I'm thinking of making the sound hole square, instead of keeping it round. i might make it triangle or some other shape as well, but is this bad for the guitar?
I bet it won't be noticiable, but maybe you will grow to like the intresting flare it brings about.
Gretsch make an acoustic with a triangle sound hole
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
are you talking generally, or are you talking about taking an existing guitar and cutting the soundhole to a new shape?
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
I honestly don't think the shape matters. Soundholes come in all shapes and sizes and are not always located where one would expect it by 'traditional' standards. I think Gretch have made an acoustic with F-holes and Ovation have made one with lots of little holes around where the soundhole would typically be placed. Those are just two examples. As long as it serves its function well - and looks and sounds good - who cares!
As long as the bracing is fine, go for it.

I was really looking into drilling the sound hole of side of the guitar, just because of the possibility of extra projection of sound to my ear. An added bonus is more top for more potential tone, so I'd say it's all good.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
the soundhole on the side of the guitar is called a sound port, and often brings a lot more bass to the player. i love 'em.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by UnmagicMushroom
I honestly don't think the shape matters. Soundholes come in all shapes and sizes and are not always located where one would expect it by 'traditional' standards. I think Gretch have made an acoustic with F-holes and Ovation have made one with lots of little holes around where the soundhole would typically be placed. Those are just two examples. As long as it serves its function well - and looks and sounds good - who cares!
OK, so maybe shape shape doesn't matter, but size does, (at least in this case).

The guitar's sound hole is a reflex port, and tunes the guitar to a specific frequency.

I have two Ibanez guitars, with virtually identical body sizes and volumes, yet the sound holes are two different sizes.

I expect that computer design has a great deal to do with sizing the sound holes of today.

Guitars with F-holes have an entirely different voice than a flat top steel string, and that is predicated in large part on the size and shape differences between the two opening designs. Keep in mind the most frequent complaint about F-hole guitars is they're not loud enough, and kinda dull as well.

As to Ovation's approach with many small holes, they are concentrated in one area, and their total area needs to be taken into account. The body resonance of the fiberglass is different from wood, and placing the sound holes in the upper bout, reminds me of a half ass compromise leaning toward a sound port body.

But yes, The Gretsch "Rancher" with the triangular sound hole is an awesome looking instrument, that I deeply wish was available left handed. With that said, don't let the shape fool you, the area of the hole is still the over riding issue.

TS, if you feel the need to cut a square hole into the top of you guitar, don't let me stop you. But know this, if you screw it up, I'll be lurking here to tell you, "I told you so".
Last edited by Captaincranky at May 10, 2013,
Quote by TwoPlusTwo
I bet it won't be noticiable, but maybe you will grow to like the intresting flare it brings about.

you mean more of a treble sound?

i wonder if an electric/acoustic would face that flare if plugged in and sounded through an amp.
Quote by GaryBillington
Gretsch make an acoustic with a triangle sound hole

I've seen some others with different hole shapes and designs. but if i create one that wasn't crafted for it to begin with? maybe...just maybe.
Quote by UnmagicMushroom

I've seen those before.
Quote by megano28
As long as the bracing is fine, go for it.

I was really looking into drilling the sound hole of side of the guitar, just because of the possibility of extra projection of sound to my ear. An added bonus is more top for more potential tone, so I'd say it's all good.

which side? how big of a hole?
Quote by patticake
the soundhole on the side of the guitar is called a sound port, and often brings a lot more bass to the player. i love 'em.

hmmm. that'd be interesting.
I would guess, but have no evidence to back up my guess, that squared off sound holes might just be more likely to crack the top from the corners of the square. I think of that early British jet airliner that crashed lots because the windows were too square. The Ovation idea of putting in upper bout seems a stroke of brilliance, in that it leaves a larger area of the soundboard without that big hole to interrupt the resonance. Again it is just a feeling.
Quote by Emster 23
I would guess, but have no evidence to back up my guess, that squared off sound holes might just be more likely to crack the top from the corners of the square. I think of that early British jet airliner that crashed lots because the windows were too square. The Ovation idea of putting in upper bout seems a stroke of brilliance, in that it leaves a larger area of the soundboard without that big hole to interrupt the resonance. Again it is just a feeling.

something to think about.