Page 1 of 2
Hey Everyone

I was wondering if you guys could do me a HUGE favor and check out this improv I just did below. It's blues. Maybe critique it a bit? Tell me what you think and what I need to work on? I'd REALLY appreciate it! Thanks, guys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0PJNA3o8QQ
Last edited by Serephim at May 9, 2013,
Can I get a suggestion of an occupation from the audience?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by lolmnt

Airline flight attendant!
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by lolmnt

Dentis!
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
blues on a bc rich

why

nvm i got to the sloppy "fast" scale part and realized you're just a dumb metalhead that learned 2 positions of the minor scale and how to bend and think you're a regular robert johnson now
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
That wasn't funny at all OP.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
^^ and for that matter, why do you keep your strings all long like that?
Seriously, I don't understand it. It's looks soo pointless and ugly.
Quote by Hail
blues on a bc rich

why

nvm i got to the sloppy "fast" scale part and realized you're just a dumb metalhead that learned 2 positions of the minor scale and how to bend and think you're a regular robert johnson now

Because it's a Custom Shop. Wicked versatile.

And if you think im just a metal head, youre wrong. I play classical guitar. Going to college for it. Berklee, thanks. And i have a masters in Theory and Comp. So, no, I am not just "some metal head" and I know much more than 2 positions of the minor scale. To what minor scale to you refer? Aeolian? Pentatonic? Hexatonic Blues? Phrygian? Dorian? Harmonic Minor? Double Harmonic?

I asked to critique my technique. Not my Theoretical knowledge.

Good Day.
Last edited by Serephim at May 9, 2013,
Quote by eGraham
Airline flight attendant!
Now a location
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Mexico
Quote by lolmnt

i lu you
Look at me, I'm an Airline flight attendant flying over Mexico. I hope nobody hijacks this plane.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by Serephim

And if you think im just a metal head, youre wrong. I play classical guitar. Going to college for it. Berklee, thanks. And i have a masters in Theory and Comp. So, no, I am not just "some metal head" and I know much more than 2 positions of the minor scale. To what minor scale to you refer? Aeolian? Pentatonic? Hexatonic Blues? Phrygian? Dorian? Harmonic Minor? Double Harmonic?

Good Day.

well played, TS, i almost fucking lost
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Seems too clinical and controlled for me to think it's good blues. Blues isn't just played with your fingers.

You have mad chops though, so just work on how to apply those chops to other genres and get behind the mindsets of different genres (not to imply there are rules to playing some styles of music, but it's helpful to immerse yourself in a different world).
Quote by Serephim
I play classical guitar. Going to college for it. Berklee, thanks.

You're a smug wee scranny aren't ya?

EDIT: And mate, you can tell by your awful clothes, perpetually sullen expression and ludicrous scale runs that you are indeed, just some metalhead,
Last edited by willT08 at May 9, 2013,
Step one of doing a blues improv: play blues

Quote by CoreysMonster

I still like cho0onger more than the 2 of you

Quote by OneHappyCamper
joke's on you, i actually fuck my cat
Quote by Serephim

Good Day.

In real school, we don't call it a "masters" unless you mean master's degree, which you don't have at age 17. If you do have one at age 17, why the fuck did you go into music?

also buttmad
Quote by Serephim

Good Day.
Someone tell Xiaoxi to go find this guy and slap him upside the head. And burn his B.C. Rich guitars.

Guitar solo sounded like any other crappy metalhead guitarist teenager who just learned how to solo. Too much gain, shitty bends, shitty coming-out-of bends, lousy timing, etc. It almost hurts to listen to.

And, tapping? In a Blues solo?

Plenty of wanking, not enough interesting.
There's a special sex move I do called the Charizard.
It's where you light the girls pubes, then put it out with your cum and run around the room flapping your arms screaming, "You don't have enough badges to train me!"
Quote by Serephim
I play classical guitar. Going to college for it. Berklee, thanks.

Did your dad donate a wing or something?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Well, shit. I thought everybody was just being dicks but that really did suck, TS.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
Quote by Serephim

Good Day.

fuck my life

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
fuck my life

Love it
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by whywefight
i like how the first thing he mentioned that's wrong with it is 'too much gain'
That's like, over half of what's wrong with it.

Hell, it's already even too much for playing most metal.
Quote by willT08
You're a smug wee scranny aren't ya?

EDIT: And mate, you can tell by your awful clothes, perpetually sullen expression and ludicrous scale runs that you are indeed, just some metalhead,

Tucker, you really are one cheeky fucker.
There's a special sex move I do called the Charizard.
It's where you light the girls pubes, then put it out with your cum and run around the room flapping your arms screaming, "You don't have enough badges to train me!"
Quote by Serephim

Good Day.

I bet all the girls want your penis because of your musical theory knowledge
Quote by cho0onger
Step one of doing a blues improv: play blues

This. The only time you played something bluesy was when you used that one pattern at the 12th fret and even that was average. The rest of it was pretentious wank that didn't really gel with the rhythmn and represent the feel of the blues at all. No emotion.

Also, this is the wrong thread to really get opinions on this.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Here, if you guys wanna cleanse your ears a bit, here's a guy who actually knows how the hell to blues jam:

The above statements are all incorrect.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
You need more blues phrasing and less sweep picking.
Quote by theogonia777
The above statements are all incorrect.
Then I ask of you, display what is correct, because obviously your opinions are gospel in your mind.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Then I ask of you, display what is correct, because obviously your opinions are gospel in your mind.

I don't know. Maybe something that is... actually blues?
While you are adequate in terms of technical skill, your improv sounded less like a solo and more like you were practicing scales. You should tone down the flashyness and focus more on being musical.
Page 1 of 2