Hey guys!

I've been playing for a couple years now and my playing is finally starting to take off. One of the things I've always been interested in is building my own guitar completely from scratch.

Has anyone done this? If so, how did you get started? Is there anything that I will need machines for? I want to try to make it the best quality my building ability allows me to lol. I realize the first one I make will probably be pretty crappy, but I think this could be a cool hobby to have
Loads of people here have built there own. Unless you plan on building more than one and don't already have tools I would try to do a "kit" guitar first.

The tools will add up... loads of research and planning are needed. A good book is from Melvyn Hiscock titled "make your own electric guitar".

If you plan on building a few then buying the tools will be worth it.

Hope that helps a little.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
I "build" guitars in the manner that I buy a body and neck, then do the finish and hardware myself >.<
Silverburst
First guitar I built, I built the whole thing from scratch, shaped the neck, routed the body, binded it, I googled everything and built it based on an existing guitar, did numerous price lists and then when I figured I was good I did some more research and asked more questions on various forums. I budgeted $300 dollars for the build....

I think it came around to $700-$800 dollars with tools and other stuff that I didn't take into account...

But, it was totally worth it, I've since built a 2nd guitar and am currently working on a 3rd and 4th. So the accumulation of tools and experience was worth it. Plus i was lucky that my first guitar was playable, and doesnt look that bad... could look much better... but for my first build... and being in highschool... it turned out pretty good.

Just expect to spend more than you think you will spend.
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
I jumped straight into the deep end for my first build, which was a neck through flying V. Everything turned out okay from a structural perspective, but the fingerboard was too narrow and the fretting was AWFUL. As a guitar, the project was a failure - as a stepping stone and learning experience, it was a massive success. It really comes down to time and money; if you have enough of both, get straight in with a build from scratch and keep your chin up. Likewise, if you're unsure about the hobby and just want a taster with a guaranteed guitar out of it, a kit is a good way to go.

My second guitar wasn't plain sailing, but it was a success. I'm now on my third and fourth, both of which are massive improvements on the first two.
Besides needing a lot of money, there are a few other qualities you need also. Do you throw tools? Can you self educate. Are you a quitter? Do you blame other things for your mistakes? Can you be happy with something less than perfect? How's your anger management skills?
Do you have a place to build? A workbench, or any tools?
All of the money and desire in the world won't help if you can't be patient, practice, and learn by yourself.
A kit guitar or an Ebay project might be a better way to start. Your first guitar is a learning practice build guitar. Soldering, painting, setup, etc. are skills that take time to learn. Are you willing to take the time it takes to learn to do the job right, so you will be proud of your work?
Good luck.