Hello, I'm quite new to mics and what different kinds there are. I'm in the military and will be deploying and was thinking of ways to pass the time and also do video journals for my wife back home, I'll be getting two mics in total.
The first one for my electric guitar which ill be using to record next to my 4x12, recording my classical guitar, and having video journals with my wife. I figure it would be nice to read to her during the night with nice quality sound.
The second mic would be for her that will be for her playing/recording banjo or hooking it up to my 4x12. She also sings.

So what should i do? what are some inputs you guys have for getting a nice versatile mice for doing these things? Also simple video recording software references are greatly appreciated, I'm wanting very simple. Thank you so much
Really need to know your budget, what type of recording gear you're using and if you have phantom power available. Given that information, we can recommend something that will work great for you.
Quote by Angelus333
I'll be getting two mics in total.

The first one for my electric guitar which ill be using to record next to my 4x12, recording my classical guitar, and having video journals with my wife. I figure it would be nice to read to her during the night with nice quality sound.

The second mic would be for her that will be for her playing/recording banjo or hooking it up to my 4x12. She also sings.

So what should i do? what are some inputs you guys have for getting a nice versatile mice for doing these things? Also simple video recording software references are greatly appreciated, I'm wanting very simple. Thank you so much

it seems you'll be using these mics mainly with a computer? if so a USB mic might be what you are looking for. many manufacturers produce USB versions of their microphones.

i have a couple of Audio Technica AT2020/2035 mics that i use for everything (vocals, acoustic, banjo, electric). they cost about 100 to 150 bucks, they make a usb version of the 2020.

edit: here is a sound clip of a song i recorded completely with my 2035 (the 2035 has a few more options than the 2020, but it is essentially the same mic).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15421780/music/ersatz%20waltz%20%28acoustic%29.mp3
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at May 9, 2013,
Quote by KG6_Steven
Really need to know your budget, what type of recording gear you're using and if you have phantom power available. Given that information, we can recommend something that will work great for you.

Really not to expensive, nothing over 300 or somthing crazy like that. im looking for simple, cheap and good quality really.
Quote by gumbilicious
it seems you'll be using these mics mainly with a computer? if so a USB mic might be what you are looking for. many manufacturers produce USB versions of their microphones.

i have a couple of Audio Technica AT2020/2035 mics that i use for everything (vocals, acoustic, banjo, electric). they cost about 100 to 150 bucks, they make a usb version of the 2020.

edit: here is a sound clip of a song i recorded completely with my 2035 (the 2035 has a few more options than the 2020, but it is essentially the same mic).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15421780/music/ersatz%20waltz%20%28acoustic%29.mp3

Ii actually have no idea how people normally record, i was thinking of keeping it simple and plugging the mic into a video camera actually. I would very much prefer a video camera for it being simple, i never understood how to use a computer to record video and audio at the same time. Plus video recorder is much more portable for a deployment
If you're only planning on recording to your video camera (i.e. not really going to create multi track recordings), I'd say you should just use the camera microphone.
There are some Zoom recording units that do good quality video and, to my ears at least, good/passable audio from the recordings I've seen.
I *think* the one I saw used in some videos was Zoom Q3HD... I don't have personal experience with them, but look into them for a single unit solution
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Quote by WaltTheWerewolf
sm57 it can do everything!

i was just looking at that mic, how would i hook it up to a video recorder? Also, is that a good way of recording for music/singing/talking in general? do i really need a software interface?
Quote by WaltTheWerewolf
sm57 it can do everything!

+1
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Quote by Angelus333
i was just looking at that mic, how would i hook it up to a video recorder? Also, is that a good way of recording for music/singing/talking in general? do i really need a software interface?

Shure SM57 is very good for recording music. You could try to get one of those Shure packages where you get SM57 and X2U (it's some kinda hardware interface, it's very small, doesn't take much space). However, I don't know how should you hook it up to video recorder.
Quote by JackovSlayer
Shure SM57 is very good for recording music. You could try to get one of those Shure packages where you get SM57 and X2U (it's some kinda hardware interface, it's very small, doesn't take much space). However, I don't know how should you hook it up to video recorder.

should i hook up the mic to a computer or a cam corder? is the cam corder a good option, do people do that?
Quote by Angelus333
should i hook up the mic to a computer or a cam corder? is the cam corder a good option, do people do that?

I don't know, I'm interested in making music not movies.
The X2U I was talking about is made to be plugged into the USB input on your computer.

I didn't say you have to buy it, I said you should consider it. SM57 is a great mic for not really big amount of money so it would be good decision to get (I'm planning to buy one for myself this summer). However, I don't know a lot about interfaces, so you should take advice from some other people too, I wouldn't like you to get something you won't like because of me.
You can get something like a Zoom Q3/Q2 and it will take up less space. I know space is at a premium in the military.
The Q3/Q2 are HD video recorders with exceptional mics. check out some Youtube videos.

Otherwise, the SM57 suggestion is full proof. I have some that are from the 1970's and they still work just fine
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate