Page 5 of 20
That was why I recommended Vintage Vibe- they may not be quite as good as The Creamery (whose products I like very much and am using in a custom build) but their products are still quite good AND affordable.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 18, 2013,
I'll soon have my cash together to start choosing between Godin, Malden and Reverend, haha.

That Daredevil on the GC site took a $50 price cut, FYI. $300, pretty sweet price.
Tough choices!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Tough choices!

Mmm. And adding to that this beautiful Fernandes tele.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fernandes-Tele-TE-2-Guitar-in-Tuxedo-Black-Made-in-Japan-/290979320326?pt=Guitar&hash=item43bfb81206

And who knows, I was also looking at the Gretsch 5120 because I played one at a local guitar shop and it was very nice, comfortable and had a great sound.

The main thing for me now is to sell the guitars I own that I'm not crazy about, and then get some more!
Can't argue with Gretsch... That IS a nice Fernands, though, and at a good price!

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Can't argue with Gretsch... That IS a nice Fernands, though, and at a good price!

My only concern is I haven't researched Fernandes MIJ teles much, and I don't know what the quality is like. Better than a G&L Tribute? Worse?

I do absolutely love that tuxedo finish. Hopefully all the dings and scrapes are a sign it was well-loved and well-used by the previous owner.

I was surprised how nice the Gretsch guitars were. I definitely approve of the Filtertron/Revtron sound.

http://reverb.com/item/20729-blue-frog-cabronita-telecaster-2013-coral-nitro
Speaking of which, it's too bad I can't find any reliable info on the quality of these guitars.
Last edited by samuraigoomba at Sep 20, 2013,
Fernandes

WTF was I doing when I wrote that?

Quote by samuraigoomba
My only concern is I haven't researched Fernandes MIJ teles much, and I don't know what the quality is like. Better than a G&L Tribute? Worse?

Hard to say, because Fernandes' product line structure is radically different from G&L

G&L basically has a bunch of models at 2 different levels- USA and Tribute. Fernandes has about 11 models, each with between 8-12 distinct versions in production at any one time.

Still, the MiJ stuff is Fernandes' best. I haven't tried a MiJ Fernandes, but I now own 2 MiK Ravelles that I utterly love. I got my first one almost a year ago, and still can't find a thing to criticize about it.

I can't help but think that MiJ Fernandes quality is going to be better than G&L Tributes. Maybe not as good G&L USA...but I can't say for sure.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 21, 2013,
Well I'm pretty much sold on the tuxedo finish TE-2. I'll probably wait a few business days and ask the seller some questions in the meanwhile.
If that falls through, I did find this: http://reverb.com/item/12155-reverend-pete-anderson-eastsider-t-satin-black

Yes, it's more expensive. But...

It must be an older model, though. The ones they're making now have 3 pickups. And a trem.

http://www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/eastsider-s/

Hmmmm...

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 22, 2013,
Ack- I must have "dain bramage": I simply wasn't looking at the right Rev. The one in that ad is a T, not an S model.

http://www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/pete-anderson-eastsider-t/

If I don't get this beautiful Fernandes tele, I'll probably go for a Reverend RT guitar, or maybe a Godin Session.

That Malden is a killer deal, but I'm set for humbucker guitars right now. Got two excellent humbucker guitars (MIK Epi SG with Gibson pickups, and a Viper 1000) and no good single coil guitars.
Makes sense to me.

That's still sitting there? Damn. As well, there's still the Daredevil at Elderly Instruments that is slightly more expensive...but with a lot more photo documentation.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
That's still sitting there? Damn. As well, there's still the Daredevil at Elderly Instruments that is slightly more expensive...but with a lot more photo documentation.

Most of these GC shops are more than happy to answer emails. I emailed like 4 shops when I was looking for an Ibanez RG... Before realizing I didn't want a FR trem.

Anyway, they were happy to answer my questions about the guitars.
I know, I know- whenever I buy a guitar from them, I always call and ask a salesperson to describe the issues with it BEFORE I put in the order.

But still...

I'm still planning to get that Tele, should have a NGD in a day or two unless someone beats me to the guitar. I emailed the seller and he knows I want it, his price is down to $375, too.

But I have to admit, now I'm getting unhealthily obsessed with Fender's Pawn Shop line. I've never liked their standard strats, teles and jags, but damn if the '51 Strat and Jaguarillo aren't calling to me, haha.
Quote by samuraigoomba
I'm still planning to get that Tele, should have a NGD in a day or two unless someone beats me to the guitar. I emailed the seller and he knows I want it, his price is down to $375, too.

Best of luck!!!

But I have to admit, now I'm getting unhealthily obsessed with Fender's Pawn Shop line. I've never liked their standard strats, teles and jags, but damn if the '51 Strat and Jaguarillo aren't calling to me, haha.

I'd rather have a Godin Richmond Belmont than a FPS '51 Strat:
http://www.richmondguitarscanada.com/belmont.html

...and a Godin Richmond Empire than a FPS Jaguarillo
http://www.richmondguitarscanada.com/empire.html

Pulled the trigger!

Fernandes TE-2 in Tuxedo Black with white/cream binding (a deal-sealer as far as looks go.) MIJ, hopefully a quality guitar. Cost me $375, which might be a bit high since I have heard legends of people snagging these for $300 (I'm such a bargain hunter), but it was still a steal compared to the other MIJ Fernandes Teles I could find for sale, and I like the looks of this one more.

NGD should be up in a week or so.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fernandes-Tele-TE-2-Guitar-in-Tuxedo-Black-Made-in-Japan-/290983769814?pt=Guitar&hash=item43bffbf6d6
Lookin' forward to that NGD!

The only weird thing is, my tele has an obvious serial number. Most Fernandes teles do not. So is it a later one? I can't figure out how to date Fernandes guitars. It could even be a Japan-only market or something strange.

I don't think it's a fake though, haha. What would be a point of faking a "fake" telecaster?
It probably is Japan only. Fernandes also owns Burny, and almost all of their "knockoff" bodies show up over there- I've never seen any except their LP, Strat and V body copies on the USA site. But if you look at Fernandes/Burny Japan, you'll see those, plus Teles, Mockingbirds, and the like.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FENDER-STRATOCASTER-STRAT-22-FRET-LOCKING-AMERICAN-PICKUPS-CUSTOM-WIRED-CA-RED-/121179164049?pt=Guitar&hash=item1c36d74d91

I know this is a "partscaster" and the all caps thing pisses me off, but if what this guy is saying is accurate, this looks like a hell of a nice guitar for just over $300. I love Candy Apple Red.

On topic:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reverend-Sensei-HB-H90-Naylor-Modded-Railhammer-GNARLY-90-Pickups-/141073726811?pt=Guitar&hash=item20d8a63d5b

Here you go, Danny.
Yeah, I just saw the new RailHammer P90 pickups about a day ago. They aren't messing around!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mako-Stratocaster-style-Strat-silverburst-mid-80s-vintage-MIJ-or-MIK-Kaman-/290983228768?pt=Guitar&hash=item43bff3b560

Danny, you like weird japanese guitars. Do you know anything about Mako? I see them online and they look cool. I have no idea if these are good guitars, but they're extremely inexpensive and there's a pretty cool butterscotch blonde tele on ebay right now.

Apparently some of the later Mako guitars are MiK instead of MiJ.

Oh, and where would you place Tokai strats in terms of quality? They float in price around $500, and it seems to me that at that price, you could get a Pawn Shop MIJ or American Special MiA. So these are either collectible guitars, or extremely nice for the money.
Actually, I'm not a sage when it comes to Japanese guitars. I know my Fenrandes models, but everything else I know about them I learned from other UGers, especially in the LP lover's tread.

Mako is virtually unknown to me, but that one you linked to looks nice.

Tokai, OTOH, has a big rep. As I understand it, they're the company responsible for making (legal) MIJ versions of Strats for Fender, and their guitars are generally of good quality, comparable to any maker's guitars at any given price. I have seen some very pretty Tokais, mostly LP-style. I'd definitely consider buying one. But, like many other company, they do make guitars outside of their homeland. Their Love Rock guitars are MiC, as I recall...but are among the better MiC guitars out there.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 27, 2013,
Quote by dannyalcatraz

Tokai, OTOH, has a big rep. (a) As I understand it, they're the company responsible for making (legal) MIJ versions of Strats for Fender, and their guitars are generally of good quality, comparable to any maker's guitars at any given price. I have seen some very pretty Tokais, mostly LP-style. I'd definitely consider buying one. But, like many other company, they do make guitars outside of their homeland. (b) Their Love Rock guitars are MiC, as I recall...but are among the better MiC guitars out there.

(a) one of the companies that does it. Actually I think dyna gakki (don't quote me on that) makes most of the MIJ fenders.

(b) they have MIJ love rocks too, love rock is just their LP model.

That's what makes it so hard to differentiate the higher end MIJ models from the lower end. 2-screw truss rod cover normally means MIJ on the gibson copies, but that's easily faked. They often have "Made in Japan" somewhere on them (back of headstock for the gibson copies, neck heel for fender copies), but not always...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Thanks Dave!

no worries, figured it was worth correcting. There are guys who know way more than me about MIJs, I just know the very basic rules of thumb so I don't get rooked too badly
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Hmm. I just found a $350 Tokai strat on Guitar Center's used website. But yeah, now I'm not sure how to verify it's a MIJ. The headstock is not a lawsuit.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-TOKAI-TST56-2-TONE-SUNBURST-DOUBLE-CUTAWAY-109520582-i3406932.gc

The GC staff sent me extra pics (damn, sometimes those salespeople go the extra mile for ya), so I'll post those in a bit. Shame they can't post more than one pic on the actual website. :p

The burst, for example, looks way less lifeless in an actually decent photo.
I'm not sure that it matters too much- I hear the Tokais are a better deal for a guitar $ for $ than most of their Fender counterparts...even the ones that aren't MiJ. Just ask them all the questions you can think of to figure out age & condition, then compare those answers to what you'd expect for a MiM or MIA Fender.

the non-mijs i've tried (not fender copies) were a bit meh. I'd want an MIJ one.

if you post pics maybe i can help. really your best bet is the tokai registry forum, though.
Tokai wanted to sell solid-body electric guitars in the USA and began selling altered versions of these early copy Strats that didn't violate any existing manufacturers trademarks. By 1982, Tokai introduced the TST-56 and TST-62 models. The TST-56 emulated the '56 Strat with a maple neck and the TST-62 likewise resembled the '62 Strat with a rosewood fingerboard. A January 1983 Tokai USA Price List indicates either guitar was offered at a retail list price of $570.00 with a tweed case. These guitars deviated significantly from the earlier Tokai guitars. Most apparent was the headstock's logo and outline changes to avoid looking like the pre-CBS Fender headstock and decal. Tokai added a flat side to the normally rounded knob at the end of the headstock and the logo was changed with 'Tokai' in fatter script with a regular 'T', not a backward 'F'-style letter. Overall, they were still an excellent value in 1983.

Fender noticed Tokai's superb workmanship and high quality during the company's efforts to find a partner to build instruments in Japan. According to The Fender Book, written by Tony Bacon and Paul Day, they spoke with Tokai and others regarding possible manufacturing partnerships. Fuji Gen-Gakki Corporation was eventually chosen to build Fender's guitars in Japan (Fuji is the maker of Ibanez brand guitars).

From the Tokai Registry.

I decided to go for it. Seems MIJ and vintage to me. TST-56, coming soon to a NGD near me.

Looks like someone on Reverb bought that Gil Parris that had been listed for $450.
Yep, someone very smart...but it wasn't me.

And looking forward to that NGD!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 28, 2013,
Well Danny, you can still snag that Daredevil on guitar center! The poor dear is just sitting all alone, unloved.
I'm still gunning for that silver Roundhouse RT at Reverb- I may pull the trigger next week.

And after that, I'm aiming for a DZPL Tagliare.

...and then, things get interesting...

Go for it! That Roundhouse is beautiful. You'll have to turn the flash off on your camera when you post your NGD, or that silver flake will blind you.

Yeah, try out that DZPL. I have no idea what to make of those guitars at the moment.