My question is, is the OCD V4 a stripped down version of the Fulldrive 2, or are they totally different beasts inside?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
How about the GT500 in there too? I was looking at one of those three but can't find them all in the same place to try them out...
Gretsch 5120
Fender Jazzmaster
MIM Fender Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Misc Pedals
have to recommend CMAT MODS signa drive.

but to answer your question, not even remotely the same. and i prefer the fulldrive.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
far as i'm aware, the fulldrive is a glorified tubescreamer/sd1 type pedal with a clean boost in it, while the ocd is more of a distortion (though it sorta straddles the line between od and distortion).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, that's what I've read as well.

I'm basically vaguely looking for a higher quality SD-1. Mine is insanely noisy.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
test em. the OCD is very intense, in your face, lots of crunch borderline distortion. i dont think its much of a traditional OD in any way.

the fulldrive is much more. it has a lot of great settings on it and yes a boost. far from a glorified tubescreamer, that thing does a lot. great smooth drive, crunch, OD, boost, its a great pedal. IMO far better for your overall sound than an OCD imo.

if your looking for an SD-1 clone, the OCD is probably more similar.

...and please branch out from just the guitar center brands. soooo many great pedals out there. check on proshopguitar and prymaxevintage.com.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
the fulldrive is way closer to an sd1 than an ocd is

i dunno how close all those schematics are but i'm guessing they're "close enough", at least to illustrate the point I'm trying to make EDIT: Ok so I highlighted the appropriate bits there, the "business end" of each effect, as it were (as the boss has a whole pile of guff for the buffers etc., as does the fulldrive to a certain extent). And the newer fulldrives have more clipping options etc., but the general gist is the same.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 11, 2013,
Wut?
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

The problem with proshopguitar and prymaxevintage.com is that I'm not the kind of person that can or would drop $200+ on an OD.

Nah, but more importantly, I'm specifically looking for something that is like an SD-1, and most ODs are more reminiscent of standard Tubescreamers. The extra mids and grit are important to me. In the research I've done, the only name that has come up multiple times is the Fulldrive 2.

It's also a pain in the ass trying to research ODs because most people are weird and use them as standalone dirt boxes. Dafuq is with that?

@Dave_Mc I'm just gonna nod and pretend like I know what all that means.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
no worries, i only have a pretty shaky knowledge of schematics etc. myself

the sd1 is very, very close to a tubescreamer

have you tried a tubescreamer and not liked it? if so, that's fair enough (they do sound a bit different).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Offworld92

It's also a pain in the ass trying to research ODs because most people are weird and use them as standalone dirt boxes. Dafuq is with that?
That's what was frustrating when I was looking for a pedal. I ended up going with the OCD to boost my RG100es, but it really works well with everything I've put it in front of except my Ampeg, which really doesn't need a boost, but if it did, would like a more mid heavy TS style pedal. But that's not what I wanted at all.

With the gain at ~25%, it boosts my Randall into modern death metal territory, and with my V3M, i turn the gain on the amp to around 50%, then put the pedal at ~35-40% gain and the tone up to around 2-3 o'clock and that puts it into a good modern metal range that it couldn't quite hit before. It's a pretty dark sounding amp, though.

The HP and LP switch is handy depending on what range you want to boost, and the tone knob is pretty sensitive. An 8th turn or so is more drastic of a change than I expected, but I like that.

Edit: Oh and it's not noisy or fizzy at all. With the gain up past ~60%, it gets a bit muddy, but if you're using it as a boost, you probably won't take it up that high at all.
Last edited by ExDementia at May 11, 2013,
I have a TS7 as well. I like it fine, I just like the SD-1 better. Like I said, more grit, more mids. Tubescreamers are too smooth.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
i'd have said a ts had more mids than an sd1 (or at least, different mids)- that's going by my cheapo daphon and joyo clones, though, how the "real things" compare but yeah the sd1 does have a bit more grit/bite/whatever you want to call it.

it'd be worth looking into the different versions of the fulldrive since there seem to be some differences. when i did a google search earlier i came across a thread on tdpri when someone outlined the differences and said that one of the versions (i forget which ) was closest to the sd1/ts thing. But I haven't tried it, so
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
We probably read the same thread.

I'll probably end up getting a Fulldrive 2 eventually. There's no room on my board for one though. That's why I was asking about the OCD in the first place, cause I could just swap out my SD-1 for it, space-wise.

I'll need to get a Pedaltrain Grande or something, and those are really expensive for just a board (granted they do come with a flight case, but still...)

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
yeah i don't think an ocd is what you want (again, judging by my cheapo joyo clone).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm gonna try an MXR M77. They seem relatively uncommon, so I'll probably do a NPD when I get it.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
m77? I dunno what that is
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It's the Custom Badass Modified Overdrive.

But that title is stupid and way too long, so I just call it by it's model number, M77.

It has asymetrical clipping like the SD-1, and it has some cool controls on it (100hz knob, and a "bump" switch which I think is a low/low mid boost).

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
oh ok

i haven't tried it but yeah it's probably worth a try. i think i've heard it's asymmetrical but I dunno if i've seen a schematic. will take a look.

EDIT: yup seems to be asymmetrical. I'm guessing it's not too far off an sd1, since the guy who traced it says it's not unlike the zakk wylde od (and he used an SD for ages so I'm guessing the zakk od was strongly based on the sd1).

http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18600

schematic in the second post. that gyrator they're talking about seems to be different from an sd1, but the rest looks to be not a million miles away. I only had a cursory look at it and it's late, though, so I'd need to take a better look tomorrow (or better yet, get matt or cath or some of the other guys who know way more about electronics than i do to take a look at it ).

EDIT #2: yeah they seem to have an extra couple of op-amp stages for the 100Hz control. they mentioned in the thread that it's a gyrator, but i don't know what that is. It's getting beyond my pay grade, lol.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 12, 2013,
Quote by Offworld92
Yeah, that's what I've read as well.

I'm basically vaguely looking for a higher quality SD-1. Mine is insanely noisy.

i have all 3 pedals you mentioned, the ocd, the fulldrive and the gt.
They are all very different.
The fulldrive is your high quality sd-1 tho.
If you dont want to spend that much, try doing a monte allums mod kit to your sd-1. they are great.
Exactly what I wanted to hear, thank you.

I already ordered an M77, but if it doesn't work out, I'll know where I need to turn next.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by ikey_
test em. the OCD is very intense, in your face, lots of crunch borderline distortion. i dont think its much of a traditional OD in any way.

the fulldrive is much more. it has a lot of great settings on it and yes a boost. far from a glorified tubescreamer, that thing does a lot. great smooth drive, crunch, OD, boost, its a great pedal. IMO far better for your overall sound than an OCD imo.

Have had several Full-Drives. They pretty much are glorified Tubescreamers. A few tweaks, but other than that they're very similar. They tend to excel at the same things, though with the MOSFET version, you can get some pretty solid standalone OD tones.

if your looking for an SD-1 clone, the OCD is probably more similar.

...and please branch out from just the guitar center brands. soooo many great pedals out there. check on proshopguitar and prymaxevintage.com.

The Full-Drive is nearly bang on to an SD-1/TS. The OCD is nothing like it. It's definitely not ideal for what he wants though, and seeing as how he'll be using it as a boost, there's no reason to spend $200+ on it.

Quote by Dave_Mc
oh ok

i haven't tried it but yeah it's probably worth a try. i think i've heard it's asymmetrical but I dunno if i've seen a schematic. will take a look.

EDIT: yup seems to be asymmetrical. I'm guessing it's not too far off an sd1, since the guy who traced it says it's not unlike the zakk wylde od (and he used an SD for ages so I'm guessing the zakk od was strongly based on the sd1).

http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18600

schematic in the second post. that gyrator they're talking about seems to be different from an sd1, but the rest looks to be not a million miles away. I only had a cursory look at it and it's late, though, so I'd need to take a better look tomorrow (or better yet, get matt or cath or some of the other guys who know way more about electronics than i do to take a look at it ).

EDIT #2: yeah they seem to have an extra couple of op-amp stages for the 100Hz control. they mentioned in the thread that it's a gyrator, but i don't know what that is. It's getting beyond my pay grade, lol.

A gyrator is a little circuit that can simulate an inductor. The bottom one is the gyrator circuit, the last one is a filter. It's basically the 100Hz band from one of the MXR EQs tacked on at the end, post clipping. The Custom Badass is an SD-1, and the '78 is a DS-1, IIRC. The Custom Badass is a pretty sick little pedal, IMO. If you don't like it, the Wylde is pretty solid as well, though I find mine a bit noisy.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I didn't go for the Wylde specifically because if I want something with more control/options. The M77 looks great on paper. Just gotta wait and see now.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Exactly what I wanted to hear, thank you.

I already ordered an M77, but if it doesn't work out, I'll know where I need to turn next.

M77 is really good. 100hz knob put it in a different category to a normal tubescreamer so it works to sound nice and fat into clean amps, but you can still trim the 100 back and get all your regular boost type tones into a dirtier amp like the old sd-1
Quote by mmolteratx

(a) The Full-Drive is nearly bang on to an SD-1/TS. The OCD is nothing like it. It's definitely not ideal for what he wants though, and seeing as how he'll be using it as a boost, there's no reason to spend $200+ on it.

(b) A gyrator is a little circuit that can simulate an inductor. The bottom one is the gyrator circuit, the last one is a filter. It's basically the 100Hz band from one of the MXR EQs tacked on at the end, post clipping. The Custom Badass is an SD-1, and the '78 is a DS-1, IIRC. The Custom Badass is a pretty sick little pedal, IMO. If you don't like it, the Wylde is pretty solid as well, though I find mine a bit noisy.

(a)

(b) ah right, thanks

what would you want an inductor there for, out of interest? I know they're used in wahs etc. a lot but i'm guessing that's not the only use for them. A little knowledge can be dangerous, lol.

yeah from what i've heard/seen of the schematics the badass distortion is a glorified ds1 with different clipping arrangement and the od is a glorified sd1 with some more control.

they're SMD, aren't they? most of the smd pedals i've got (i don't have the custom badass) seem to be a little on the noisy side, but whether that's a thing with SMD or just the specific pedals I have, I have no idea
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The inductor is part of the active filter. And yea, I've noticed that as well. I think it's got more to do with the more compact layout and trace routing than the parts themselves. I know that when I shrink layouts to use 1/8w through hole resistors instead of 1/4w, I've got to be careful about routing.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
ah ok, thanks So it (vaguely) does something similar to in a wah, then? it's affecting the tone of the thing, anyway.

and yeah the small layout may well be why it's noisier, that's a good point. worth bearing in mind, i suppose, if noise is a problem.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?