I'm doing a solo for the girl from ipanema and I'm wondering what are the best scales / modes / arpeggios to solo over these chords. The solo section in the version I'm doing has the following chord progression: Fmaj9 G13 C7 Gb7#11 Fmaj7 Gb7#11 Fmaj9 G13 Gm7 C7 Gb7#11 Fmaj7 If anyone could help me out I'd appreciate that, and also if someone could explain to me how to go about figuring out what works best over what chords I'd appreciate that too. Thanks.
F major scale. Yes, I know the chords are not diatonic to the scale, but it works. If you want to sound jazzy, study your arpeggios, and quote the melody in solo.

Listen to Stan Getz version on Spotify and transcribe horn solo. Key is Db.
Last edited by mdc at May 9, 2013,
Quote by dethh
I'm doing a solo for the girl from ipanema and I'm wondering what are the best scales / modes / arpeggios to solo over these chords. The solo section in the version I'm doing has the following chord progression: Fmaj9 G13 C7 Gb7#11 Fmaj7 Gb7#11 Fmaj9 G13 Gm7 C7 Gb7#11 Fmaj7 If anyone could help me out I'd appreciate that, and also if someone could explain to me how to go about figuring out what works best over what chords I'd appreciate that too. Thanks.

Rather than start with a scale, start with an idea.

The song has a melody. Can you play the melody? Can you identify what scale the melody is in?

If the answer to either of those questions is "no" then you should not be trying to improvise over the song.

You have to be able to play a melody before you can improvise a solo.

If you can play the melody, START with the melody. Then start to play with it. Don't play with it by picking notes at random within the scale you identified above. No, think first.

IDEAS. THEN NOTES.

When people just wank away in a scale over a progression like it invariably sounds horrible.

MELODY FIRST.
Learnthe actually melody that goes over the progression through out the song. When you solo play themelody but mix it up and change it around. The more you do it the more creative you will get until the melody is only a side thought for you to get through.

I did a guitar course and we studied this song. This was the advice we were given.

This method works and the pros use it.
Last edited by jkielq91 at May 10, 2013,
Use your chord tones - fine voice leading lines through the changes and work on variations from there.
The version of this song by Getz and Gilberto on the album "Stan Getz's Finest Hour" should help you understand the concept of starting with the melody. It may be the same as the LONGER version on Getz/Gilberto - there are 5:25 and 2:55 edits of the song, and the shorter ones truncate the solo in a way that makes what I was talking about unclear.