fender Twin, which takes pedals well. Look at getting a high quality fuzz pedal or something similar too, considering that fuzz pedals are a large part of both The White Stripes' and The Black Keys' sounds.
Quote by Showiddlydiddly
As other people have said, get a good clean amp, probably something like a Fender Twin, which takes pedals well. Look at getting a high quality fuzz pedal or something similar too, considering that fuzz pedals are a large part of both The White Stripes' and The Black Keys' sounds.

This.

I have a bunch of different amps and rack gear, but if I had to get rid of all but one rig, right now I'd keep my Fender Twin and pedalboard. The possibilities are endless.
A Fender Twin is THE perfect foundation for pedals and it'll keep up with (or bury) even the loudest of drummers. I promise you will never be short of power or volume.
And the cleans are dreamy, even at ear bleeding levels. Nothing better in my opinion.

I'm in the Indianapolis area and I see Fender Twins on Craigslist fairly regularly for around $600-$700 used. That's a great deal. I got lucky and picked mine up a few years ago for $550.

Good luck with your search!
Damn i wish i could find one that cheap id pick it up in a second Im in SATX and theyre at least 900 dollars everytime i see them
You'd probably be best off with a Tweed Fender circuit. Doesn't look like there's much in that area on Houston's CL though.

Quote by DannyV783
Damn i wish i could find one that cheap id pick it up in a second Im in SATX and theyre at least 900 dollars everytime i see them

If you're in San Antonio, check the Austin CL. Much better prices.

http://austin.craigslist.org/msg/3785206640.html $625
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
ooh cool thanks never thought to try that and im going to austin pretty soon anyway
The twin reverb with fuzz and other various pedals is literally the perfect choice. Hit that ad up quick too, it's a pretty good price.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
yea i just msgd him. Says in perfect condition COSMETICALLY i wonder why he had to specify that though?
Alright cool I do like the fender twin's and every body got some thing good to say about them. I like the way Vox's look but I haven't spent any time with one hahaha. Yeah and with a good fuzz pedal that will be awesome
How often you you end up changing the tubes on your amps?
ask him when the last time the tubes were changed and if he's ever taken it for maintainace and for what. Make sure you try it and fiddle with all the knobs and make sure there's no excessive crackling and that everything works (make sure the reverb does what it's supposed to and such) and the inputs all are good.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120