instead of sitting. doesn't your ass get sore after a while? how do you prevent the sore feeling after a long gig?
Stand up and try and hit two kick pedals, or a kick and hi-hat and play the other drums without falling over your kit. You won't last for long.
Last edited by Malchius at May 9, 2013,
Because the flat foot technique is virtually impossible standing up and it's uncomfortable to play standing up in general. If your ass is getting sore, invest in a throne with thicker/softer padding.
Quote by Malchius
Stand up and try and hit two kick pedals, or a kick and hi-hat and play the other drums without falling over your kit. You won't last for long.

i have tried it and can do it, but i didn't try it for long. i seen the stray cats drummer playing like this, but not sure if he played an entire show like this.

maybe if the pedals or something were designed differently.
Quote by Second Rate
Because the flat foot technique is virtually impossible standing up and it's uncomfortable to play standing up in general. If your ass is getting sore, invest in a throne with thicker/softer padding.

i don't really play drums, but it seems like maybe the drummer would have more fun to stand with the rest of the band, and maybe more up front with everyone else.

but yeah, sitting while playing guitar is easier, but once you get used to standing then it's more fun to stand in my opinion.
Two pedals are impossible to play stood up with any accuracy/ power. Also as a drummer you can't really move around as such (since you don't carry your instrument), so there's little benefit to standing.
Quote by Lordyboy
Two pedals are impossible to play stood up with any accuracy/ power. Also as a drummer you can't really move around as such (since you don't carry your instrument), so there's little benefit to standing.

i see what you mean if the drummer was playing heavy metal or punk, etc. but something like jazz that's laid back might work.

i was thinking they could move around (even for a moment) during a break or during breaks in the song. maybe just be more of a showmanship thing.

anyway, it was just a thought.
Quote by dog_style
i see what you mean if the drummer was playing heavy metal or punk, etc. but something like jazz that's laid back might work.

In jazz, the left foot is usually hitting the hi-hats on 2 and 4 or some other type of constant thing like that. It would be impossible, or at the very least very uncomfortable.
Quote by Second Rate
In jazz, the left foot is usually hitting the hi-hats on 2 and 4 or some other type of constant thing like that. It would be impossible, or at the very least very uncomfortable.

slim jim phantom does it. it does feel more uncomfortable, but maybe some can get used to it.
like people who play guitar sitting all the time then go to standing, which is more uncomfortable at first.
Well, you can stand when the part of a song only requires cymbal hits and the complimentary bass pedal hit.
"Eyeballs deep in muddy water, fucking hypocrite."

Check out my drum covers.
Quote by NapalmBreakfast
Well, you can stand when the part of a song only requires cymbal hits and the complimentary bass pedal hit.

true.

i would just like to see a drummer up front at the same level as the rest of the band for club gigs.
Quote by dog_style
instead of sitting. doesn't your ass get sore after a while? how do you prevent the sore feeling after a long gig?

I have a better answer now

Play the part of your kit where there are only African drums
"Eyeballs deep in muddy water, fucking hypocrite."

Check out my drum covers.
Quote by NapalmBreakfast
I have a better answer now

Play the part of your kit where there are only African drums

give me a week to figure that out.
A sore arse is due to a badly designed or ill-fitting throne.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."