I recently bought a used Blackstar HT-5 head, on the day I got it I didn't have a cab so I tried the emulated out with headphones and the gain all the way up on the overdrive channel and only achieved an ACDC kind of crunch level distortion.

I got a 2x12 cab today and I'm pretty happy with the clean sound, but have the same problem with the overdrive channel, even with the gain all the way up, I am still only getting a hard rock level distortion which I'm sure isn't right.

I figure either I'm doing something wrong here or one or both of the tubes may need changing, I'm guessing it would be the preamp tube as I had the distortion problem when using the emulated output, which I'm pretty sure disables the power section. I'm using an Ibanez S520 if that makes any difference. Am i mistaken in thinking the HT-5 can do metal without a boost?
Last edited by padricjoe at May 9, 2013,
Free bump. I'm not sure on the HT-5.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
I think you shouldn't turn on the amp if it's not conected to a cab. I would check out the tubes in the amp.
How loud are you playing your amp?
No, the HT-5 power section is safe if you're using the emulated output IIRC.

Honestly not sure on the preamp gain form the HT-5 because I can't stand blackstars so never really looked at the lower end ones.
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Quote by padricjoe
I recently bought a used Blackstar HT-5 head, on the day I got it I didn't have a cab so I tried the emulated out with headphones and the gain all the way up on the overdrive channel and only achieved an ACDC kind of crunch level distortion.

I got a 2x12 cab today and I'm pretty happy with the clean sound, but have the same problem with the overdrive channel, even with the gain all the way up, I am still only getting a hard rock level distortion which I'm sure isn't right.

I figure either I'm doing something wrong here or one or both of the tubes may need changing, I'm guessing it would be the preamp tube as I had the distortion problem when using the emulated output, which I'm pretty sure disables the power section. I'm using an Ibanez S520 if that makes any difference. Am i mistaken in thinking the HT-5 can do metal without a boost?

Well, it wont do modern ubergain metal but it can do general metal without boost. Here, have a listen. In this vid Ola plays around the amp boosted and without boosting. Does it sound similar to your HT5?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78eGsy5tFPA

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Sounds pretty metal to me.

If your amp isn't sounding like that it may have an issue.

If it is and that's not enough gain for you then invest in a decent distortion pedal... or an amp with more than 2 preamp tubes...
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
I used to own a HT5 and didn't think it was tight enough for my liking. Would be interested to hear the new 'HT5 Metal'....
Quote by MaaZeus
Well, it wont do modern ubergain metal but it can do general metal without boost. Here, have a listen. In this vid Ola plays around the amp boosted and without boosting. Does it sound similar to your HT5?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78eGsy5tFPA

That was one of the exact videos I looked at when trying to see if something was wrong. I don't get anywhere near as much gain from mine. I'm not looking for crazy amounts of gain, I basically want something around the level shown in that video (the parts without the boost)
Last edited by padricjoe at May 10, 2013,
Well, I'm just gonna go ahead and say it. You might want to consider a new amp...

It can do metal, but it's going to depend on settings, pickups, speakers, and whether or not it's boosted. You should get a new amp so you can get that metal tone without having to force the amp to do it. Definitely a used Peavey 5150 or a Vypyr. Don't get rid of the HT5 though. It has nice cleans and does "less-metal" tones well.

Also, Ola is a freak. Or a wizard. He has a knack for making shitty amps sound decent.

The alternative is to get a tubescreamer and boost the amp, or get a distortion pedal for some modern metal tones.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by JackovSlayer

How loud are you playing your amp?

At home I am playing around TV level volume but have tried it louder to see if it makes a difference but it didn't really. When I tested the cab, the guy I bought it from said that he thought the clean channel was very quiet as we were able to get it up to around full volume without it being too loud, which he said was odd as it is actually a very loud amp.
Quote by padricjoe
That was one of the exact videos I looked at when trying to see if something was wrong. I don't get anywhere near as much gain from mine. I'm not looking for crazy amounts of gain, I basically want something around the level shown in that video (the parts without the boost)

Then change the tubes. If it still doesnt sound gainy enough then i dont know what to do other than running a good distortion pedal through the clean channel.

@lemurflames. Ola is a wizard when it comed to mixing and mastering but his playthrough vids are unmixed. They should give a rough idea what the amp soundd like IRL.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at May 10, 2013,
I don't think swapping the tubes will help. It's basically a solid state amp with two preamp tubes sitting in the chassis.

I wonder what cab padricjoe is using. Ola used a Roadster 212. Most likely loaded with V30s. Tight cab and has that midrange bite, or so I've heard.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by lemurflames
I don't think swapping the tubes will help. It's basically a solid state amp with two preamp tubes sitting in the chassis.

I wonder what cab padricjoe is using. Ola used a Roadster 212. Most likely loaded with V30s. Tight cab and has that midrange bite, or so I've heard.

Yes, but afaik the tubes are gain stages aswell and if they have gone dud... Preamp tubes are not expensive so its worth trying.

So put new JJs or tung-sols in, just to be sure. If it has poweramp tubes, leave them for now.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at May 10, 2013,
I contacted Blackstar and they too advised me to change the preamp tube, so I guess I'll try that first. From what I've heard they aren't that difficult or dangerous to replace (compared to power tubes). Is it worth paying extra for gold pin tubes or should I just get a cheaper JJ?
Don't get the gold pins. Just get the regular JJ'S
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by R45VT
Don't get the gold pins. Just get the regular JJ'S

Okay will do. One last question, is getting a premium tested valve a better idea or are standard factory tested ones fine?
Quote by padricjoe
Okay will do. One last question, is getting a premium tested valve a better idea or are standard factory tested ones fine?

Don't pay extra for any of that BS.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Quote by R45VT
Don't pay extra for any of that BS.

Okay, thanks for the advice, I am new to this and appreciate the help.
Quote by padricjoe
Okay, thanks for the advice, I am new to this and appreciate the help.

Gold does not oxidize. It makes great connections- both sides should be the same material though. HT does not have gold sockets.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Just to let everyone know, I swapped out the preamp tube to a JJ and now the gain has practically doubled! The old tube had some deformation around the top so I guess it was faulty. Thanks for the help!
Glad you got it sorted out. Have fun!

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3