Page 4 of 20
The p90 Reverends I've heard in videos sounded great, but a lot of the designs don't grab me. I'm not into Vs and 3 p90s seems redundant.

That's the more common Sensei RT color, from what I can tell. The blue flake w. Bigsby is a bit harder to find. Not really wanting a Bigsby, but I've tried guitars with them and they seem pretty nice if one MUST have a trem, haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyN614y5ar0
^This will probably be my "p90" guitar, even though they're not really p90s. Probably won't buy one for a while though, I really need to grab some decent pedals (looking at Lovepedal) and fix up this fender blackface vibrochamp I was given (given in non-working condition with the understanding I had to pay to fix it, lol.) So I have to keep my guitar GAS in check.
Love the blue flake Sensei!

As for G&L...well, you really can't go wrong with them.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 7, 2013,
I was looking at this one, HARD: http://www.guitarsandeffects.com/2013a13a06reverendgoldtop/reverendgoldtop

...but I may have waited too long- its on hold for someone else.

I was looking at it and a goldtop Fernandes Ravelle- both about the same price- and went with the Ravelle (its just a little rarer). Ah, well...

If that person doesn't follow through with it, though, I'll be on it like a hawk!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Damn- nice find! Don't show it to JustRooster...

I know its not what you're looking for, but THIS was the G&L they had that caught my eye: http://www.guitarsandeffects.com/2013a04a02commanche/comanche

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 7, 2013,
G&L isn't too hard to find at my local Craigslist or on GC's used website. A MiA G&L can be had around $800 most days, maybe less if you get lucky. I'm pretty sure I've even seen better deals on Ebay.

But it is a nice color and if you like strats, it's probably amazing.
Part of what has me "HYP-MO-TIZED" is that its almost the color I would choose for a custom-order/new Comanche- I really like their metallic blue, which looks to be very similar in tone to that one.

Found this today: http://reverb.com/item/24419-reverend-gil-parris-signature

Looks like it's in good shape, and the pickup mod is probably a good one.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 8, 2013,
Now that is a damn tempting Reverend. Guitar Center recently added a used Reverend tele to their used section. No pics yet, but you can find pics of the guitar online.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/-i3380131.gc

I have to say, given the choice between a Fender, G&L, Peavey or Reverend telecaster, the Reverend is a very attractive option.

I have started to wonder recently if I'm a) being too hard on strats and b) being too nice to Les Pauls. I have yet to pick up an LP-style guitar and have it wow me. The weight definitely is a downside. The strat body shape is perfectly comfortable, maybe I just don't like them because I haven't played any particularly nice ones. I've been looking at the Godin Session, and it's slowly making its way onto my GAS list.
I'm thinking the G&L would win out for me...at least, if I was considering a MiA ASAT. A G&L Tribute vs a Rev would be a tougher fight. I still think I'd rather have a Tele-inspired Rev- like the Flatrocs and such- as opposed to an actual T-style.

But Godins? Man, those guitars are an incredible combination of performance, quality and price! As recounted elsewhere, I have very stupidly passed on a used Session, a used Progression, and a used Velocity at my local GCs over the past few months- I wanted to think overnight about buying them.

I have more than a few Godins on my GAS list: a Freeway, a Velocity, a Kingpin 2, a Session...

Yeah, the Session even has some sort of push-pull, so that single coil bridge sound is still available if you want it. They float around $300 on ebay and GC, and I'm thinking that even at that price, they're a steal.

My best friend is currently gassing for a 5th Avenue Kingpin, but we'll see. He has a history of playing cheap Squiers and other entry level guitars, despite being a far, far better guitarist than me.

I'm also pretty impressed with the quality of Gretsch guitars, but unfortunately the price-to-value ratio just isn't there, imo. The used market is pretty close to the new market in price.

I definitely hear you on MiA G&L guitars. Unfortunately, I don't have the $800-1,000 to spend all in one place like that, haha. For me, the comparison would be a Reverend t-style vs an ASAT Tribute Classic or Special.

Do you own any Godins, Danny? Or do you just lust at them from afar? Like me and Reverend.
Those aforementioned Godins- plus a Richmond Belmont and at least one Seagull (both subsidiaries of Godin)- are all in my list, but I keep missing out on the used ones I find, and other things interrupt me from getting the new ones.

I've been talking to my favorite axe salesman (and also bothnof that store's owners) about getting an Orange amp and a Seagull 6 or 12 for more than a couple of years now, and what have I done? Since April 2012, I've comissioned 2 customs from RockBeach and bought a pair of Fernandes Ravelles (#2 should arrive in about a week), a Malden Bad Karma, a Fret-King Super 60HB, and 2 Revs (the Flatroc 15th Anniv, and the Roundhouse). And I have 2 more Reverends, a DZPL and an Electra in my sights.

All bought from online retailers or dirty from the manufacturers. I've known the store owners since the mid-1980s, and when I went in with the Flatroc, one gave me a little talk 'bout making a purchase with them...

I have to be better about practicing what I preach, after all: the doctrine of enlightened self-interest (in econimics) dictates that if you want certain businesses to exist in your vicinity, you need to spend money with them. As such, a smart consumer will occasionally make purchases with those businesses, even if it costs them more in the short run, because it will be beneficial in the long run.

I'll have to get my EHX Epitome pedal through them. That'll make 'em smile.

Hmm, that reminds me of Malden... Damn, another cool-sounding guitar company. I've had my eye on a used GC Malden Karma, and also a Malden Mozak on ebay. There was a Stiger with Hot Rails on ebay selling for a ridiculously cheap price, and if I'd had the cash, I would have bought it. Beautiful superstrat with a great flame finish. Some random low-baller on ebay got just about the best guitar $220 dollars can buy, I tell ya.

How's the quality, fit, finish etc on your Bad Karma? I hear good things about Malden, but I'll never get a chance to play one before buying since there are only about 12 or so for sale online at any given time, haha.
I've had my eye on a used GC Malden Karma

Saw that one- if it were the plain flamed blonde...

I like my Bad Karma. I asked for the heaviest one he had in the shop- MOAR SUSTAIN!!!- and it still feels nice with the way it is contoured on the fat...errr...back side. The neck is sweet...a wide-ish but thin neck not unlike my Dean Cadillac.

Unlike the Karma, it has a black satin finish...only. And it uses Malden's most aggressive in-house pickups (the Subhuman uses Teslas). Where the Karma's pickups are voiced more traditionally, so its perfect for blues, classic rock, and most hard rock and juuuust gracing metal, the Bad Karma's edgier tones is perfect for hard rock & metal, but may be a bit hot for sultry blues tunes.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 9, 2013,
Danny, take the leap on the orange and the seagull. Honestly I'm not an acoustic player by a long shot, but the seagull really grew on me. Great guitar, low the neck in it, not to mention the projection.
I have never owned an Orange, prior to the TH30 and I'm glad I took the chance.
On another note, I still can't believe that the Daredevil is still on GC used. If I had the extra cash now I would snag that right up, it's been on their long enough it might be due for a price drop.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Oh, I AM getting an Orange and Seagull, don't you worry. Its just that the Internet steals I'm finding keep making me reprioritize my GAS list.

On the Orange, I should just get a Tiny Terror, but the Thunderverbs are just soooooooo nice!

And I've been in love with the Seagulls for more than a decade. I was going to get one a long time ago, but they had some kind of production issue: the one I wanted had a 6 month waiting list, so I wound up with a Yamaha classical instead. And I just never got back around to getting one.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 9, 2013,
Quote by bobafettacheese

On another note, I still can't believe that the Daredevil is still on GC used. If I had the extra cash now I would snag that right up, it's been on their long enough it might be due for a price drop.

The Malden Karma just took a price drop. To two hundred twenty-five. Holy hell, I just hope it stays there long enough for me to get the cash together.

Or if someone from here wants to buy it and put up a NGD, that's cool too.

In unrelated news, both Peavey Reactors sold on GC and I'm now down to 1 Reactor on my local CL, and nothing anywhere else.

Here's hoping a bunch of Reverends get posted to ebay and GC in the next month or so.

Current guitar GAS list: Malden Karma, Reverend Buckshot in blue, Godin Session, Peavey Reactor and a Malden Mozak.
Nice G.A.S. list! And I hope you get the Daredevil and/or Karma! Those are tasty deals.

BTW, samuraigoomba, have you ever checked out Malden's Store? They have a few in stock, and usually have a factory second Bulldozer worth looking at. Currently, theynDO have a Mozak for $449.

http://maldenguitars.com/store.htm

There are two guitars that are- oddly- not on the store's main page.

http://maldenguitars.com/storePMS.htm

http://maldenguitars.com/MISC.htm

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 10, 2013,
Pfffft, not at those prices. Not even with your credit card.

That Stiger that sold recently on ebay? About $240, max, shipping included. And it came with upgraded pickups (hot rails). The Mozak I'm looking at is just over $300. There's a Bulldozer that has been on Ebay for months, the guy can't sell it for 250-something. Case in point, I've got no idea how long that Karma has been sitting on a shelf at Guitar Center. It's been there a long-ass time.

It's weird with Malden. There's not much supply, but also not much demand. They don't sell very fast online, it seems like there are just a few of us who even know about Malden. Somewhere, some guy is sitting in his basement with about 20 Maldens he got for peanuts on Ebay, haha. Maybe Malden guitars are worth $500, but I'm a deal hound and I can't make myself pay full price for anything.

That "cracked neck pocket" kinda scares me, too.
Yeah, I wouldn't touch those- but the " paint blemish" one is OK.

Stil, I agree that there is nothing wrong with waiting for a good deal.

Now one of the Godin Sessions at GC just took a price drop down to $230. The picture is horrible quality, but it's still tempting.

And I didn't realize this, but the Malden Bulldozer apparently has a push-pull coil tap.
Quote by samuraigoomba
Now one of the Godin Sessions at GC just took a price drop down to $230. The picture is horrible quality, but it's still tempting.

That IS tempting. It's also illustrative of how few people have a clue as to wht Godin is all about. The Progression I saw there had been priced at $399 for several months before I found it...and didn't buy it soon enough.
Quote by samuraigoomba

And I didn't realize this, but the Malden Bulldozer apparently has a push-pull coil tap.

Yep- and as I recall, those are the same pickups as in the Bad Karma.

Rakafratz: knocked oer the case with my Bad Karma in it...and the toggle switch cover broke into 4 pieces! Not worrisome, but definitely annoying. Now I have to contact them to find out what kind it is...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121172506854?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

This mozak is having a little sale right now. Not too much off, but if you were thinking about it, it's even cheaper now.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-YAMAHA-PACIFICA-GOLD-DELUXE-PAC412-WC-109242659-i3261941.gc
Yamaha sure makes some beautiful strats. Shame that even a lot of the higher-end models seem to use Yamaha-brand pickups, trem systems and tuners.
Hah! Too many irons in the fire right now as it is!

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Oh, I AM getting an Orange and Seagull, don't you worry. Its just that the Internet steals I'm finding keep making me reprioritize my GAS list.

On the Orange, I should just get a Tiny Terror, but the Thunderverbs are just soooooooo nice!

And I've been in love with the Seagulls for more than a decade. I was going to get one a long time ago, but they had some kind of production issue: the one I wanted had a 6 month waiting list, so I wound up with a Yamaha classical instead. And I just never got back around to getting one.

Haha! I didn't figure their would be much arm twisting involved. When looking for the Oranges look at humbuckermusic.com they have great prices on Orange and most competitors will price match and do better to get your business. That's what zzounds did for my TH30, knocked nearly 200 off.
Line 6 M13
^never mind that. I just checked and they are the same prices as other places. I must have either caught a sale or got really lucky.
Line 6 M13
I had my eyes on a used goldtop Manta Ray- a color they don't make them in anymore- and couldn't quite get to it in time. Somebody bought it.

The gear hunt will continue...

At one time I was seriously gassing for a manta ray with p90s. Most of the colors weren't that awesome.

The recent Agile sale has totally thrown off my GAS list. I'm not sure whether a Karma, HSBF AL-3001 or Godin Session would be better, haha. And then there's always G&L and Reverend guitars. Too many choices.
Just to make life more difficult- what are buds for?- I recently found out Adirondack carries Maldens...but you have to email them to find out the actual prices:

http://www.adirondackguitar.com/electrics/malden/main.htm

(They also carry Revs.)

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 15, 2013,
I'm considering buying a Manta Ray or Tricky Gomez. Can folks offer an opinion on Reverend regular humbuckers vs the Revtrons?
Right now, Reverend uses a house-brand HB, the RevTrons, and the three different (new) RailHammers for their HB guitars.

Their main HBs are pretty good, and I would compare them to classically voiced HBs you see all over the place. They are not anything super special, but definitely good enough for everything from blues to hard rock.

The RevTrons offer a sound similar to the FillerTrons, upon which they were based. They don't quite go as far as TV Jones in recapturing that classic retro sound, but they do a damn good job. So expect a good bit of rumble that can be morphed into a respectable twang by tweaking your tone and bass contour knobs. I think they're perfect for things like surf, rockabilly, country and certain forms of classic rock, but not what you want for hard rock or metal.

The RailHammers- sadly, not yet available as a standard option on all their HB models- are voiced similarly to other HBs, but their hybrid pole & blade construction gives them a better overall tonal flexibility- I think there better for handling certain alternative tunings. The HyperVintage is, again, a mainstream HB in terms of its voice. The Chisel is a bit higher output, and the Anvil (bridge only, so far) is the hottest.

So if you want a mainstream classic rock tone, go for the HB model, possibly with an aftermarket swap for Hyperavintage. If you want a bit more retro or twang in your tone, go for the RevTrons.

I play a huge variety of music, from Jazz to Blues, Hard-Rock to Heavy Metal, Indie to Alternative, and more. This guitar will be mostly for Alternative Rock and Folk like Interpol, The Strokes, Biffy Clyro, Two Gallants, Band of Horses, The National, etc. But I also will be playing some Stoner Rock, Doom and Sludge so I want it to be handle loud volumes and fuzz.

I was aiming for the Tricky Gomez because I already have traditional humbuckers in my guitars, as well as a P90-equipped Edwards Les Paul and a Broadcaster-style Telecaster with a Wide-Range Humbucker in the neck. The Filtertron variety of pickup is not something I have in my collection and I've wanted to give them a shot.

My biggest concern is not that I won't like the guitar or even the pickups, but that I'll be stuck with them if I don't. Unless I have them rewound or change the construction of the guitar, I can't replace the pickups. I have no intention of changing the pickups, but I can't try it out beforehand so I need to be as sure as possible before ordering.

I also would prefer the Tricky Gomez for the blue satin finish, the cooler pickguard, and the Bigsby. I know you can get the Manta Ray HB FM with a Bigsby, but I'm not so keen on the colour or the pickguard.
Well, there are actually a fair number of mini-humbuckers out there in case you don't like the RevTrons, so swapping out shouldn't be much of a problem.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 18, 2013,
They're the wrong size. Mini-humbuckers are slightly different in size, and the Revtron's are thinner and taller than a regular Filtertron or a TV Jones.
I did some research and I found there are a lot of people who have discussed swapping Revtrons out (or in), but nobody has posted their solutions or final decisions.

As you say, there is some variation in Mini-H dimensions. There is the fairly standard 2-5/8” (2.625) x 1-1/8” (1.25)...and then other stuff. And the RevTron is "other"- supposedly 2.80" x 1.24".

I do know that people have suggested talking to Joe Naylor at Reverend/Railhammer to see if he has any suggestions. If nothing else, that will get you the RT's true dimensions. Others have suggested contacting Lollar, since they do have a few Mini-H designs (and he knows Joe), or TV Jones. Still others suggest checking out a variety of mounting rings. To that list, I'd also add talking Rio Grande and Vintage Vibe pickups.

VV may be your best option. Its essentially a one-man shop, so even his standard designs are essentially customs...and not too pricey.

I noticed that too. I thought about bumping a few threads on TGP, but resigned myself to the fact that I probably wouldn't get a response because the thread starters only have a few posts and wouldn't come back after two years to reply to that thread.

I spoke with Ken @ Reverend about swapping pickups and he basically said that he's never had to think about it and thus couldn't help. This was both annoying and reassuring at the same time.

The problem with going the custom route like Rio Grande is that the builder has to custom make the housing to fit the routing and rings, which can be incredibly expensive—kind of like custom ordering a single PCB—or find a used pair and rewind them, at which point I'd rather just buy the guitar and hope I like it. And if I don't, send it to someone like Jaime at The Creamery in the UK and have him rewind them to my specs.