Ampeg VH140c!!
Price: $100

I have a sickness and I just can't stop! I think my GF is about to stab me. I keep finding stuff on craigslist and every single time it's a "once in a life time deal" that I just can't pass up. Of course, that's all in my head, because I seem to have no trouble finding them.

Ok. On to the review.

I'm sure many of you metal heads are familiar with this amp, famously used by Suffocation and to this day, Dying Fetus. For those of you not familiar with it, it's a mid-90's solid state metal machine. This thing has insane amounts of gain, and a really raw, crushing sound. In fact, John Gallagher from Dying Fetus currently uses this thing alone with no effects live, and has on a few albums -- Although I read that Terrence Hobbs of Suffocation puts an EQ and/or a boost in front of it.

So the reason I got it so cheap (they usually run $300-$450) is because he said it starts cutting out after 5-20 minutes of playing, and that it needs some soldering work done. A quick search online will tell you that this is a pretty common problem with these amps, and is easily fixed. The other reason, is because the chorus doesn't work, but I don't really care about that. He was asking $250, and after I came and pointed out a few more problems with it, he agreed to take $100 since neither of us really knew just how much was wrong with it. It was sounding pretty rough at the time I checked it out and started cutting out after about 10 minutes. The good thing is that it's in really good shape given it's age.

On the drive home all I could think is that I really have my work cut out for me...

So I take it back to our practice studio, hook it up, and we end up jamming for about 5.5 hours without a single problem. It sounded fantastic the whole time and never cut out once. I was expecting it to sound rough like it did at his house, but it never showed any of the symptoms that we had seen. So I started thinking, and my guess is that he had the wrong impedance load set for the cab or something, and it was overloading it? I'm not even sure what the cab was, and he really knew NOTHING about amps. He kept asking me which knob controlled the drive, because he just plays on the clean channel. Either way, I think that was a pretty solid torture test. Nearly 6 hours blasting away with the volume at about 5, which is actually really f***ing loud.

I hate using this word, but the distortion channel on this thing is really brutal. It's very unique, and stands out in the mix very well. I was so in love with my Randall + OD boost, but now it doesn't seem so amazing anymore. While the Randall can get into extreme territory with a boost, the Ampeg has no problem getting there with the gain at 6-7. Not only do I prefer the sound of the Ampeg, but I really like the fact that I don't have to mess with another pedal when switch between clean and distortion channels. Speaking of cleans...

The clean channel on this thing is just awesome. The whole reason this guy had it was for the clean channel. It has a pretty wide range of sounds from deep, bluesy, ultra-clean type sounds to light-med overdriven jazzy tones. Also, the reverb is just fantastic. Where my Randall had just serviceable cleans, and my Carvin was pretty good, this thing is just perfect. Just the sound I want, and actually, is fairly close to what I had dialed in on my POD HD300 that I just loved.

So here is the family. These are all mine besides the Egnater, which is my other guitarists. Like I said, I have a sickness -- these aren't even all of my amps. I really need to get rid of some. Anyone wanna buy a Carvin V3M?
A mean machine indeed. I want one, badly. Alas, Ampegs are not that common around europe.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Ha, we have the same disease.

I'm gonna get one of these one day, just waiting for one to meander across my Craigslist.

HNAD!
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Ippon
Nice! Hope the fix(es) will be simple/inexpensive.

With the way things are looking now, it might not need any fixing. My guess is that the problems were due to mismatched cab impedance, because frankly, the guy didn't know what he was doing, and it was a mystery cab. What ever the problem was, it didn't show itself in the 5-6 hours that we were jamming last night.
Quote by Offworld92
Ha, we have the same disease.

I'm gonna get one of these one day, just waiting for one to meander across my Craigslist.

HNAD!
Depending on where in SoCal you are, this very well could have been within your reach

Now I just need to decide whether it's trustworthy enough to take up to LA for a show on Saturday...

Thanks, guys!
they still make guitar amps, lol.

Nice score!
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by ExDementia
1. With the way things are looking now, it might not need any fixing. My guess is that the problems were due to mismatched cab impedance, because frankly, the guy didn't know what he was doing, and it was a mystery cab. What ever the problem was, it didn't show itself in the 5-6 hours that we were jamming last night.

2. Now I just need to decide whether it's trustworthy enough to take up to LA for a show on Saturday...

Thanks, guys!

1. Sweet! I'd still get it checked. I'm paranoid about these things.

2. I'd bring a back-up. See 1.

Quote by ExDementia
Just put it through another 2.5-3 hours of jamming. This thing is rock solid. Does anyone know if the wrong impedance load can cause it to have those problems that we saw? I just want to make sure I know what's going on with this thing before I take it on stage.

Other than going below minimum load (4 ohms in this case, i think) which makes the amp push more watts than its capable of and overloading the thing, no. SS are not picky about loads. They just get weaker as load gets higher, push out less watts.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
One of my favourite amps. People who think SS sounds awful need to listen to these and JC120s. HNAD
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
hey...i think you really need to get another guitar amplifier. perhaps in head form. might really balance out your rig.....

but really, how do you think the egnater stacks up? just curious. i was looking hard at a v3m.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Ampeg made some nice tube guitar amps too. The Revererocket is a little pearler.

The VH140C isn't my sort of amp but I understand why some people like them.

HNAD
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Ampeg amps are sexy.

HNAD!
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by ikey_
hey...i think you really need to get another guitar amplifier. perhaps in head form. might really balance out your rig.....

but really, how do you think the egnater stacks up? just curious. i was looking hard at a v3m.

The Egnater is nice, but a bit dark sounding. Not as dark as the V3m, but doesn't have too much high end bite. It really shines on leads though, the mids really push through and having footswitch selectable lead and rhythm boost is nice.

The V3m is now my least favorite. Its a great amp, it just doesn't work as well for modern high gain metal. For what I play, it was always just pretty good, rather than great. I think i'll be selling it pretty soon.
Nice! I recently got an ampeg reverberocket and I love it. Ampeg guitar amps are great.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by ExDementia
Just put it through another 2.5-3 hours of jamming. This thing is rock solid. Does anyone know if the wrong impedance load can cause it to have those problems that we saw? I just want to make sure I know what's going on with this thing before I take it on stage.
As mentioned before it can handle as low as 4 ohms and higher impedances do not cause damage.

A common problem is for solder joints on the pots and jacks to crack because of the stress of being mounted to both the circuit board and panel. The cracked joints will often work fine but as the amp heats they can open up and lose conductivity. Just keep using the amp and if these issues pop up try reflowing the solder connections on the panel components.
awesome get dude

you got some great amps there.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae